Match Champion vs 627

I hear what your saying about them discounting things. I would love to have a 627 hunter but you can't really find them anymore.

Well I had sold myself on a V-comp (close as I could get to the hunter) but after playing with one today I'm not so sure. While it was a big revo I will say it was not quite as big as I thought it was going to be and I could live with it but I am really not sure I felt the Smith "serperior" quality that I always hear about and I really am not sure it's worth twice the price of the Ruger. I mean even with what is one of their top level revo's I can't say it felt like twice the gun and I am not sure it felt all that much better really. Don't get me wrong it is a nice piece and all but for instance the trigger pull in SA action was pretty good (as it is with pretty well all revolvers) but the DA was nothing special at all.

Then I think about how much better I could make the Ruger with all the extra cash but no matter what I can't make it an 8 shot and I really like the idea of an 8 shot revolver.

Last edited:
Could someone measure the top of the frame on their GP for me please? Without the sight or barrel included . I just need the top of the frame itself.

They do make a picatinny rail for the top of the rugers that slides into the slot of the adjustable sights. No drilling or tapping needed. Some are full length too.

I know but I'm probably just going to go ahead and get one custom made the way I want it anyway.

Last edited:
Got the MC. Is this gap normal though?

Attachments

• 2015-06-23_00.51.12.jpg
    2015-06-23_00.51.12.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 71
  • 2015-06-23_00.06.11.jpg
    2015-06-23_00.06.11.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 61
I've always liked S&W N Frames, I once had a 27-2, I have a 627 now, I like the way these bigger framed guns handle & shoot.

But the Ruger GP-100 is a nice 6" gun, but I'd probably stick with what I know & have more firsthand experience with.

So I went ahead and had a rail custom made (Might have been a mistake) but the gunsmith did not really listen to what I wanted and went ahead and tapped two holes in the top of my barrel instead of making the rial not extend out onto the barrel like I had wanted. :eek: So he says he can shorten the rail and fix it so it looks like it was before the holes with the little ridges on top of the barrel and all but I have to admit I am pretty worried that I am not going to be happy with my revo when he is done. This is why I normally don't let others work on my guns and hate the fact that I can't do everything myself. :confused: :mad: :(

Last edited:
Yeah... Especially because I really like this pistole a lot and it is not only my first ever revolver but is pretty much responsible for turning me into somewhat of a revo lover.

I am not really sure you can just fix stainless to looks like nothing ever happened with the little ridges and all especially without heating it up and risking messing with the barrel temper.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned one very clear benefit of the Ruger. That is, nobody drilled an ugly lock hole in the side of your gun for "safety". Sadly, it sounds like the gunsmith you hired drilled some holes where you didn't want them. So long as I had given clear instructions to that gunsmith, I'd be furious.

Oh I am not exactly happy. I gave him clear instruction but I could kind of tell he had his own wheels turning on how to get it done as he nodded his head and uh-huhed and wasn't really listening to me per say. Anyway he is a good gun smith and is making it right although he has probably had my pistol longer then I have at this point he sent the barrel back to ruger and it should be on it's way back now. The only thing I have to hope now is that he doesn't try to hit me with some crazy bill and try and make me pay for his mistake.

Since it is your first revolver, you haven't yet gotten that scope business out of your head and off your guns. I have one scoped revolver and it is an 8 3/8" barrel 41 Magnum Smith 657 (N-frame). My Match Champion is a much smaller gun and is not too big to carry concealed in its simplest form. My Smith 657 4" is more comparable, but as an N-frame is substantially more bulky, heavy, and hard to conceal than the Match Champion sized only for 357 Magnum.

The Smith may not have a great double action from the factory but Ruger cannot compare.

I've gotten my trigger down to 5 - 6 lbs with 100 per cent reliability. You just can't do this with a Ruger.

Put a Red Dot on the Smith and don't look back.

For competition shooting, you don't even see Rugers in USPSA or ICORE or Steel Challenge matches.

A friend of mine has a Ruger. It does shoot nice but it can't compare to my 627 or my 929. He even admits that.:D

AzShooter I got the pull on the match champ I bought down to around 6 with just a simple Wilson Combat spring swap so it is very possible.

I did get a chance to test the trigger pull on the 627 V-Comp I was looking at and just didn't feel the extra cost was worth it although one might still be in my future at some point just because it is a cool piece.

Last edited:
Real gun I am not looking to scope it at this time (maybe in the future) what it will have when it's finally done is a micro red dot with a quick detach mount that sits on top of a small rial that also functions as a rear sight.

I shoot my pistols at all ranges so I feel a red dot offers me the most versatility at this point. Also after owning and shooting this revo for a while now I would have to say that even though I LOVE shooting it I would more than likely hardly if ever carry it.

Glad you were able to get that trigger pull down. Rugers are fine guns and will last a life time.

Sorry to hear about your gunsmith woes. Many gunsmiths I've visited have the own agenda and don't listen to the customer. There are so many others that will do what you want... Next time I'd take it to someone else.

Good luck and good shooting.;)

Just picked this 627 up yesterday.

a00bf704-9542-4113-8649-fb5cdf2b4d44_zpscoc7ln76.jpg

Back