Machine gun payment options....

I still get a kick out of shooting my AC556. And, it's fun to take when I go shooting with friends. I've had mine for 8 years now and I've most definitely gotten my $2,400 worth of fun out of it. But, if I had to pay $6,500 for it, I could honestly say I probably would never buy it and I wouldn't regrett it either.

The only other full-auto "gun" that I may some day get is a sear for my
FNC. That would be about $3000 for the sear and about another $800 or so for the conversion. I haven't done it that, so that aught to tell you something about where my cut-off is for gun fun.

+1 to 444's comment.

If you have the money right now to buy the gun, buy it. If you want to use a card to buy it and pay it off over the next year... Don't. If you want to use the card to somehow hide the purchase from your wife, call a good divorce attorney because it sounds like you have bigger problems.

Another thing that is prohibitive about owning a machinegun is feeding it. In my experience with a 9mm subgun, I told all my friends that they could shoot it ONLY when they bought their own ammo. Sure I let a few people shoot it on my dime but 25 rounds of 9mm cost $6! Six bucks burned up in two seconds, insert another mag and burn six more. (yes 9mm costs more now) I don't know what you are looking to buy but if it is in .223 or .308... Burn fifteen bucks in two seconds...

Willie, you indirectly brought up another good point about machinegun ownership.
You spend five minutes loading a magazine. The it is gone in seconds. Then you spend another five minutes loading a magazine, and it is gone in seconds.
I load a bunch of magazines at home and they are gone in minutes.

It gets real old, this magazine loading.

When I take somebody out that wants to shoot my gun, I am not a real big stickler on making them buy ammo. Most of them show up with ammo just because it is the right thing to do. BUT............I do tell them that if they want to shoot my SMG, THEY have to load the magazines. ;)
Even if they bring their own ammo, we always end up shooting some of mine because they don't realize how quickly you run though a couple hundred rounds of ammo. They show up with a couple hundred rounds of ammo thinking that is enough for everybody there to shoot. They think they are going to have some fun and in turn are paying me back by letting me shoot their ammo. Never works out that way though. 200 rounds of ammo is only six mags.

Last edited:
All I asked was why do most dealers not accept credit cards, I never said I was going to buy the entire thing on a credit card, or asked if that was financially wise, although i figured there would be comments about it. Nor did I mention hiding it from my wife, I appreciate the concern but I know my wife well enough, if I did hide from her we would get a divorce, I know that.

My plan was to possibly pay for part of it with a credit card, probably get a new credit card with 0% interest for a year and put 5-6k on there to soften the blow so I could get my machine gun a little sooner, I dont see the issue with that.

I didnt mean to offend anyone with the snobby country club comment that was a joke, I was just amazed at the responses telling me if you cant pay cash for one and afford 5k a year for ammo without even thinking about it that you shouldnt own a machine gun, I disagree.

As for buying it an never using it, I'm sure to some extent I will use it less over the years, but I dont think that is a reason not to get one. When I bought my 1st motorcycle I probably rode it every day, now I hardly ever ride it, still glad I have it though. I think the same is true with most toys.

Ammo- sure its expensive. But paying 1k a year for 4k rounds of steel case stuff to blow away on FA isnt that bad, hardly a reason not to get one. I plan on letting friends shoot it too if they bring thier own ammo and some for me, Im sure I can score another 500 rounds a year for free that way.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Reasons for no CC acceptance, the dealer takes up to a 3% hit on the item, there is a chance you try to do a chargeback on the deal and the card company sides with the consumer,

Nor did I mention hiding it from my wife,

That is what I understood from this quote from your first post.

I'm willing to pay but having that much cash on hand that my wife would let me spend on one is another issue

Don’t get me wrong, I hope when I die my wife doesn’t sell my firearms for what she thinks they are worth but I don’t ask about her shoes and purses either.

Back