Man am i mad!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, there's nothing wrong with having a "value" version of a given firearm (it's been done by stores like Sears, Western Auto, Montgomery Wards, etc. for decades) so long as the buyer is made aware of the variance via a different model number or a defining description . But to make the argument that Wal Mart is deliberately marketing a firearm that is of a lower quality than its counterpart but claiming it to be identical (same model numbers-i.e., a "Wal Mart" Model 700 masquerading as a Remington Model 700) is hard to swallow.
I've seen this bit of misinformation parading in the internet as fact for years but I've yet to see any real evidence supporting the claim. If someone can empirically verify the allegation, I'd love to see it. Until then, I agree with guruatbol's assessment: "urban legend".

Frankenstein Mauser I am not buying that. Do you have proof?

Any way the rifle is in as good a condition as any. The stock is actually a bit nicer than usual it has a different design for checkering. Kinda reminds me of a tikka the bolt is jeweled the pillars in the stock seem to be perfect and the receiver fits the stock very tightly.

Even the savage axis rifles get the same barrels as the model 10 rifles just less machining on the receiver and trigger.

It is kinda obsured to think that a firearms manufacturer would degrade the quality of a product just because of who sells it. Besides those rifles still have to meet saami minimum and maximum dimentions.

O yeah and if savage for example intentionally made them of lower quality materials and process why in gods name would they ever warranty it?

Im not sure if I believe it either. The Walmart here Moorhead MN,sells 50cal Black Powder. I have checked Model numbers as I shop around, Same Model and everything as name brad sporting goods stores.

Back when Kalifornia was a free state, my grandfather bought a 20g side by side shotgun from mongomery wards. it is a wards model and has a specific serial number to the wards gun. I don't remember who the manufacturer is, but it is a value brand 20 g shotgun.

When you look at the firearms in Walmart, check the serial numbers and model numbers. You will see they are the same ones sold at Cabela's for instance and other places. If they were to be specific to WalMart, they would have some sort of specific notation. Frankly WalMart does not sell enough firearms to warrant a special model built just for them. Sportsman's warehouse and Cabela's on the other hand do. They don't because of the tremendous liability.

I too would love to see proof.

Sorry for the Hijack guys.

To address the OP, I am waiting to hear what Savage says. they are a good company and don't see why they would stand behind their advertisement. Also if I were the OP, I would already have contacted WalMart Corporate. Once the people at the store level could not help you, you should if the matter is important to you, escalate the issue. Believe you me, they will take notice and as we all know, WalMart is all about treatment of the individual and the customer is always right, always. I hear from my wife all the time about how the customer was really wrong and WalMart gave them what they wanted anyway. The store level, even though there is no return of the item should have offered a store credit of some sort to make it right at the very least.

Mel

No manufacturer would degrade the quality their product line so walmart could sell their rifles cheaper... not only would it be false advertising, it would hurt the reputation of quality of said product line.
They would and do, however, make budget variants and model lines for distributors... but those are clearly advertized with their appropriate specs.

The issue here is not whether the OPs rifle is a budget model or not, it is the sticker on it, falsely indicating the rifle had an accustock. The model number and official specs of the rifle are impertinent to the fact that walmart sold the OP a rifle under the pretense that it has an accustock. It does not, thus walmart owes him a refund. If they are unable to offer him a refund due to the nature of the purchase, they need to find an acceptable solution. Im no lawyer, but this is pretty cut and dry... they sold a falsely labled product.

Last edited:
Yes manufacturers will make a special run of firearms for anyone if they order enough of them. Take the Remington M700 ADL, it's no longer listed on Remington's web page but Wal-Mart and Dick's still carry them. Lipsey's is another one that likes to have special guns made, though they don't go cheap.

here are some pics

here are pics of the rifle. it has the smooth barrel nut, the bolt release is on the bottom of the trigger guard. and i have never bought a savage with this checkering pattern but then again i have not bought one for some time.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 42
I will say that this is another reason why I choose to purchase my guns from my local gun store, a place that will stand by what they sell and will not tell me to take it up with the maker of the gun if something is wrong. I'm not saying all local stores are good but I'm lucky enough to have one I can trust. I guess if I bought a brand new tire from Walmart and they installed it and it was flat then I should take it up with Goodyear :rolleyes:

Because the purchase is a firearm walmart can not per policy or maybe even some strange ordinance. This store can not have you bring a gun into the store, it would freak everyone out. Imagine, if you will cop cars, red lights and guns drawn.

I am not saying this excuses Walmart of responsibility in this case. I am also not saying Walmart will not stand behind their mistake. After all I doubt that anyone at Walmart did this on purpose! The OP needs to contact corporate via email which is very easy and tell them. they will make it right.

For instance, I bought a smoker that was damaged in shipping twice. I decided rather than a refund that I would keep the last one and live with a dent in the side. They gave me a refund and basically I got a $200 smoker for under $100.

They will make it as right as they can. We need to remember that this sort of thing can happen anywhere with most any product. Caveat Emptor!

Nope sorry I don't buy that there is a special lower quality product with the same model number made for Walmart. The series mentioned above was for sale at more than one retailer and mentioned above. this was obviously not specific to Walmart. It was probably a less expensive firearm that several retailers could sell at a good price and maybe even a loss leader and gain more sales elsewhere.

If you wish to buy from a LGS and pay more then fine do it. I am all for supporting the local guys, but I will not pay more. I do buy most of my gun stuff locally anyway. I will not pay more for a firearm though. I ask if they will price match and if they will I buy it right there fill out the paperwork and walk out with it and go straight to the range and play.

Just my .02.

OP - Get in contact with Walmart corporate! It will be worth it!

Mel

well what could walmart even do? i mean i will keep the gun.

the bad part is they gave me a 10 percent discount on this one cause the last time i bought a gun there i did all the paper work and the backround check then they said they had a fire in the kitchen and could not sell me the fire arm and said that i would get a 10 percent discount on my next purchase.

well what could walmart even do? i mean i will keep the gun.

Well, if you are happy...But I think at least the store manager needs to know so he can instruct his sporting goods department manager to make sure this is not a mistake that happens again.

Also I think they would be willing to give you a $25 gift card. My wife did it all the time when she was over the customer service area.

Mel

thanks mel i will be happy just knowing that others will not have the same problem or i wont have the same issue again.

wouldnt mind it if they gave me another 10 percent discount on a gun purchase though

i will most likely sand out the barrel channel a little bit and put some glass in the stock. the rifle seems to have one of the better accutriggers. cant wait for next weekend and go shoot it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back