Mexico's President says the US needs to give up it's Sovereignty

What businesses, other than taco stands?

O, I get it if you are a white guy opening up an ice cream and hot dog stand you are an entrepenuer?

If you open us a Taco stand you are just a trash Mexican yes?

Your post deserves the report button.

WildallowmeAlaska TM

The way I look at it Mexico shouldn't care if we raise a fence.. The only reason they should hate it is if THEY are doing something Illegal:D Liike oh.... Dropping Drugs on our side... or a couple dozen new cabbage pickers or factory workers.

Yes, but there really doesn't seem to be a middle class at all.

There is a middle class. It has been developing for years. But I admit it is seems small compared to the poor class. And yes there still is a large upper class that have lots of money and live very well. But there is a middle class. They live in small but nice homes. Not mansions, and not slums. The middle class & upper class inside Mexico usually speak English very well, unlike the illegal workers you see in the USA.

I think Calderón will find his statements will do more harm to Mexico than good. La Raza tried similar rhetoric about a year ago and it it backfired, I think the same will happen here.

You know, one thing I really miss about Phoenix is the taco stands. It'd be pretty spiffy if some of those opened up up here.

Aside from that I've found that as a whole Mexicans are no lazier or harder working than pretty much anybody else. Individually some of the hardest working people I've known have been Mexican.

As for the OP, I find it mildly amusing. I'm not particularly concerned about illegal immigration (less so than many here, to be sure) but it is amusing to hear Calderon complaining about us (gasp) enforcing our laws. And it's not like we're talking about particularly outlandish or draconian laws...we aren't rounding up illegals and sentencing them to death or anything.

Overall though I'd say the whole thing is shrugworthy.

Heard on Paul Harvey awhile back that a California based company that had won a bid to build this "fence" along the border to keep out illegal aliens was under investigation for employing....illegal aliens to build this fence.
Are there words to describe this......? Hello....? Hello....?

Calderon was supposed to be the right wing pres candidate, much more favorable to US interests than his populist opponent, Obredor. Oh well, either write this speech off as patriot rhetoric on Mexican independence day (Sept. 16); or perhaps dissolving US national sovereignty ain't really so bad to the ruling elite in either country?

Meanwhile, my new NC driver's license has a hollowgram of the North American Union emblazoned on the back!

Small, consistent steps.:barf:

You know, one thing I really miss about Phoenix is the taco stands. It'd be pretty spiffy if some of those opened up up here.

Because botulism and e.coli are a good excuse for a day off from work!

You don't wanna know the horror stories I've heard about the sanitary conditions I've heard of with those where inspections aren't required. Or how long old meat is used past its expiration date because it's cheaper, spices being used to disguise the fact that it's "rather off".

Just a hint: You REALLY think someone doing that for such a low return is absolutely likely to keep their meat in an expensive chest freezer at correct temperatures? Think about it. ;)

The controlling Mexican elite do not want change so they simply let the
American taxpayer take care of the problem. Our side is much the same
they want taxpayer subsidized labor and Mexico has a large waiting pool,
but in the end you always pay for cheap and have no doubt we will pay
now and in the future.

Just a hint: You REALLY think someone doing that for such a low return is absolutely likely to keep their meat in an expensive chest freezer at correct temperatures? Think about it.

I will the next time I eat a $3 reindeer hotdog in downtown anchorage...o wait those are WHITE folks, never mind.

Wild:barf:andnotoverthefoodeitherAlaska TM

PS

Meanwhile, my new NC driver's license has a hollowgram of the North American Union emblazoned on the back!

Small, consistent steps.

I hope the mods jump on this one soon.

Last edited:
I will the next time I eat a $3 reindeer hotdog in downtown anchorage...o wait those are WHITE folks, never mind.

RACE CARD PLAYED! :rolleyes:

Don't you get tired of continually using that, especially when it's been pointed out time and time again that being up in Alaska, YOU do not have to deal with the problems inherent in a population of desparate poverty leaking in from a third-world country?

