Marshall-Sanow OSS Data: Undeniable Evidence of Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I read the article and its based on the supposition that Marshall is pushing his data base as a statistical predictor - a claim he has never made.
Each time new data is released, there are deletions (and additions one supposes) to old data. Maybe a shooting credited in 91 is found to not fit the criteria - the dude was shot already by another cop, etc.

The following is from Dale Towerts "Stopping Power Page":

Misconceptions and Limitations
by Kyrie Ellis 4 May 1996

There has always been much debate, frequently acrimonious, concerning the ability of any specific pistol cartridge to "stop" an attacker. People have tended to develop a fondness for a particular cartridge, and denigrate all others as being inferior in terms of "stopping power".

At times this debate has almost assumed the character of a religious war, complete with slogans ("They all fall to ball!").

Which is why I like Marshall's information.

For the first time we have information about how pistol cartridges actually work in real life. No "simulated tissue", human cadavers, animals, or war stories. Just information about what has actually happened when people were forced to shoot other people.

Which has left us with another, different, set of problems. How can we use Marshall's information? How do we avoid misusing his information? Which is why I've written this up, and submitted it to the "Stopping Power" page. My intent is to identify the misconceptions people (mostly gun magazine authors) seem to have formed about Marshall's information, and the limitations on the usefulness of that information. The format I've chosen (mostly because I couldn't think of a better one) is a statement commonly made about Marshall's information which is either mistaken or misleading, followed by an explanation of why that statement is mistaken or misleading.

"Marshall's study is scientific."
This statement is mistaken. In order for a study to be scientific, it must follow the scientific method. Which means formally stating a hypothesis, constructing an experiment to disprove that hypothesis, conducting that experiment, and presenting the results for review and replication by other researchers. Marshall did none of these things. He just collected information and published it. In the strict sense of the word, there is nothing "scientific" about Marshall's work. Nor could there be. Conducting an experiment where human test subjects are shot (frequently to death) is not something which can (or should!) be done. Nor would such an experiment have any real world value. Conditions in a laboratory can never duplicate conditions in the field.

"Marshall's study is not scientific."
This statement, while true, is misleading. The problem is that it assumes information must be obtained via experiment to be valid or useful. We don't need to conduct an experiment to determine that fire is hot, or that being shot is bad for our health. Nor is information gained from a scientific experiment necessarily valid or useful. Consider that scientific research once was used to prove that ionising radiation was beneficial to our health and well being...

"Marshall's statistics..."
Any statement which refers to Marshall's information as "statistics" or "statistical" is mistaken. [Er, I must confess to occasionally being guilty here. - Dale] What people refer to as Marshall's "statistics" is really the proportion of people who stopped being aggressive after being shot once in the torso, expressed as a percentage. Unlike ball scores and batting averages, each case in Marshall's study had only two outcomes - a "stopped" or a "not stopped". Events which have only two outcomes are not suitable subjects for statistical study, since they cannot have any of the customary statistical measurements of central tendency (such as mean, median, or mode), or of variation (such as variance or standard deviation). The problem here is that we are so accustomed to seeing statistical data presented as percentages that we automatically assume all percentages are statistical.

"Marshall's sample..."
Any statement which refers to the shootings in Marshall's data base as a "sample" is misleading at best, and mistaken at worst. The word "sample" is generally used to describe a subset of events, taken from a larger set of events, because the whole set of events is too large to be manageable. Samples intentionally exclude qualifying events. Marshall pursued all of the shootings he could. He did not pick and choose from qualifying shootings. His data contains all of the events which met the criteria of one shot to the torso, and to which he had access. The reason that this is an important distinction is that the inclusion of all available information removes any objections to Marshall's information based on claims of "sampling error" - there is no sample. Which is not to say that Marshall's information truly represents the effectiveness of all cartridges. The subset of information available to Marshall may, or may not, be representative of all shootings.

"Marshall's data indicates that the .357 Magnum (or whatever cartridge) will be a 90% (or whatever percentage) stopper."

This statement is very much mistaken. Marshall's information is historical, not predictive. It indicates what has happened rather than what will happen. Which brings us to the what I believe is the single largest misconception.

Are you one of the people who have used Marshall's data as a guide when shopping for a defensive pistol and/or ammunition?

