Maine Gun shop destroyed new Colt SAA collector value!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legally, the measure of damage is the value of the object prior to the loss less the value of the object immediately after the loss. I found that out working claims and seeing the result of court cases when they were handled properly.

Infuriating situation.

I kind of hope you do take them to court, I wish you'd had a voice recorder on you so you could verify to the court all the "stuff" they told you.

As for the BBB, I hope they're better in Maine than Minnesota. I've had only one experience with them here and did not get much in the way of satisfaction.

Good luck. Please come back and let us know how it comes out.

shurshot

Maine Gun shop destroyed new Colt SAA collector value!
After a lengthy search, I had a new brand new Colt single action army .45 Peacemaker transferred to my dealer (now FORMER dealer), for an FFL transfer (Gunbroker purchase) and the young know it all clerk, prior to my arrival, "safety checks" the gun,
As he should. Visual confirmation that the firearm is unloaded is common sense.

cuts off the zip tie the Colt Dealer placed on it at my request and then plays with it.
Did you make your transfer dealer aware BEFORE the gun arrived that you wanted the zip tie left intact?

He admitted to dropping the hammer from the half cock notch, and apparently several times too, given the numerous turn Mark's on the cylinder from the cylinder bolt.
He's an idiot at worst, untrained in handling expensive firearms at best. If untrained, his boss should have trained him on how to visually inspect a revolver without opening the cylinder.

He DESTROYED the collector value, as I was planning on putting it away, unturned, uncocked, in the safe for a few decades to pass on or sell. The Clerk refused to accept responsibility for his ignorance and damage he did, was arrogant, tried to blame Colt (which is BS), said they left the turn marks (I have before and after photos from the original seller, an authorized Colt dealership). The gun was MINT and unturned, unmarked prior to this idiot getting his hands on it.
In his defense, the clerk can't read your mind or even be aware of what your intent was. I'm pretty sure that gun was cocked, turned and function checked at the Colt factory.........by someone who knows how to do so without marring the finish.

Manager backs clerk, says ALL guns must be safely checked.
Which is possible on a SAA with nothing more than your eyes.

Colt Single action revolvers have rimmed cartridges (.45 Colt anyhow, as this one was), the gun can be checked easily WITHOUT cocking it by viewing it sideways. ANY cartridge in the cylinder can be seen by holding the gun sideways. The clerk obviously just wanted to play with it (and did!) and subsequently ruined its uncocked / unturned condition. Dropped it from the half cock and or indexed the cylinder!!!???!!! A brand new Colt?!?!? Is he trying to destroy my hammer sear??? Very disappointed in this dealer and the arrogance / poor attitude of the clerk after the fact. He should not be working in a gunshop with that attitude! . He advised me that he knows "allot about single action revolvers and has lots of experience with them". Ha ha!!! Yeah, he sure destroyed mine in short order!!!
Did you choose this FFL to receive your gun?
Apparently he was unaware of the value, unaware of the loss of value by cocking/uncocking/dry firing/etc.
Did the seller put a card, tag or other warning with the firearm: "Collector gun! Visual inspection only!" Or even "Do not open without buyer"?
I transfer a lot of collector grade ($5000 and up) handguns. It's not uncommon to see such a warning notice.

They refuse to accept responsibility and or to pay for the cylinder to be reblued as it isn't covered under Warranty (I already called Colt and started a ticket, and they encouraged me to hold the dealer $$$ responsible for the rebluing). Devalued my new Colt from Collector grade to shooter grade before I could even see it and now I'm stuck with a devalued gun. Not a cheap gun either. Sending it back to Colt now and exploring legal options. Terrible experience.
Rebluing? That won't restore the cylinder to "unturned, uncocked". IMHO, your gun dealer owes you a Colt like you were supposed to get.

Be careful who you conduct buisness with pertaining to valuable weapons.
I'm not victim blaming, but it's always a good idea to let your dealer know ahead of time what you have coming in and any special precautions to take.

If you did that, then the dealer has little to argue with.

I'm not victim blaming, but it's always a good idea to let your dealer know ahead of time what you have coming in and any special precautions to take.

If you did that, then the dealer has little to argue with.]

If the dealer orders a SAA in to stock as inventory,and put on display,from the time the dealer receives it till he sells it,the gun is the dealers property.

The dealer can cut zip ties,dry fire,spin the cylinder ,fan it,twirl it,drop it,etc.

Its the dealer's skin in the game.