Why don't you move to El Paso for a year or so, and see if the ivory-tower attitude still applies?

getapostinB4thisthreadislocked....

I've eaten local food in Iraq. I doubt anything you'll tell me about a taco stand in Phoenix will scare me.

+1 Rat-on-a-stick, taco stands, NYC hot dog carts: bring 'em on. Other than Hep C and HIV, I'm not scared of much.:D Sometimes, "intestinal fortitude" is not a metaphor....

Some random thoughts:

I will never support abdicating one iota of American sovereignty. I won't support any super-national organizations until and unless they guarantee the same or more freedoms than our Constitution. Germain to this forum: can anyone name a super-national governing body that supports the RKBA?:mad:

I don't blame the illegals for getting here: it's a tacit compliment that our nation and economic system are better than the ones they come from. They recognized an opportunity, and had the risk-taking spirit to act on it. The only dangerous attitude I see is the few extremists that feel "entitled" to American prosperity, because we "stole" all that good land in the desert Southwest that should belong to Mexico.

I don't support amnesty, though. Shame on us for letting the problem get so far out of hand in the first place, i.e. getting to the point where we couldn't deport them all even if we wanted to, without grave consequences. Bad on us for leading the body of illegals to think they could get away with staying here indefinitely, but our easy-going tolerance has to end. Unfortunately, people will suffer.

I don't support giving benefits (medical, schooling) to illegals. No, I don't want to see people living in our midst suffering without those things; those people just shouldn't be living in our midst.

I don't believe in maintaining slave class of illegals. Some say they fill jobs, such as harvesting fruit, that others won't take because of the low wage. I think the right answer is, maybe it will take $15 an hour to entice a native born American to work in the fields all day, and if that means we must pay six times as much for apples in the supermarket, we're morally obliged to suck it up rather than allow a slave class of illegal migrants to fill this economic need. IOW, the laws of supply and demand will apply and wages offered will adjust themselves to the available labor pool, a pool which currently includes desperate illegal immigrants, who wouldn't be excerting the downward wage pressure, should growers be forced to hire legal workers. (Or maybe, absent cheap illegals, a mechanized form of harvesting will become the cheaper alternative to human labor.)

I admire and enjoy aspects of Hispanic culture. I also support English First.

Political correctness must die, or our culture will. Acceptance of multiculturalism is a continuum. Western civilisation saw the horrors of one end of this continuum--Fascism leading to Holocaust and segregation/Aparteid--and recoiled from them (and rightly so). However, we've overshot the mark and are now seeing the problems at the other end of the continuum. We've denigrated nationalism and patriotism and preached acceptance of others at the expense of our own identity for so long that we're in danger of being destroyed by those with no doubts about their identity; Islamists and Mexican nationalists both come to mind....

Fence?!!

I say the following without hate, but with cold pragmatism:

A fence along the entire US Mexico border would be wasteful and ineffective. A fence, as part of a static high-security zone will be necessary in those places where there are cross-border towns. In some cases, the river would need to be diverted to do it right. But, for the vast expanses of desert, improved detection coupled with defense in depth and rapid reaction forces would be more effective and probably cheaper. Ground based and UAV/satellite based accoustic, optical, near IR, and thermal detection and enough computing power to maintain a track's history as our human teams move to intercept it would be more effective than a physical fence which would be tunneled under or broken through eventually no matter how many $$ go into the construction.

Was that politically incorrect? Try this: mine fields are cheaper than fences.

Still not blushing? Even less politically correct: all of the above methods would be more effective if we seized a 10 mile buffer zone inside Mexican territory. The Mexican towns that are less than 10 miles from the border? Drive out the people and then flatten the towns.

Those ruthless methods I mentioned above are unconscionable in today's political climate. However, back when the words of a national leader were more than trifling tv sound bytes, calling for the end of a nation's sovereignty would be tantamount to a declaration of war. In which case, the methods above would show great restraint rather than ruthlessness.

Back