Marlin .444 Downs Charging Grizzly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our (world) record is 880 lbs (killed about 10 miles from my house), and 500-600 lbs is not unusual at all in Eastern NC
Okay....

My family once owned a 1969 Subaru 360. Today, it would be worth about $1.3 million.
...But that doesn't mean that all of the cars that we have owned are worth the same.

Outlying examples do not establish a mean.

---
For the record, that Subaru was given to us by a family member that paid $50 for it, just so he could drive from California to Utah in about 1985. None of us (including the person that gave it to us) knew that it had a tiny little TWO-STROKE engine. So, after we filled it up with regular gas the first time, and the engine seized, we drug it out into the desert and used it as a target.
It was about 10 years later that I discovered just how rare that car was, especially in the US, and just how valuable US import models, even in poor condition, were to Japanese collectors.... :eek:

I think most of the criticism against the 444 is targeted specifically to using the lighter weight jacketed .44 Mag bullets which like any bullet, have a design limit and the 444 can most certainly exceed that which leads to poor penetration. The same bullet in a .44 mag would hold together better and penetrate better despite slower velocity because it's being utilized correctly. As other have pointed out, use the right bullet for the job and no question the 444 is a potent choice.
Yep.
And most people that think .444 Marlin is a crappy cartridge, because of the pistol bullet handicap, don't have a clue that most factory ammo is now using bullets designed specifically for .444 Marlin, not .44 Mag.

And the few crappy bullets that are still around in factory ammo (like the Hornady 265 FTX and Remington 240 SP) are despised by most experienced .444 owners.

Okay....

My family once owned a 1969 Subaru 360. Today, it would be worth about $1.3 million.
...But that doesn't mean that all of the cars that we have owned are worth the same.

Outlying examples do not establish a mean.

LOL

I showed you nearly 55 bears from just one season that weighed over 500 lbs, and now you're talking about cars.

We grow huge bears here whether you were aware of it or not, and a 500 lb bear here is not, to use your words, "nearly unheard of"

We even had a 6th grader who killed a 450 lb SOW bear.
http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=1630
“The first time he checked the weight, the scales said 445 pounds,” Paul said. “He bounced the bear one time, and the scales said 450 pounds. When he weighed her on a second set of scales and she still weighed 450 pounds, he said it was a new state record for a female bear.”

We have pigs that weigh that much too.:
http://myfox8.com/2014/03/17/another-giant-boar-killed-in-eastern-north-carolina/

If the 800 lb alligators don't eat them first:
http://www.wral.com/800-pound-gator-hit-by-car-in-dare-county/13675775/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back