Match Champion vs 627

Surp

I am looking to buy my first revolver and these are two that have stuck out to me.

I like the GP because.
It's lighter
It's smaller
It's cheaper
It looks better
I'm kind of a fan of Rugers
http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/models.html

I like the Smith because.
It holds 8 rounds
It's probably more refined
A little more prestigious
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57775_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

But really at the end of the day I know basically nothing about either of these firearms seeing as I have no hands on experience with them and since I can't find either to get some first hand experience I come to you to ask opinions.

I have also looked at the 686 SSR which puts Smith on the same playing filed as the Ruger as far as size and weight but also consequently takes what I see as one of the biggest advantages of the 627 in the 2 extra rounds. Not to mention it still has that slightly fugly look.

My use for this is going to be slapping an optic on it and shooting anywhere from 10 to 100 yards (maybe farther if I'm really feeling crazy) but even though right now longer range stuff is the motivation who knows what the future will hold so versatility is also important.

Last edited:
Hmm, for optics and versatility you might want to consider a regular GP - 4, 5, or 6" barrel as it suits your fancy

I did consider just buying a GP and doing what I want to it myself but decided against that because the Match champ is already a big step in the direction I would be heading with a standard GP anyway.

What would make you say a standard GP is more versatile or better suited for optics?

Get a standard GP100 if you're going to scope it.

The Match Champ is not worth the premium for what you want to do with it, methinks.

Not much of a premium really at around 100 bucks.

Maybe I should have clarified better when I said some longer range stuff. I am not looking to shoot super crazy long range groups and not be able to shoot the pistol at close range more just hit steel consistently wherever I choose to setup. That's why I said 10 to 100.

I will more than likely try a scope on it at some point and try some grouping but a red dot will be my starting point because like I said some longer range stuff may have been my motivation but it's not my only goal. This will probably be my only revolver so I want it to be a nice one with some flexibility and even though I know by not putting together a one trick poney I won't have a gun that's necessarily the best for any one thing I'm hoping it will be somewhat versatile.

Last edited:
Well I'm not going to lie I did kind of fall in love with the Wiley clapp GP back when it had came out and when Ruger dropped the MC it was more inline with what I was looking for so I was originally sold on it but after looking at Smiths stuff I started to second guess. Like I said I have no hands on time with any of these and can't find them anywhere around here to look at them before buying so I am just looking to hear opinions especially from people who do have some time with these firearms.

I also have done some looking at the TRR8/M&P R8 and even though they might just be capable of coming runner up to the Chiappa Rhino in a ugly modern revolver competition they are on the lighter side while still holding 8 rounds plus they come ready to go with a rail but they are obviously still bigger as with any 8 shot and they cost a little more then I would really want to be tossing out for this particular little project.

Last edited:
For shooting I've always preferred S&W over Colt or Ruger. I shoot double action and the S&W just beats the others, for me anyway. The 586/686 guns are really hard to beat.

In all honesty, run-of-the-mill 686 or 686 Plus compares very favorably with the GP-100 match and the Plus holds a 7th round. The Match Champion has a fixed rear sight, which is deal killer for me...I want adjustable sights.

The 686 SSR has a few custom touches, but it's only a tweaked factory model. Like the Match Champion, it allows those that compete in revolver games that limit capacity to 6 rounds to have a semi-custom model from the factory.

Truth is, the upgrades are nothing you can't have done or easily do yourself. That's coming from someone with a 686 Plus and a 627 Pro Series.

Let's take a look, though, here are the only advantages of the 686 SSR over a 686...

• Chamfered Charge Holes
• Custom Barrel with Recessed Precision Crown
• Bossed Mainspring
• Ergonomic Grip to Force High-Hand Hold

- Chamfered charge holes. You can get any of the gun smiths to do this one. I just sent a S&W cylinder to TK customs for a moonclip cut and chamfer...$150. Just chamfering the charge holes would be cheaper, but moonclips are great in a revolver. Point is, it's an easy touch to have done, just mail in the cylinder, you don't even need to ship the revolver. GP-100 Match Champion DOESN'T have chamfered charge holes.

- "Custom Barrel with Recessed Precision Crown". I have a 627 Pro Series with this type a barrel, it's super accurate. Then again, all of my S&W revolvers are very accurate. I can't tell much difference. The recessed crown will be protected from damage, but I've never had this problem.

- The bossed mainspring is just a Wolff spring, I love them, and you could easily install one on 686 Plus. I have them on all of my Smiths, very affordable and works great..

- Some special grip. Who cares? The 686 Plus grip is excellent from the factory! Why pay extra up front? You'll probably go through several grips anyway until you find one that fits. That's no problem, though, there are many, many aftermarket S&W grips available, more than the GP-100, so no problem finding something that fits.

Last edited:
testuser79 Ruger listened and the match champ does come with adjustable sights but that doesn't matter to me because as I said I will be using an optic.

