"Man bag" carry

For various reasons which aren't really applicable to this thread daily CC is a pain in the rear for me. But a year or two ago I started carrying an EDC day pack and I had a gun stowed away in it. I realized it's issues but IMO at the time it was better than a gun at home and the bag was as much a get home and EM bag as something for instant access. Didn't take me long to lose the gun. Constant worry about the bag and it's location and theft made it more of a pain than carrying on my person. If/when I feel the need I still toss a gun in there or in a pocket but I have to weigh trade offs and many times the gun loses.

I have carried both ways using Maxpedition products for off body with dedicated pockets for holsters. I prefer on-body, but there were a couple of times when i saw something developing where I was able to place my hand on my firearm in the bag without drawing attention until I was able to remove myself from the situation. That only helps if you see it coming.

Still, for more reasons than not its weak side bag and strong side gun for me.

Body carry rules the day

Shooters:

Thanks for all the thoughts.

The arguments are strongly in favor of body carry, and it seems like for good reasons.

At this point I have no plans to acquire the permit for concealed carry once they become available in Illinois. If I can find the training close by and it's doesn't cost an arm and a leg I may go after it.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

There is another somewhat in-between option - the Safepacker.

This is a black, rectangular "pouch"/holster which looks like some kind of day-planner but is made to carry a gun. It can be carried on the belt like a holster, hung on a strap, carried loose in the hand, or even attached to a bigger bag. They come in different sizes and work with just about any gun you might have.

There is even a zippered pocket in the flap so you can use it to carry a few items - checkbook, pens, etc. - so it does disguise itself somewhat.

To access your gun you have to undo the clasp and open the flap - but with a little practice this isn't any more difficult than pulling a shirt out of the way.

I have a couple of these. In New Mexico they are legally considered a holster for open carry so I used them before I got my CPL.

Prof Young

If you do decide to get your CHL one of the posters you might wish to "private message" is aarondhgraham, we had a discussion about this subject last year. I think he still carries in a man bag.

A buddy used a diaper bag... when his kids were still little, all he had for concealed carry was a full size 357 mag revolver. He and his wife modified a diaper bag to transform it into an effective holster. He walked around carrying 2 diaper bags (one of them actually contained diapers and baby stuff), she carried everything else. It worked until he was able to get a smaller firearm.

Nobody is going out of their way to steal a diaper bag.

I am not comfortable carrying my gun anywhere except on my person, I did try it though, I bought a special laptop bag with a easy access handgun compartment.

SS Fast Action Gun Bag circa 1981

When President Reagan was shot in 1981, video showed the Secret Service pulling an UZI out of their Fast Action Gun bag.
Galco makes one but It doesn't look much like the pics from 1981.

Does anyone here understand the setup of that holster?

Of the Galco internal holster? Sure. It's a basic elastic pouch, not adjustable for depth or angle, but quite reasonable for a wide variety of handguns.

It has an elastic/Velcro retention strap, which should *always* be used (because as the bag moves around, the gun will wiggle out of the elastic pouch otherwise, no matter how snugly it seems to fit when you first put it in there).

Now the fun part:

To set up the retention strap, first put the short square of the Velcro against the thumb side (inner side) of the holster. Set it up so that you can easily drive your thumb down the side of the gun and break that part of the strap loose.

Then pull the remainder of the strap snugly over the top end of the slide. Don't do the intuitive thing and run it over the grip or backstrap -- if you do, it'll be in the way of getting your hand on the gun when you try to draw. Instead, run it over the top end of the slide on the semiauto, or over the hammer area of the revolver.

Smooth down the remaining, long end of the Velcro over the outer side of the pouch. You are not going to fiddle with that end when you draw -- all the action is on the thumb side of the gun.

There should be enough tension on your elastic/Velcro retention strap that you can easily break the Velcro loose with your thumb as you draw. To do this, simply run your thumb aggressively into place, where it will naturally break loose the Velcro attachment. With the right amount of tension during the set up, the strap flips itself out of your way as you draw.

Hope that makes sense. I have pics around here somewhere.

pax

Like many others I'm strongly in favor of on body carry.
That said, I do use a fanny pack designed for CC in certain situations such as when I'm riding a mountain bike.

No man-bag for me. The only bag I occasionally carry is a gym-bag, and I absolutely keep nothing valuable in it, since I don't even bother locking it up. I like pocket carry. I rarely carry a cell-phone, that stays in my car.

No man-bag for me either. I also don't think a woman should carry this way either because I believe a purse will be the first thing she will be separated from if anything happens, but that's up to them. I don't believe in man-purses or man-caves or man-scaping or bro-mance or any of those things.

I have done it. I prefer to carry on the body in a holster, but for me that is not always an option. It's not the best option but I feel that it is better then none. I do not carry this way walking around town. Only when I am in a fixed environment and threats would not appear as quick.

What happens when you purse is snatched?

LOL, this whole topic just cracks me up. LOL.

If it's a big deal then just get an ankle holster and a J-Frame. That is of course you don't have hairy legs and wear shorts all the time (LOL). Sorry I just couldn't help my self on that (LOL).

Sorry no, man bag or purse for me, just a OWB holster, pistol and a sport coat or jacket.

Jim

It's not ideal, but often my best option,,,

It's not ideal, but often my best option,,,
it beats no gun at all.

I've been using the briefcase for more than two years,,,
I find it to be practical and very convenient.

I was a university student for 7 years,,,
I got used to carrying a satchel or book bag of some sort,,,
Changing to their leather concealed carry briefcase/satchel was no big stretch for me.

I use this Gun Toten Mama's product,,,
And my Y-Chromosome hasn't shriveled one bit.

More often than not I have my Beretta 85 tucked snugly,,,
Inside my G-T-M Concealed Carry Briefcase.

Is it the ideal carry option?,,,
No it isn't.

Is it a viable option?
Yes it certainly is.

When I have my pistol in it,,,
The case never leaves my control,,,
Just get used to wearing it to the bathroom.

The shoulder straps of all G-T-M products have a steel cable inside,,,
That pretty much eliminates the cut the strap and run thing.

Carry the bag with the strap crossed over the shoulders,,,
If someone tries a run and grab they have to take you as well.

I carry the bag where it hangs about 8:00 on my left side,,,
My left hand rests very comfortably on the corner where the zipper is,,,
I just keep the zipper handle there and it's always at hand to open the gun compartment.

Is it as fast as a hip draw?,,,
Probably not but it's not slower by much,,,
With a little practice it's not as slow as you would think.

Last year I was present for a violent encounter in a video store,,,
I really liked the fact that my hand was on my Beretta,,,
Without me having to show my gun to the world.

When the cops arrived I simply removed my hand,,,
And zipped up the briefcase before leaving.

Pay a visit to their website,,,
Check out the briefcase and unisex options,,,
If nothing else, you will absolutely love the picture on their home page.

Aarond

Back