M1 Garand

Yes Young.Gun, they're all U.S. surplus but as to whether or not they're combat veterans a lot will ride on luck and whatever they happen to be shipping at the time.

My first Garand from the DCM (now CMP) was a six-digit Springfield and as such it very likely did see service in WWII since it was made before the war and had been rebarreled at a federal arsenal in 1949. It's a great looking old war horse with lots of character in my view and it shoots great.

My second Garand, received about a year ago, is a 1950s vintage Springfield and it looks to have been very lightly used. As such I doubt that it's seen combat but the benefit of course is that it looks and shoots absolutely great.

Neither rifle cost me very much since I was willing to do what it takes to purchase through the government and both are nicer than the import stamped junk I often seen floating into gun shops and wholesale sites.

Good luck to you!

Best,
Oly

Oly,

Being in AZ, do you have any recommendation for one local CMP qualifying organization over another? I would like to purchase through CMP and at the same time be a member in an active and productive organization since that's part of the process anyway.

YoungGun
Heres a club to join, simply send in your $14.00 https://m1collectorsclub.com/Home.php
That will fullfill the club mmembership portion ,then you only need to fullfill the fireams activity requirements.
There has been alot of misinformation givin in this post.
It does not take 3 months to get a Garand from CMP. They are running approx 30 days from the time they receiver your order
SOG Garands are Import marked and beat to heck. Alot of guys that have bought them either sent them back or had to get them rebarreled, reparked and replaced the stock.They are not worth it
A CMP Garand is in much better condition and not Import marked.
My suggestion is to order atleast a Service grade, you will get a good shooter. Dont forget to order ammo
Good Luck
Here are a few of my CMP Garands
MVC-008S-1.jpg

This is why I really want to hold on to My M1917 She is real history, and the rifle that Sergeant alvin T York actually carried when he won the CMH

Yes, Service Grade is the way to go. I saved a few bucks my first and ordered a Field Grade and while it's still far nicer than anything I've seen from SOG and shoots well it's no where near as nice as my Service Grade.

Sun Devil: I'm an ASU man myself (Go Devils!) but I'm down in Tucson. I belong to the Pima Pistol Club and it satisfies membership for CMP but the better club in Tucson for M1 and other match shooting is the Tucson Rifle Club. If you're up in the Phoenix area as I suspect then I'm afraid I don't know much for you because I've not lived up there for over 20 years now.

Good luck!

Oly

Thanks for the reply oly...yeah I am Phoenix. So we'll see what's out there...I am interested in maybe doing an appleseed event too. Too many plans, not enough time.

Whew...glad you went CMP, and I agree, the Service Grade is most likely your best bet

A 450 dollar M1 rifle is going to be...drumroll please...a 450 dollar milsurp rifle.

A CMP rifle will be tested by the CMP, and the CMP stands behind their sales. I have had good luck with SOG, mind; my P.38 was so nice when I got it, well, I couldn't believe it actually

But the CMP is different. Would SOG, a company I would do business with again incidentally, send me a new bullet guide (clips would not load easily) and toss in a milled trigger guard because I mentioned I liked them better than the stamped one that came on the rifle, all for no cost at all?

I doubt it. But the CMP did :). And they didn't give me a lot of nonsense about how the bullet guide wasn't the problem, either. Five days later the parts showed up, I installed the replacement guide and...zero problems since. I like the way the CMP handled that

Now, Young Gun, when the rifle shows up, it probably will have new wood on it. If it does, I suggest a product called 'Fairtrimmer's Military oX':

http://www.fairtrimmers.com/index.html

if it does not, if the rifle has old beat up ugly USGI wood, do not panic. Remember two things:

1) that USGI stock is inlet properly. If it locks up well (meaning the trigger group, when installed into the receiver when that is mounted in the wood, it should be a fit on the tight side of snug) and has no cracks, then the stock works, and that's important

2) If it looks like Godzilla crapped it out after a trip to Tacobell, it can be saved. I've done two M1 rifle stocks that looked like that and two M1 carbine stocks that looked bad, one so bad it seemed as if it had been dragged home after WWII and then used to hit rocks. And the good news it, it will only take a few hours :)

My own M1 rifle's stock looked so awful there was actually an instant in which I wanted to send it back, but I figured 'I paid for the metal, not the wood'. The stock looked like it had been used to stir a pot of boiling tar

Here it is now; good shooter. 1944 receiver, 1946 barrel. It did something during WWII that got it rebarreled...training? Action? I'll never know. I'm afraid of dropping it...I might dent the floor
m1rec.jpg

Are there any website as to care and upkeep of a Garand? I'm fairly novice to guns, and it sounds like this old milsurp needs a little TLC to manage. Not that I mind, I mean, they're beautiful guns. I just want to know what I'm in for ahead of time.

Back