Mauser 30/06

I think there were a lot of those made and some were called Mauser supreme I think. My old Parker Hale had a Mauser Supreme action, at least that's what they called it. something you might find on that old of barrel is it may not have been stress relieved. As the barrel heats' up the shots walk all over the target. With mine I called it good with two shot group's. Could not believe how fast accuracy went south.

And for comparisons, a 1960 Sako 270 cleaned and with the right load shoots a hair under 1 MOA with 5 shots.

Not sure when that changed. I know of a Mauser 270 is about a 3 shot 1.25 MOA at best. Its a much more modern made gun (80s as I recall)

FN Mauser in an AA98 stock

Yeah, it looks identical to my FN Herstal Mauser in 30-06.
I don't know what you intend to do with yours but, I bought an Archangel AA98 stock and it fits like a glove. It did take a few strokes of a rubber mallet to get it in but there was no need to remove any material from the stock for a perfect fit.
The new stock improved my accuracy and I have been able to hit targets out to 300 yards with only the iron sights.
Today the gun goes to a local gunsmith for drilling and tapping to accommodate a new long distance scope. I'm hoping to be able to shoot out to about 800 meters at my home range, we'll see what the old beast can do. Also on order is a new Timney trigger which is a drop in with the new stock.
One of the bonuses of the AA98 stock is a 10 round magazine. I can't tell you what pleasure it is to be able to shoot the rifle without having to reload after every shot. I ordered an extra magazine so that I'll have 2 magazines ready to go when I take it out to shoot.
I hope you can have some fun with your rifle. I have to add this story. I have a steel plate to shoot at on my range at home, in addition to the many other targets. I have a Rock River Arms LAR-15 Elite Operator in my collection and have shot the steel plate with it many times, with no discernible affect to the target aside from some dents. However, 2 shots from the 30-06 and the steel plate fell to the ground. It seems as if the chain that I attached the steel plate to my frame broke under the impact of the 30-06 rounds. I never had that problem with any of my other rifles, but the 30-06 rounds took it down! WOW!
Safe shooting to you!

Attachments

• Mauser in new stock.jpg
    Mauser in new stock.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
As pointed out FN actions were used to build up rifles to be sold under brand names. Those actions were generally not marked with FN logo etc. The barreled action used to build my custom 257 Roberts did not have the FN logo. It did have the Belgian proofs. Making and hard and fast rules about these actions does not fly. Doesn't DeHass say the broken lugs were due to an overcharge. Was not the offender an action that had been opened to 375 H&H? My rifle was marked with the date on the left right side of the receiver. The barrelled action was made in 1955. For a time this marking was advertised. That rifle is long gone.

Last edited:
"(old) Super X 180 grain expanding bullet 3006 Springfield
(old) Remington Kleanbore 30-06 Springfield, 180 grain, Core Lokt, Pointed Soft Point, Hi-Speed
(old) Peters, 30-06 Springfield, High Velocity, 180 Fr. Inner-Belted, Soft Point"

That ammo is old enough to be collector stuff. Spend $20 and buy some fresh ammo.

Proof mark on the bolt handle

Proof mark on the bolt handle: There is a proof mark on the bolt handle at the root area. What does that mark look like? Also, FN's made up as complete rifles may have the serial number of the bottom of the bolt handle. Open the bolt and the number is plainly visible. The Parker-Hales we knew were made up on Spanish made actions-not FN's.

Back