I am.

And I've been wrong.

Here is the problem - neither Marshall's data nor anyone else's can be used to predict a single future outcome. Even if we assume that Marshall's data has predictive value (a risky assumption since his information is descriptive in nature rather than predictive), it cannot predict individual outcomes. That's the nature of the world in which we live. Even if we know that a flipped coin will be "heads" 50% of the time, we can't know before hand if the *next* flip of the coin will result in a heads.

[Here I have to disagree. Comparing the potential outcome of a shooting to the potential outcome of a coin flip is not realistic, as there is an exactly 50-50 chance that the coin will land on one of its two sides. However, knowing that the human body reacts badly to being shot (especially in the case of torso shots) it would not be fair to assume that the person has a 50-50 chance of being stopped instantly. Data, especially when it consists of single events with almost always identical outcomes leads us to make the quite reasonable assumption that another single event of the same type is at least, very likely, to have an outcome similar to those of previous similar events. Thus, I think it is not entirely wrong to use the data in a predictive manner - Dale]

And individual outcomes are what most of us are interested in. We may, if we are very unlucky, have to shoot someone in defence of our lives. It's very unlikely that we will ever find ourselves in this circumstance. [Well, that all depends on where you live! In South Africa, with crime, especially violent life-threatening crime, totally out of control, the likelihood of landing up in a situation where you are called upon to protect your life or property is actually very high. - Dale] It's even more unlikely that we will find ourselves in this circumstance more than once.

So what we are preparing for is the once-in-a-lifetime situation where we must shoot to survive. And that is an individual outcome. Which cannot be predicted before it happens.

Knowing this, do I still use Marshall's information when I buy ammunition for defensive use? Yes, I do. Even though I know it's silly. Why? Because I'm human, and completely capable of ignoring unpleasant facts...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Return to the Main Page

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Hey everyone. Lighten up! Over the years we've seen Hatcher's Formula, reletive Incapacitation Index etc.etc. All of them were just guesses based on someone's experience. The problem is a bullet can do many different things. When someone gets shot he is not a uniform block of ballistic gelatin. The FIrearms Tactical site has great info on scientific method but doesn't mean a thing when applied to the real world. Sanow's "unscientific" approach is just another educated guess. Personally as a cop I try all my defensive rounds out on deer that have broken legs etc. that I have to dispose of along the road. Not very scientific but I gives me some idea of what it might do to a living breathing mammal. It's just a guess but it's the best I have available. To Mr. Firearms tactical: Don't build your site by attacking other more famous data. If yours is good it will prosper on its own merits. I don't think Sanow tried to get rich off this data he was just trying to help cops the best way he can.

I'm not a devotee of either faction. To me, both sides have their points, and I choose my ammo using info from many different sources.
I have visited the Firearms Tactical site, and Shawn Dodson's posts here and over on GlockTalk has turned me off to his material even more. I agree that his intonation is rude and unprofessional.

Keith and Protoolman,

I am not a statistician, but I have conducted experiments and used the scientific method. Not balistics though. You make some very valid points IMHO. If the data Marshal, Sanow, or whoever presents information which gives me a better understanding of ballistics in regard to defensive street shootings, I am very grateful. Until some true scientists take the time and effort to carry out studies that can better what has already been gathered by the men mentioned, I will use their information with a grain or two of salt and come to my own conclusions. I appreciate the efforts of those who have added to our base of knowledge.
The Firearmstacticle.com seems to have a bias toward the higher the penetration/exit, the better camp. They presented their article along with Dr. Facklers study. Without doing more than a cursery reading of this article, I can't honestly determine if it is any more valid and reliable than the study in which it attacks. Knowing that M & S study has been drug through the mud by a number of people, I'd like to hear a response by M&S concerning this article before comming to any conclusions.

If I had an email address of M&S, I'd invite them to answer for these accusations at this site. I want to hear both sides before taking up arms. Anyone who has thier email is invited to pass it on to me or contact them yourself. It will be appreciated.
Robert EQUALIZERplus@netscape.net
------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited November 03, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited November 03, 1999).]

To state that M&S do not promote their data as "scientific", that they do not promote specific ammo based on the data, that they do not suggest their info to be "predictive" is to deny Ed Sanow's many articles on the subject.

