Maine Gun shop destroyed new Colt SAA collector value!

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, The BBB may not do much, but it's a start. Small claims court and Social media will be next. If I end up eating this, well, that's life. But I will do my damndest to make sure others know what happened so they can seek out a different FFL Dealer and avoid going through this.
Stag, I sure wish I didn't live 3 hours south of you!!!

On it's way to Colt now. Perhaps in a few months (Colt custom shop is very busy), I'll get back a nice, shiny brand spanking new hog leg! :D.

In the mean time, I'll locate a NEW FFL dealer, one who doesn't employee Potato heads!

Last edited:
My guess is Colt will make it right and you won't end up paying anything--but who knows. I still think even if the employee is the screw-up--it's up to the owner of the shop to own it and make it right.

I would point out that their policy of "safety checking" every firearm likely opens up liability as well. Prior to doing this they are simply acting as an agent of the sale. Once they start "checking" things for you they have gone beyond that.

The BBB is a joke. When was the last time you checked BBB references prior to issues arising? They have zero authority and even worse are in the business of defending their members. They should not be viewed as neutral.

Nope, not Kittery, nor Howell's either. I SHOULD have shipped it to one of them though. It's a good sized outfit with an indoor range, in Southern Maine, let's leave it at that. :cool:
Let me see how it plays out, I'll gladly out them if they don't make this right soon. I don't want anyone else to get burned like this. It AIN'T right... and that manager knows it.

I think an FFL transfer receiver is only required to verify the serial number on the registered component--that's it and nothing else, as far as I know. I always worry about "hey guys--check this out" bubba-fest when doing transfers. I've been at GS's when stuff came in for other folks and was allowed to handle the firearm (probably cause they wanted to see if I was interested inn getting one). I always keep close track of the delivery and make sure I'm there right after delivery.

Gotta mention, that MY local FFL that I sent more than a few Gunbroker buys too, opened the box/case to make sure it was the seller said it was, to record the serial number in his 'book', but that's all. No action checks whatsoever..as a FFL getting a transfer, I see no need to work the action..it's not their gun, after all.

It's a good sized outfit with an indoor range
There in lies the problem. Too big, too busy, with certain "house rules" dictated by the legal staff.
Do they allow "kitchen table" FFL dealers in your state? Someone without owners, managers, clerks, and who knows who else in their store to handle the goods.
A more personal relationship with the actual FFL holder that will receive your item is a much better way to go. That way you can be clear about anyone else handling the goods.
Altought when you are talking about a $2k collector piece, cost of the transfer is insignificant, but often the smaller home FFL dealers charge less for the transfer as well.

A new brand new Colt Single Action Army doesn't have any collector value. Your only option is a lawyer. If it ever gets to court, it will cost you a bundle of money. Law suits are like that. It is the gun shop that is liable though.
Social media is not a place to deal with this. Far more likely that'd backfire on you.
"...Colt will make it right..." Wouldn't count on it. They're not involved.
"...Youth and stupidity can be outgrown...." Let me introduce you to The Right Honourable Justin Pierre James Trudeau. Who at the ripe age of 29(not a youth), currently 48 years, pranced around a High School staff party in black face. snicker.

T.Oheir,
The Colt may not be a collectors gun in your opinion at this point in time and I'm sure many would agree with you, although I don't. They seem to be selling pretty quickly as the Colt website always says they are not available. Been that way for awhile. Long waiting list at the Colt custom shop. Demand must be greater than the supply, as they seem to sell above MSRP by about 10% or more here in the USA.
And... the Colt manual states it IS a collector's gun, and excessive handling and or shooting it will devalue it. I mean, after all, it IS a Colt, and if the manual states it has collectors value, who are we to question it?? I mean, it's not like it's Hipoint saying its 9mm is a collector's piece... this is COLT writing this. :D.
My intention, as I previously wrote, was to put it away, unmolested, unturned, etc, for SEVERAL DECADES, at which point one of my heirs may appreciate it, or I will sell it if I'm still kicking. In several decades, a 2019 Colt SAA, unturned, unfired and uncocked, in the USA... WILL be a collectors item. Few will doubt that. We Americans like our Colts and Winchesters. We are talking 30 years in the future. Pretty sure it WILL appreciate in value... even more so if some nimrod didn't play with it and mar up the cylinder.
Thanks for your advice. Small claims court is my next step, no lawyer needed... I have before and after photos and can testify before the Judge. Odds are they will settle during mediation.

Last edited:
How do plan to fix a value on your loss? Just because you believe it’ll be worth X in “several decades ” doesn’t make it so, trying to identify what something is worth means you’re trying to predict human behavior.

At best I’d think you’d be entitled to the difference between 99% and NIB but even that would be a tough sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously? Did I say I was seeking compensation based on the potential value in a few decades? I don't recall writing that. I was responding to the Canadian stating it wasn't collectible. I swear some of you guys dont read posts prior to commenting. I expect to recover the costs of having the cylinder reblued, plus any other nominal fees that are not covered under warranty. Fair and simple, as written at the beginning of this thread.
If I was good at predicting future values, I would have bought the Bren Ten a now closed gunshop had for $400 or so a few decades ago, and my buddy's Ultimate stainless Colt python for $450 when it was offered to me!! :D

Last edited:
He DESTROYED the collector value, as I was planning on putting it away, unturned, uncocked, in the safe for a few decades to pass on or sell.

You said it so my reading comprehension is just fine, memory may be a bit weak.

Good luck to you in your pursuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never stated I was seeking compensation for any future value. Perhaps I should have clarified it better. In the same post I also stated "They refuse to accept responsibility and or to pay for the cylinder to be reblued as it isn't covered under Warranty (I already called Colt and started a ticket, and they encouraged me to hold the dealer $$$ responsible for the rebluing)."

. the Colt manual states it IS a collector's gun, and excessive handling and or shooting it will devalue it. I mean, after all, it IS a Colt, and if the manual states it has collectors value, who are we to question it?? I mean, it's not like it's Hipoint saying its 9mm is a collector's piece... this is COLT writing this.

First off, what makes you think Colt is above advertising hype and hyperbole? They aren't.

Second, the way the market works, "excessive handling and or shooting" devalues EVERYTHING, Not just special Colts...

Who are we to question Colt? We're the people buying, or not buying their stuff. It is consumer DEMAND that makes something "collectible", not the maker saying so.

You could have people engrave Currier & Ives scenes on a limited production run of "collectible" guns, but that doesn't make them collectable, only people buying them makes it so.

I get it, you bought an unturned, factory new gun with a 100% finish. That's what you PAID for, and the gunshop employee "playing" with it changed that. Absolutely, they owe you the cost difference between what you paid for, and what its worth, now.

It's COLT. If you don't get it, I can't help you. ;)

44amp stated; "Who are we to question Colt? We're the people buying, or not buying their stuff. It is consumer DEMAND that makes something "collectible", not the maker saying so."

Yes, we agree. You are absolutely correct. Exactly why the Colt custom shop has a waiting list for SAA Peacemakers. Some wait years and pay higher than the MSRP. Consumer demand DOES indeed make them "collectible", as stated in the manual. :D

Last edited:
This is all so lame--it doesn't matter what any of you think about whether or not the OP's value assessment is realistic or not; the only thing that really matters is that he's entitled to expect the gun delivered to him in new condition to do whatever (legally) he wants with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back