Mini-14 Full Auto

When this thread was ressurected...

The question was asked if removal of the secondary sear would result in full automatic fire.

It is conceivable that burst may be achieved. But there is a danger to it that can damage the gun, injure the shooter and anyone near the shooter. Why? It's called timing. The purpose of the auto-sear trip is to delay the forward motion of the hammer. This gives the bolt time to lock up the action so as not to fire out of battery. Allowing the hammer to follow the bolt forward can result in the gun firing out-of-battery and firing out-of-battery is a no-no because of the safety concerns mentioned earlier. Even in a SHTF situation, I would not recommend trying it because it's better to have slow, aimed fire that allows for the barrel to cool (rather than ruin your barrel), increased hit probability than expensive bullets flying harmlessly overhead, and finally, having your gun blow up and you or someone next to you injured. To prevent firing out of battery, the gun designer introduces the selective fire mechanism which delays the hammer's fall so as to ensure proper lock-up.

My recommendation: Don't try it. Besides, it's not worth a visit from the nice gentlemen of the ATF. Spend the ducats and buy a real AC556 with the paperwork. Time outside of prison is time that may be enjoyed shooting it. That's worth every penny.

Allowing the hammer to follow the bolt forward can result in the gun firing out-of-battery

If you have a mini 14 go get it out of the safe and being to draw the charging handle to the rear while looking into the slot behind the bolt. Notice before the locking lugs are fully rotated out of position a “block” protrudes behind the firing pin, thus preventing the scenario you are talking about. With many other designs you are absolutely correct.

The tail of the firing pin was certainly designed to be function that way by Garand. It is achieved through the web of the receiver (that metal bridge that is seen when the receiver is flipped upside down). That feature has been carried over first into the M-14 and then by Ruger to the Mini-14. Still, the timing issue exists. Repeated pounding on the tail can result in its fracture and the firing pin can jam forward at some point in time.

Poorly made bridges, such as those found on some Springfield M-1A, can be susceptible to it. That's why it's important to inspect the tail of the firing pin and if it is stressed, to replace it on the M-1A.

Repeated pounding on the tail can result in its fracture and the firing pin can jam forward at some point in time.

It is true, water can erode granite, and we should always be on the look out. Good point.

converting a Mini 14

I was a class 3 dealer for 15 yrs. I've had a few AC556's there junk compared to an M-16. They were never designed as a military gun. They were designed as a police gun. I remember seeing the French Police using them in the late 70's. I had a brand new one i got from a police dept as a tradin. Fired a 30 rnd clip thru it and the selector blew off. inside there made just like the Mini 14. "Cheap" I wouldnt buy one.

I was a class 3 dealer for 15 yrs. I've had a few AC556's there junk compared to an M-16. They were never designed as a military gun. They were designed as a police gun. I remember seeing the French Police using them in the late 70's. I had a brand new one i got from a police dept as a tradin. Fired a 30 rnd clip thru it and the selector blew off. inside there made just like the Mini 14. "Cheap" I wouldnt buy one.

I have an AC556 13" model. I've fired thousands of rounds through it with absolutely no problem. No breakages, no melted barrel, nothing. I find it hard to believe that a selector on a mini-14 "blew off"?? The thing is in the rear of the receiver - no where near the chamber or any moving parts. Although, I have heard of one other AC556 with a selector switch that broke. It was easily fixed by the factory under the warranty program.

They are no less or more "junky" than M16's....which are basically disposable infantry guns. Their biggest flaw is the barrel that is not chrome lined and tends to heat up because it's not especially thick. The other complaint is that it's not as easy to swap out magazines as it is in the AR15.

An AC556 can be made to fire as accurate as an M16. Heavy 1" barrels and adjustable gas blocks are available, as well as well made tactical stocks. Personally, I'd rather have a factory made AC556 than an AR15 with a registered DIAS or lightning link. Talk about reliability problems!!

Back