Mauser 30/06

Or,maybe FN (or?) sold blank,unmarked barreled actions,

Frank DeHaas said FN actions were not numbered.
But it has proof marks and you can't very well proof test one without a barrel, in which case it would already be numbered.

Fair call,Jim.

That bolt face has not seen many rounds.I doubt the receiver as salvaged from a donor rifle. It looks new.
I bought a 1950's magnum bolt face FN receiver from a gunsmith estate sale.It was new.

As I said,a rifle built to be sold to the public would have the caliber stamped where it was readily visible.

I'm not sure about the mark on the barrel shank at 12 oclock. (JP) Could be a smith's "brand"

Gunsmith "Code of the west" is to mark caliber and gunsmith name,or initials or trademark on the barrel.

To me,that suggests Dad installed or had an aftermarket barrel installed.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of fails on the Gunsmith Code of the West. I have been scolded for saying that a restoration should be discreetly marked to keep it from being presented as original.

I think Hibc may have hit in the answer with his idea of barreled actions being sold to multiple wholesalers.

If I were a betting man, I'd say FN made these things by the car load, unmarked, so they could be roll stamped with whomsoever wanted their name on it, be that Sears/Ted Williams, Western Field, or Pierre's Sporting Goods in Timbuktu. This would allow caliber markings on the barrel in English or metric units as required.

Whether that roll stamp was to be applied at the factory or by the importer is anybodies guess, though I suspect it was a factory offered service to the various wholesalers.

ST, I bet your dad managed to snag one that slipped through the cracks and avoided a barrel roll stamp.

BTW, highly unlikely you hurt anything with dissasembly, these guns were built like tanks and in all likelihood, your grandkids will be fitting over it when we're all long gone.

WOW! Fantastic information from all. THANKS.
I just kick myself from not writing the information he told me just in passing about this rifle. All the other guns are self explaining. And the only thing I did was take it apart to try and figure the history and the manufacture of the barrel. No cleaning, just wipe all the parts with rem oil.
HiBC, Thanks for the information that those are Buehler scope mounts. I never thought about the mounts.
Maybe to explain a little further, this gun has never been touch or modified since my dad built it. And never out or seen since the 70s
I'll send more photos. Thanks again.
This if fun trying to figure out the history of the rifle and the parts that are on it. :):)

41765969250_fd65102248_b.jpg

42856400464_df5e95dbd9_b.jpg

29703498768_59056c3406_b.jpg

ST if you ever take them scope rings off that scope watch that you don't lose the shims that are between the halves. Does your stock have a recoil pad?

sako2, Thanks for the heads up about taking the scope rings off that scope watch that you don't lose the shims that are between the halves. Probably never happen? But you never know, and thanks again, very helpful to me.
Now that you mentioned it, who makes those rings.
And YES there is a recoil pad on the rifle. I'm very surprised it's not flat, by sitting on it for 43 years.
I will include photos.

29792384478_5f73f864ed_b.jpg

41854171870_3138819ca3_b.jpg

Just curious, if I decide to take this rifle out to the range and play, or maybe go deer hunting? Is all the 30-06 ammo (old and new) safe to shoot thru this rife? Below is what I have now.
(old) Super X 180 grain expanding bullet 3006 Springfield
(old) Remington Kleanbore 30-06 Springfield, 180 grain, Core Lokt, Pointed Soft Point, Hi-Speed
(old) Peters, 30-06 Springfield, High Velocity, 180 Fr. Inner-Belted, Soft Point
(newer) Winchester 30-06 Springfield, 150 gr. Power-Point (S.P.)

Yes. with some cautions.

Standards for 06 have been set for some time.

We had a member who posted a picture of a rifle with a broken lug. So you always want to look and check the gun for any indications of something untoward. While I think you gun is fine I am not there in person to see all the details not what might catch my eye.

You have seen the responses by the ones that know that end of these.

One way to assess the quality of work is a head space gauge (or the no go, go set) - from what you have stated, your dad assembled this.

If it chambers a 30-06 shell and fires it, then head space is not overly long.

Knowing how tight it is gives you an idea of the caliber of work. But that is the technician talking here not what is a need, more if you work with this stuff you tend to want to satisfy the curiosity.

He would have to have had the reamers for doing the work as well. Chamber might be partially reamed (I am not any type of expert on those) but then you still have to finish ream.

You want to take a close look at each round fired and stop if its messed up. Does not automatically mean bad, you can leave a bit of a ridge easily and its not fatal. Deep dent and or cut would be reason not to shoot.

