M240B

I would like to bring closure to this thread.

Sometime around February, 2015, I started a search for a transferable M240. Part of my search was posting a query in various forums, including this forum. As you can probably guess, transferable M240s, no matter if they're FNMI, which are the rarest, or DLO or MAG58s, are all exceedingly rare, maybe one of the rarest transferable MGs available. So it took a lot of digging, a lot of false leads.

Eventually, I found a transferable factory M240 for sale.

The prior owner had two, the number 1 gun and the number 0 gun that came out from the FNMI factory. I convinced the representing agent to sell me both, so that I could keep the guns together, rather than separate them. I argued that keeping the guns together would make sense from a historical and collectors perspective. Sequentially serialed FNMI M240s is about as rare of a pairing in the gun world, period, MG or not MG.

After much thinking, the agent, who had already bought the 1 gun for himself, decided to sell me both guns, so that they would stay together.

The number 1 gun is unfired, and still has the factory cosmoline on it. I have that one wrapped up and will never shoot it. The 0 gun is my range gun.

Here are the guns together.

Here is one of the M240 on an M192 Lightweight Ground Mount. I do not shoot my beltfeds off the bipods, ever (see Thomas Hoel's article as to why). The gun in front is my Maremont M60 upgraded to E6 configuration. The M60E6 is actually a lot smaller than the M240. The perspective of the two guns makes the M60E6 appear bigger than its real size.

Here's a better picture of the size comparison, from a top perspective.

I would like to thank all the members of this forum for your help, guidance, and information along the way. A big shout out to guys like a Sharkbite and Theohazard (the zen master of silencers).

Last edited:
OMG!!!!!

You not only found one to buy...but a sequential Pair??!!?!?!?! :eek:

When i grow up i want to be YOU!!!!

Dude, seriously, well done. Congrats on the new twins

Tony,
Without sharing personal details about your purchase, would you mind sharing the approximate value of a standard transferrable 240B? Obviously yours are mint or near mint and sequentially numbered so I don't expect you to share the value of your acquisition, but I wasn't even aware there were any transferable 240s so I'm pretty curious what a standard one would bring if you could find a seller.

There are three types of transferable 240/MAG58 class guns available: DLO, Mag58, and FNMI M240s.

The 'B' designation is an upgrade and kit, like the U.S. Ordnance E6 is an upgrade for the M60. All versions of the M240 can be upgraded to the B designation.

The problem with pricing is that there aren't enough transactions to develop a reliable market average. The machine gun price guide states that the M240/MAG58 had in 4Q 2013 an average selling price of $160,000. The problem is that the MGPG doesn't differentiate between the type of 240, presumably this means that the MGPG is lumping in all three types.

Also, the MGPG stops at 2013 for the 240. No one has reported a transaction since 2013. We can't use the same inflation/appreciation rate for the 240 that we would use for an M16 or HK sear, for example. MG families don't all appreciate at the same rate, for various reasons.

I believe that the pricing hierarchy is as follows...

The most desirable are the FNMI M240s. No one knows exactly how many exist, but estimates range from 6-12, according to what I've been told by various dealers. Those are priced the highest, and can average for around $200,000. Key word: average.

The next most desirable are the MAG 58 guns. I've never personally handled a MAG 58 stamped gun. I am currently in the market for a MAG 58 stamped gun. In my opinion, based on what I've been told, and from what I have seen, the MAG 58 stamped guns are worth about 60-75% of the M240 stamped guns.

Finally, the DLO guns, completed, are worth about 40%-50% of the FNMI stamped guns. Some of the DLO guns require a lot of work to get into factory spec, and can cost tens of thousands to get them operational (what I was told by a gentleman who has a very nice DLO gun). A completed DLO gun will run about $80,000 to $120,000, depending on condition. DLO plates that are not complete guns can run from a low of $50,000 to $80,000, average.

Last edited:
Now that's just so awesome that you were able to get your hands on TWO M240's. I think next you need to find an M2 .50 Cal to play around with. :D I was an M240 Assistant Gunner for my first year in my National Guard unit, and really enjoyed the trigger time I got with it. The thing is just about unstoppable with live rounds, blanks could be finicky though. Most of the time it was due to BFA's not being tight enough.

OMG!!!!!

You not only found one to buy...but a sequential Pair??!!?!?!?!

When i grow up i want to be YOU!!!!

Good grief, this made me laugh.... not the least because it was exactly what I had been thinking!!

MG-tony.... well done. What more can be said than very, very well done!!

I am a SOT & it was brought to my attention today that a local guy has one for sale still sitting on a Form 3 at a dealer about a hour away. They pop up from time to time. I hope to see it in person shortly I know there were asking if we had anyone interested.

Back