magazine drops

That's funny. I guess it could go either way.

Some people age and change things into what you moved away from. I don't know your age. But look at people like Clint Smith? He carries either a 1911 with 2-4 spare mags or a Glock with 2-4 spare mags.

Everyone changes their mind based on their own reasoning. I don't think it has to do with age, generally.

When I only had access to indoor ranges, I wouldn't do mag drops unless I took a half step back and there something that would keep things from bouncing in front of the firing line. Once anything falls in front, it would be a pain to get a range officer to tell everyone to cease fire so they could stare at me while I go fetch it.

Outdoors, my current range has a little gravel that's mostly overgrown with grass or just bare dirt so no harm done. I'd feel better dropping polymer mags as they can flex rather than dent/scratch. The exception being KCI mags for Glocks which I hear crack a bit more easily.

When I only had access to indoor ranges, I wouldn't do mag drops unless I took a half step back and there something that would keep things from bouncing in front of the firing line. Once anything falls in front, it would be a pain to get a range officer to tell everyone to cease fire so they could stare at me while I go fetch it.

Outdoors, my current range has a little gravel that's mostly overgrown with grass or just bare dirt so no harm done. I'd feel better dropping polymer mags as they can flex rather than dent/scratch. The exception being KCI mags for Glocks which I hear crack a bit more easily.
The first part is a very smart and fair point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've only destroyed a couple mags over a decade or so. One or two older 1911 mags decided to spontaneously deconstruct themselves, throwing parts across the firing line, and a 1911 mag got crushed when I body slammed it into a cinder block wall in an obstacle course (not the mag's fault there!)
You just reminded me, the only mags I've damaged from drops were 1911 mags. The baseplates are welded on. When they dropped on concrete, sometimes the welds broke and the guts came out the bottom. I had a couple mags do that. There are plastic and rubber bumpers that screw onto the bottoms to prevent that.

Back