Mauser 98 bolt lugs case hardened or through hardened

Hi, I went shooting again, this time with hotter loads but I can't see any change in headspace or the shape of bolt lugs or receiver recess,another 60 shots, so far so good!

I had removed the barrel/stock contact area and flyers were gone

new pics are attached.

God bless you all !

Attachments

• 2015-08-01-1146(0).jpg
    2015-08-01-1146(0).jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 2015-08-01-1150(0).jpg
    2015-08-01-1150(0).jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 25
another mystery.

After I firelapped the barrels, I still had barrel fouling but after shooting 50 to 70 shots, I could easily remove the copper fouling by amonia based copper removers, I could easily remove all copper traces by only one or two patches saturated with copper remover.

Yesterday I came home after shooting 60 shots, cleaned the barrel by my home brewed version of Ed's red carbon remover, I was tired so I postponed copper removing to tomorrow which is today.

Today I noticed that only the last 2/3 of the barrel length the patches came out with that blue tint which is an indication that copper fouling is present.

The first 1/3 of the barrel length including throat area, patches came out with no blue tint at all.

This was the 3rd shooting session after firelapping, after nearly 150 shots.

The cleaning rod was short so I first cleaned the last 2/3 of the barrel from the muzzle end and then the first 1/3 from the breach end.

Do you think the first one third of the barrel had been free from copper fauling. And what does it all mean to you.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help you can provide to to me understand this. Is it good news or else?

Again I appreciate all your helps.

God bless you all.

Dfariswheel
To learn the fine details of Mauser rifles, I recommend buying the Jerry Kuhnhausen Shop Manual.
These manuals were written as training aids for new gunsmiths, and get way down deep into the details you can't usually find elsewhere.

Kuhnhausen's manuals on double action Colt revolvers are so well written and have such good and complete content, that I think he must have been given the information by the Colt factory.

Kuhnhausen's manual on Mausers content and style is so bad I don't think he wrote that either. I think it was an incomplete and unedited set of lecture notes from teaching a class, poorly.

I think that R.A. Walsh's book, the only book by that retired chief engineer, was only written to right the wrong of the EXISTENCE of Kuhnhausen book on Mausers.

I bought the Kuhnhausen Mauser book 13 years ago, and the damage has not ended. Right now my brother is lapping the lugs on a military Mauser he is converting to 270.

At least he is not sending out out for heat treat.

Back