As far as specialty models go I absolutely know they are not necessary but like I said this is probably going to be my only revolver (at least for a long while) so I want it to be a nice one. I have built many types of firearms and absolutely love doing it but the type of machine work done to these revolvers I can not do myself unfortunately. I understand I could have all the stuff done but with time and money spent plus the fact if the firearm ever breaks I have to fix it or it gets replaced by a stock model from Smith at best. Not that I'm really too worried about something catastrophic happening but it's still something to think about as I plan on having this for life.

Last edited:
I can't attest to the Ruger but love my 627. I shoot mine as good as if not better than any handgun I own. I did lighten both double and single action trigger pull with Wolf springs and it's just a joy to shoot. If I could pick just one of my handguns to keep it would be a no brainier, the 627. When I purchased it I chose between a Ruger Wiley Clapp and the 627, I couldn't decide and when I went back to the Gun Shop the Wiley Clapp was gone and I don't regret getting the 627 one bit. You wouldn't think an extra 2 rounds would be a big deal, but when I shoot my normal 6 shooters it just seems weird now. Although I would still like to get a Wiley Clapp, seems like a sweet gun.

I agree but on the other side the coast of thoses two rounds is also a pretty big deal between size and weight.

I drove all the way out to Cabela's today because they told me they had a bunch of the MC Rugers but they end up having none and only one or two GP's for me to play with at all. They also didn't have any N frames for me to compare it to but I will say the trigger pull didn't seem bad at all on the old GP.

It's killing me that I can't get any hands on time with either of these firearms....:mad:

Last edited:
I drove all the way out to Cabela's today because they told me they had a bunch of the MC Rugers but they end up having none

Grrrrrrr.

Now I pretty much like Cabela's but this was nasty.

Where abouts do you live Surp?

I'm in the Twin Cities in MN and took a drive after Christmas to a Cabela's for a Remington 597 'yellow' target model they had advertised for $300. (Actually $299 but I'm rounding).

I didn't call ahead (or I'd really be angry) and I wanted to look at some other stuff too so the trip was by no means a waste but I was disappointed they didn't have the rifle I wanted.

Strangely they had a used Remington 597 'yellow' target model but the used one was $400. :confused:

Good luck, Ruger or S&W I don't think you'll be disappointed with either choice.

Is this primarily going to be a range toy?
If so, capacity does not make any difference.

Your concerns with size, weight and capacity point to carry or SD use?
So will you be shooting this mostly double action or single action?

What kind of optics where you planning on?
Scope, dot sight or open dot like a C-more mounted?

What kind of groups at distance are you trying to achieve?
Hitting a metal gong at 100 yards, or something way smaller?

You stated that you've built firearms. In that case, working on the GP's trigger should not be too hard. Rugers are easier to take apart for the home smith.

Long time ago, when I was very involved in Bullseye shooting, one of my centerfire guns was a Smith 586, four inch.
I shot one of my best long line slow fire scores with that revolver, a 97.
That's about a 3 inch group at 50 yards one handed, with stock open iron sights. So any of these are capable of the accuracy you desire, it's more up to the shooter.

If this is going to be your first and only revolver for a while, and your hopes are more in line with SD uses, then even a used revolver might be more appropriate as you will want to do many drills with the gun and not worry about scratching it while you become more accomplished.

I am in MO.

I didn't really plan on buying one from them as the price quoted to me over the phone was at least $100 high and I doubt they would have worked with me much but I did REALLY want to get my hands on one and hopefully compare with an N frame so yeah considering that was the only reason for the trip I was a little upset.

HighValleyRanch
I am more looking for a range toy so mostly single action but I might carry it at times during the winter months and it will definitely see some double action use.

The optic I have is a Fastfire III.

Like I said right now I'm just looking to be able to get pretty consistent hits on steel at 100 like I do with my open sight ruger standard or a few of my other pistols. The target will be a 2/3 IDPA silhouettes (1/2" X 12" X 20").

The fact that the trigger drops out so you can work on it is something I have also taken into account.

I like both guns and it really comes down to a personal choice. If you like revolvers, you will eventually own Rugers and Smiths. Each caters to a particular need/feel/niche.

Ruger offers the Match Champion in both adjustable and fixed sight versions, so you have your choice that way.

The S&W SSR is a nice, handy weapon but it looks less beautiful than the other L frames. The sharp angle on the ejector shroud below the barrel throws me off.

Both of these are working guns and you're probably going to be satisfied either way. If I were shooting silhouettes at 100 yards, I would buy the 6" GP-100 Standard and shoot it without optics.

The S&W 627 is a truly unique revolver and if you don't mind the added cylinder girth and weight, it would make a great range and home defense gun.

Thinking about it more, that's the one I would buy. S&W might discontinue the 8 round 627. You might as well buy one while you can. You will be able to buy a GP100 any time.

Speaking from personal experience, I wanted a S&W 327 Night Guard a few years ago and I procrastinated until the gun was discontinued. Now I might buy a 627 or pay a stiff premium on a 327.

Back