With a transfer,the seller owns it till the transfer is made,then the buyer owns it. At no time is that gun the transferring FFL;s property.

Cutting the zip tie and manipulating the action is the equivalent of breaking and entering and trespassing.

Any damage or loss incurred while monkeying around with anther man's property shoud be fully compensated.

IMO,a factory reblue is not good enough. The transferring dealer should order an identical SAA for the customer,and take the damaged one into his store inventory.

The young stupid employee responsible...lets get real here, Eyeballing the space between the cylinder and frame accomplishes checking the gun,that can be done with the gun in the box. The zip tie was cut because "Young and Dumb" wanted to play with a gun that was not his. Intent,excuses,don't nean anything.

Moron

File a property damage claim with the shop's business insurance carrier.

Their state license application should have the carrier's info. policy limits, effective coverage dates, etc.

Even if they are out of business, their business owners policy would remain viable until the policy expires.

HIBC, I thought about a replacement, but I'm trying to be fair to everyone and this dealer primarily deals in tactical type weapons, I suspect a Colt SAA may sit on the shelf for along time.

This Colt was from Lew Horton distributors, whom if some of you haven't heard, is going out of buisness soon (I heard this from a very reliable source).

This is MY Colt Peacemaker. I don't want another one. I want THIS one... refurbished to the exact condition it was before Mr. Potato head frigged it all up . All I want is for them to accept responsibility and to be compensated for the reblued cylinder and any hammer sear / finish damage not covered by warranty. I think that is more than fair and I have a strong hunch the Judge will agree with me if the Dealer insists on allowing this to go to small claims court... which will end up costing them FAR more than if they did the right thing now.

She is back with Colt now, safe and sound, awaiting her makeover. The BBB contacted the dealer yesterday. No response yet. I'm an optimist... things will work out and I'll be compensated, either now or in the future.

She will return to me sooner or later. My heart will remain true and steadfast. No one can take her place. Sure, there are others, but they are just guns. She is MY Colt Peacemaker.

There can be only one.

Last edited:
She will return to me sooner or later. My heart will remain true and steadfast. No one can take her place. The others are just guns. She is my Colt Peacemaker.

Other than getting the gun from your dealer, do you have some sort of "history", some event or experience or sense of nostalgia, with this one of many brand new Colt Peacemaker revolvers? Just curious as to why the attachment to a gun you apparently just met. :confused:

OP I hope you get justice and that FFL never handles another colt. I never even thought about needing to alert a store that my firearm was extra valuable and needed special care, I wouldn't have imagined I'd need to. I'm looking forward to this day I get my SAA and I will be sure to remember this incident and make a comment when I purchase.

Good luck in small claims, I don't think it will be hard to get several witnesses to offer favorable testimony.

shurshot HIBC, I thought about a replacement, but I'm trying to be fair to everyone and this dealer primarily deals in tactical type weapons, I suspect a Colt SAA may sit on the shelf for along time.
What he primarily deals in is not your problem, but his. If a dealer damages a customers gun while in his possession its his responsibility to make it right....and thats provoding you with the gun you bought.

This Colt was from Lew Horton distributors, whom if some of you haven't heard, is going out of buisness soon (I heard this from a very reliable source).
Colt can tell you what other distributors received the same model. Lew Horton can tell you what other dealers received that specific model from LH.

This is MY Colt Peacemaker. I don't want another one. I want THIS one... refurbished to the exact condition it was before Mr. Potato head frigged it all up .
How in the world are you this emotionally attached to THIS gun?
It CAN'T be refurbished to uncocked/undry fired/unwhatever. It will always be a repaired gun.

All I want is for them to accept responsibility and to be compensated for the reblued cylinder and any hammer sear / finish damage not covered by warranty. I think that is more than fair and I have a strong hunch the Judge will agree with me if the Dealer insists on allowing this to go to small claims court... which will end up costing them FAR more than if they did the right thing now.
What happens when the judge orders that the dealer pay you the retail price and the dealer gets to keep the gun?

She is back with Colt now, safe and sound, awaiting her makeover. The BBB contacted the dealer yesterday. No response yet. I'm an optimist... things will work out and I'll be compensated, either now or in the future.
Who sent the gun to Colt?

She will return to me sooner or later. My heart will remain true and steadfast. No one can take her place. Sure, there are others, but they are just guns. She is MY Colt Peacemaker.
Oh good grief. This isn't Jesse James' 1911 or John Dillinger Hi Power.....its a recent production Colt SAA.......one of hundreds if not thousands are identical and exactly like IT.

