M240B

We ran the serial number through ATF, and there was no such gun.

Lesson here is to be very careful, no matter how good your "source" on these guns.

I am going to stop posting until I actually have my form 3 approved, and the gun is at my dealer. I have a suspicion that there will be many more fake leads coming. I will save the virtual ink.

Update to this thread.

I have reached a deal for an M240B.

All verification and checks have been made. Now pending a form 3.

Last edited:
Dude...That is frickin awesome.

I got out of the Marine Corps before the 240 come into play. All my time was with an old '60. When i got into govt contract work, i had to qual on a 240....what a difference. The 240 is bigger, but what a workhorse.

You are going to LOVE it

Thanks, fellas. Now the long two part wait.

What is the point of the curved buttstock on the M240B? I thought it was a place to rest your head lower on the gun, but the servicemen in YouTube videos have their heads well above, and ahead of, the buttstock when shooting the M240B. Even if it is a place to rest your head lower, why have other buttstock designs not implemented the curved buttstock design?

Pictures will soon follow.

Machineguntony said:
What is the point of the curved buttstock on the M240B?

It's so you can use your support hand like this:

k3ogk.jpg

That's how most people shoot it, and it helps stabilize the gun. Also, on a tri-pod you can push to one side (usually the right) to take out the play in the T&E mechanism.

I shot it just like the guy in the pic above, except I usually used my support hand in the notch in the bottom of the stock like this (but I was in the minority):

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Where does one acquire an M122 tripod? I can't find one online. I'm going to baby this thing like it's a fragile infant, and never shoot it off the bipod. I already have its own safe, alarm, dog, and surveillance system ready for it.

Also, what type/brand of front grip is this?

In this YouTube video, this warfighter seems to have a different grip that is QuickDetach. Any idea what brand of grip is in this video? I'd like to have a QD front grip, versus the grip that requires a wrench/key.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xdj0lBklvM

Last edited:
That Marine's review is spot-on and brings back memories. There's nothing like providing overhead fire using squad and then section talking guns for over an hour during company-sized assaults at CAX. It's a work of art.

The only thing that differed from my experience was his mention of blanks. Our 240s absolutely sucked with blanks. I can count on one hand the number of times I saw a 240 get off a full belt without multiple stoppages using blanks. Most of the time our guns wouldn't even fire more than one shot with blanks. Maybe it was the BFAs we were using, because he didn't seem to have that problem. But that wasn't a big deal, because our guns were unstoppable with live rounds.

Did you ever find a tripod for your new MG? If not, PM me and I'll connect you with a guy that runs a weapons museum. He's an old classmate of my wife and an old Vietnam combat Marine. The museum he runs is in Ruston, Louisiana, and has the most extensive collection of rifles and machine guns I have ever seen. He will likely know who you need to talk to. And he has a warehouse of guns and parts. I really enjoyed talking with him about where he got various weapons (Soviet MG's, AA guns, etc,) and other parts like tripods and such.

Back