Last edited:
I can't tell you for sure that ammo that has been sitting for at least 43 years is OK.

I can give you a "Probably".Ammo keeps pretty well. Sometimes powder deteriorates,clumps up,turns brown.Then it may attack the brass.If the brass is stained,discolored, I'd be cautious.
A box of "Peters" is pretty old. Some folks collect that stuff.Go easy on the boxes,at least.

So, I guess it's safe to say the (newer) Winchester 30-06 Springfield, 150 gr. Power-Point (S.P.) would be safe to use to sight in and play at the range? Would that round be good for California deer hunting?
It sounds like I should keep the old ammo & boxes and not shoot them.
Sako2, thanks for the update on the scope rings.
I think Wednesday I'll take this rifle to the range and see what it will do. I mostly shoot shotgun and not at all an experience rifle shooter. Although I did pickup a Winchester 69a the other day, I put a really nice scope on it then with no experience shooting that gun, I took it out to shoot for the very first time and at 50 yards, it shot groups I could cover with a dime. Good enough for me.

"Would that round be good for California deer hunting?"
Maybe yes and maybe no. Isn't it the first of next year California goes non-lead bullets for the entire state?

On ID'ing the rifle, If it is an FN, all the ones I've seen have had FAB. NAT.D'ARMES DE GURRE HERSTAL BELGIQUE or the FN logo, an egg shaped circle with a stylized FN inside and the word action--MADE IN BELGIUM. This would be on the left side receiver rail. You rifle does not have either stamp. It is not unconceivable that someone might have carefully filed the stamping and polished and reblued the gun.

The first marking is from an FN commercial rifle by FN.

The second marking is from an FN action that was used to make a rifle for Sears & Roebuck. J.C. Higgins M50.

I have three rifles that are commercial FN's and four J.C. Higgins using the FN action and that's how the actions are marked. Sorry I don't have any of the Montgomery Wards, Western Auto, H&R or Colt rifles that used FN actions to see how they were marked. My guess is that they would be similar to what is on the J.C. Higgins guns.
Paul B.

sako2, Thanks for the URL.
The receiver is a little like that photo, but no marking on the side of the receiver like the photos in Gun Broker, and all the barrel marks are way different then mine. I just have the (JP) or whatever that is on the top of the barrel near the receiver. And in the same area but on the reverse side of the barrel there is the (cal. 30-06). That’s it, no barrel s/n, no front sights and the bolt and safety is really different. And no where does it state where it was manufacture on my rifle, not like the one in the Gun Broker photos. Actually, the only marking on my rifle and the Gun Broker photo is where the receiver S/N is. I wonder if that receiver S/N would kind of tell me about what year it is?

ST there's no doubt that's a mauser 98 receiver. The stock looks exactly like my commercial 270,30-06 and 300 mag stocks. I'm trying to post picture of mine. Not to good with that kind of stuff. Those receivers where used buy a lot of gun manufactures. I tried tracking down the years of mine but no luck. Take it and shoot it. I bet it shoots good.

ST, The scope that is on your rifle is the same exact scope I had on my 1963 Sako Finnbear I have. The # on mine is:145838. These were pretty good 4x scopes for the day. My scope now sits on my Marlin 25N .22 rifle. It's a dandy. Sure enjoy following the history of your rifle.

JC Higgins

My Sears JC Higgins .270 is clearly marked FN made in Belgium on the receiver.

All that I have seen are so marked. Mine was built around 1952 and is the finest rifle I own. Not bad for a department store mutt.

I think what is missing is context.

Its easy enough for forget that we are talking post WWII Europe. A lot of it was simply shattered (less France than the rest but France was not an arms mfg center which is relevant to us (for the most part - PK/PPK aside)

All sorts of efforts made to jump start the economy off what they had and knew and the cost was cheap as Japan.

One of those rare cases where you got a high quality product for low bucks as a buck in Europe went a long ways in those days.

My dad bought my Mom a 270 Sako for sheep hunting (we were stationed very close to one of the premier Sheep hunting areas then) about 1960. He died pretty young so never got the story. To put it in context

We didn't have a lot of money. We never had a new car. Not dirt poor but they lived pay check to pay check. For him to get a new gun for mom it had to be a heck of a deal. That gun shoots a bit under 1 MOA. That is with a hunting scope and its not a target trigger (I have no desire to mess with its trigger- I have a vengeful brother who uses it most of the time!)

Back