There can be only one.
No, there can be hundreds if not thousands.

"Oh good grief. This isn't Jesse James' 1911"

I learn something new every day. :rolleyes: I thought he was killed in 1882??

No, the Colt didn't belong to either James or Dillinger, pertaining to THAT statement, you are indeed correct.
It's mine.;)

"its a recent production Colt SAA.......one of hundreds if not thousands are identical and exactly like IT". 

Thanks for educating me on new Colt SAA's, all this time I thought the case hardened colors and patterns were different and unique on each individual gun. Again, I learned something... :rolleyes:

Other questions were already covered in previous posts.

Last edited:
The reasons don't matter the heart wants what it wants. If he's in love with his Colt, then he's in love with his Colt. You and I may see only a current production (even if "semi custom") and see thousands just like it, but he look on it with eyes of love, and a moron disfigured his love for no reason.

No, its not Dillinger's Hi Power nor John the Baptists Mannlicher, but its special to him, let him have his love. So few of us get ours.

This is MY Colt Peacemaker. I don't want another one. I want THIS one... refurbished to the exact condition it was before Mr. Potato head frigged it all up .

There can be only one.

Iffin I wanted a perfect gun and the dealer buggered it up before I took possession, I guarantee you, I would not have taken possession. I would have refused the gun and fought any and all charges to my credit card first, long before I accepted something I didn't want. Yes, they do make more, and I would have wanted a different one, because, even tho it might be refurbished, it still would be a refurbished gun and not original anymore. No different than ordering a new car and having the dealer dinge up the front fender taking it off the truck. Sorry, not new and not original anymore. If all you really want is a gun that looks factory new, without it being original then I guess you'll be fine with it.

Buck, I was in the same frame of thought initially, but I changed my mind after talking with Colt. The dealer has burned me, I was stuck either way. As the gun was / is still new, unfired, now that Colt has it and will resprinkle Blue dome magic dust on it, as far as I am concerned I WILL still be getting a "new" gun. I know what you mean, no it won't be the same as it was... that punk clerk ruined that. But, I'll have at the very least, a beautiful, classic .45 Colt six shooter. Perhaps it will become my new truck gun and I'll just get another (in .44-40 with Stag grips!!) and have it sent to a reputable FFL next time.

My choice was either refuse it and be charged $212, or accept it and get it refinished and take legal action against the gunshop here in Maine, as the owner is responsible for his policy and moronic and rude employee. Whatever isn't covered under Warranty, I'll seek out in small claims court and ensure everyone knows the outcome and name of the gunshop.

The Authorized Colt dealer in Florida is now refusing to deal with these idiots again. Gunbroker will be notified as well of the Maine FFL dealer and what they did and how their lack of buisness ethics.

Mainah, I SHOULD have gone through Howells, it's only a 20 min further drive. Live and learn.:cool:

Last edited:
as I was planning on putting it away, unturned, uncocked, in the safe for a few decades to pass on or sell.

I certainly understand your plight. You bought an unturned, un-used pistol, wanted to keep it that way..and the dunce clerk gooned it up.

BUT..ya know, it's wonderful to look at, hold and admire any handgun but the real pleasure of owning any gun, IMHO, is shooting it. Including this Colt, which I think would be a blast to shoot..:)

USNRet93 said:
BUT..ya know, it's wonderful to look at, hold and admire any handgun but the real pleasure of owning any gun, IMHO, is shooting it. Including this Colt, which I think would be a blast to shoot..

"Different strokes for different folks."

"To each his own."

Choose your own aphorism. Shooters buy firearms to shoot. Collectors buy firearms to look at and to admire. Most of my guns are shooters, I own one that I have not shot and probably will never shoot, and for me the most pleasure I get out of the whole thing is tinkering with them on the workbench.

Small claims MAY be the way to go. But find the judge who will understand how a ....line.... on a cylinder can be enough damage to find in your favor.

They may make a partial claim or something.

In another vein, I had a SAA with ZERO finish refinished at Colt.

It was indistinguishable from a NEW gun!

and the one I sent to them had VERY light lettering.

Ah well....

Lavan said:
Small claims MAY be the way to go. But find the judge who will understand how a ....line.... on a cylinder can be enough damage to find in your favor.
A couple of affidavits from other dealers or appraisers will handle that. The judge doesn't need to understand what causes the line, or why or how it affects the value. All he/she needs to know is that it shouldn't be there, and that it does lower the value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back