OTOH, neither Shawn, Fackler or Firearms Tactical promotes a "predictive" theory. They promote individual research, contemplation and study. This is as it should be.

However, we now have a case where the basic arithmetic in the M&S tome has been demonstrated to result in a glaring incongruity. To whit: we find more perps downed than shots fired, in some cases. How can this possibly be excused as due to older cases being dropped and new ones added? The arithmetic still proves the falsehood.

Arguing that unreferenced drops of data that were formerly "scrutinized from actual police reports" might make sense. But not when the arithmetic result ends with 8 immediate stops from 6 bullets!

C'mon guys! :)
Rich

Years ago Guns and Ammo printed a chart in one of their annuals of the M&S 's best loads for all popular pistol/revolver rounds. In all cases, the higher the vel. of each individal round, the higher it placed on the chart. At that point I realized M&S were just using a formula.

Use what you have confidence in. I use the 40 cal Hydro shok (the so-called FBI load) It will do the job. So will many others.

Leave the star gazing to NASA.

Coming up with a "formula" for the perfect ammo "one-shot" stoppers is impossible, because there are too may variables involved in real-life situations. Shot placement, attacker size, attacker strength, attacker will-power, suseptibility of the attacker to emotional shock are all factors in the debate.

A 22-long placed to the head will stop most people.

A 45 placed to the arm will stop few people.

I think the subject of ammo stopping power is overhyped, although I would like to have a 400 corbon pistol. LOL

Thanks for the valuable info, Mr Dodson. I appreciate integity in what I'm reading. As you have read, some folks are having to deal with a blow to what they put their security. Most of us don't react well to that. Many times, truth is tough.

Now that some of the smoke has cleared, lets ask a few simple questions.

1)Many PD's started off their auto usage loading a 9mm 115gr. JHP. They then switched to a 147gr. JHP. Many PD's switched back to the 115 jhp because the 147 just wasen't doing the job. What does that tell us?

----The 147gr. is probably not the most efective 9mm round to load.

How did we arrive at that answer? Actual Perfomance!!!

The FBI loaded the 158gr LSWHP for years. Why did they stick to a round that seems to be from an era of stone knives and bearskins? Because the thing worked.

No one in their right mind will say penetration is unimportant. Just the same, velocity and expansion are critical as well.

My sig is still loaded with Federal 9BP 115gr. JHPs. Why? Proven track record. simple.

My Ruger GP100 is still loaded with 110gr. Magnums. Why? Proven track record.

My .380 is still loaded with Federal 90gr. hydro-shok. Why? Proven track record.

My advice to all the guys caught up in this he said, he said, Get the data yourselves. Skip the fancy formulas and gobbley-gook. Examine all of the data and make a righteous decision.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

Thanks for the info Shawn, though I had to read it twice!

John L., were you referring to my post and trial? I can only guess that you were since I am the only one that mentioned Kokalis? What exactly are you talking about?

Chuck

I am a professional statistician, but pretty new to guns (not counting Marine bootcamp and IRT 30 years ago, where privates didn't dare call them "guns").

I've decided to spend $10 dollars and get the International Wound Ballistics Journal issue (Fall 99) with the original articles. According to the TFI site, the articles contain enough data to do an independent analysis. It will probably take a month to get the journal issue, and some time for an analysis (if it is indeed possible). I'll be happy to share my results here if anyone is interested. (Besides my statistical work, I've been a journal "referee" and associate editor for an applied statistics journal.)

As others have observed, the M&S data and analyses are what are called "observational studies" while the TFI/IWBA data are experimental. In principle, both can be useful, but well designed experiments using MEANINGFUL measurements give more reliable comparisons. Observational studies have problems but can be helpful in formulating hypotheses, PROVIDED THE DATA UPON WHICH THEY ARE BASED HAS INTEGRITY.

For the time being, I'll stick to 124 gr. HS or Golden Sabres in 9mm and 90 gr. HS in .380, just because these choices seem sensible. Since I recently got the .380 Sig P230 I'm very interested in the ballistics results for this caliber. This caliber seems to be in limbo between the small calibers (.32 and below) where a convincing case can be made for ball in order to get adequate penetration, and the larger loads (Luger and up) where definately hollowpoints rule.

Good shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back