Marlin Model 60

Just had my Marlin out to the range today. Fired maybe 150 rounds of cci standard vel. through it. had 1 failure to extract. Probably time to break it down for a cleaning.

Mine got really dirty after 200 rounds. I did take apart and clean again. Reluctant to since new springs aren’t here yet but all went well. The get dirty quick.

Mine got really dirty after 200 rounds. I did take apart and clean again. Reluctant to since new springs aren’t here yet but all went well. The get dirty quick.
You should try another brand of ammo. For instance, Tula and Wolff 5.56 ammo is really dirty compared to LC.

I think most of the crud was from it being new and full of lube from the factory. Cleaned it real good and looking for next trip out. Went Saturday and picked up a Synthetic stainless 10-22. Trigger pull is worse on the Ruger but a $60 Ruger trigger can take that to 2 lbs. accuracy between the 2 so far the Marlin has it better. I did put a Sig Whiskey 3x9x 40 on the 10-22. Budget scope around $129. Not a good scope at all. Parralex really bad. Can’t see as good as the cheap Vortex 2x7 by a long shot. I know sig makes some good scopes but this isn’t one of them. Wish I had ordered from Amazon so I could return it. Ok at 25 yards. Hard to even see the 3 inch shoot and sees at 50. Every power range you move ocular eyepiece has to be adjusted. Duplex reticle a little too thick. Could still keep cci around 1 inch at 50 and for fairness will have to change trigger and scope on the Ruger for a good comparison.

I bought a used Marlin 981T from a co-worker last year. The 981T is the tube fed bolt action version. I added an El-Cheapo $25 scope and, no joke, it shoots 1 MOA with bulk Blazer at 100 yards. I paid $100 for the rifle.

If you just want a good shooting rifle, Marlin is the way to go. If you're looking to customize or accurize, the 10/22 would be the better choice.

I have a 1973 Glenfield Model 60. I find that it will go 350 - 400 rounds with no malfunctions. A quick cleaning and GTG for another set of rounds. It also likes minimal lubrication. I use CCI Mini Mags in it.

I have to agree with the malfunctions if not clean comments. I don't have the semiauto model 60, but my bolt action Marlin 981t gets finicky when it's not perfectly clean.

I did put a Sig Whiskey 3x9x 40 on the 10-22. Budget scope around $129. Not a good scope at all. Parralex really bad. Can’t see as good as the cheap Vortex 2x7 by a long shot. I know sig makes some good scopes but this isn’t one of them. Wish I had ordered from Amazon so I could return it. Ok at 25 yards. Hard to even see the 3 inch shoot and sees at 50. Every power range you move ocular eyepiece has to be adjusted. Duplex reticle a little too thick. Could still keep cci around 1 inch at 50 and for fairness will have to change trigger and scope on the Ruger for a good comparison.

When it comes to scopes and mounts, in addition to requiring good optics and weatherproofness, I want my scopes to be as compact and as low-mounted as practical on any rifle but especially so when they are installed on a .22 sporter.

I purchased one about 10/2018,
Beautiful rifle. I am a short individual so my LOP has to be around 12". I had no problems cutting the stock down to this LOP. Put a sling on her and a Bushnell scope on her. Great shooter.

A sling is my next add on. It’s nice and light but 2 hands isn’t enough sometimes. Finally got decent 2x7 mounted super low on it. Been a decent shooter but it sure gets dirty quick.

I have a model 60 from the 1972, never really warmed up to it and haven't shot mine in 30 years. I much prefer the 9422 I have.

Some like them but I just never liked it.

aPhkvYnh.jpg

I think the more notable issue relevant to the Marlin Model 60 is how remarkably long this thread has remained in the Bolt, Lever, And Pump Action Rifle sub-forum. :D
Denis

I think the more notable issue relevant to the Marlin Model 60 is how remarkably long this thread has remained in the Bolt, Lever, And Pump Action Rifle sub-forum.
Denis

Would you think the same if it had been about Ruger 10/22's?

Well....yeah.
Since the 10/22 is no more of a bolt, lever, or pump gun than the Marlin 60 is.

Sorta a "duh" question. :)
Denis

Back