M1 Garand

Thanks for the info on the M1 collectors club. I noted that about GCA, was gonna hold off until sept to join. No ammo is cheap anymore, except .22. I see some commercial rounds for 30-06 at about $14/20 rounds. But, as I am learning (remember I am quite new to the technical aspects of firearms/ammo) there is tremendous variation in ammo. I think I need to search posts as far as what is safe for Garand shooting and what to avoid. I have not shot mine, yet. But, was planning on using Winchester Super-X power or soft point until I could get some surplus. Also have some Prvi partizan I got years ago --- 20 rds for 6.95.

I'll give you a fast rundown on Garand food.
No commercial ammo of any kind with the exception, Federal and Hornady both make a Garand specific round. Its very pricey though, well over $1.00 per rd
You can use commercial ammo if you install a adjustable gas screw to bleed off excess pressure.
Some guys will tell you it is fine to shoot commercial ammo ,they have done it for years etc. I'm telling you not to with the gas screw, its your decision
Get surplus from CMP

does having a c&r license make you not have to met the marksmanship requirement? I read it somewhere recently

I just got a paper from Southern Ohio Gun, and they have M1 Garands for $450 thats the best price I have seen on them.

TX sounds good

If you can get a Garand thru SOG as TX Hunter says Than I say go for it.For one thing you won't pay any less at CMP unless you buy a carbine. moreover CMP will take almost 3 months to get it to you(This is their posted shipping time) while SOG will probaby have it to you in a week. I don't own a Garand and don't want one I collect the old bolt action milsurps, but I am thinking of buying an SKS,or the Hakim. I'll tell you what I wish I had the money to buy
I would dearly love to own a Thompson

Last edited:
Here is the Add, I will Copy it.

New Shipment, New Lower Price U.S. M1 Garands!
These are historic battle rifles from WW2 and Korea. These rifles are machanically fine, original finish and wood that is in good condition. Some wear on metal and dings in wood and will clean up better with a little TLC. lenght 43", 24"barrel, adjustable rear shight, weight 9.5lbs
new price $429.00:)
Here is their website, good luck.
http://www.southernohiogun.com/

I don't own a Garand and don't want one

Which, with all due respect, is why your advice on the matter is less than helpful.

To the person who asked: Spend a small sum more and get a CMP Garand shipped directly to your door. It will not have a fugly importer's stamp on it, it will be in better condition, and it will unquestionably be a shooter.

I have two CMP Garands and both shoot really well and look great. The SOG Garands I have seen have been so worn and rattly that they were good only to introduce a person to the M1 and not much else in my view unless a person is going to use the parts as a starting point to build one up.

Instant gratification will last only a short time but a good, quality M1 Garand will bring a lifetime of enjoyment.

Oly

always picking fights

Why must I have to keep defending myself? I DON'T COLLECT THE GARAND.
THEREFORE I DON'T WANT THE GARAND AND WHAT'S MORE I DON'T LIKE THEM. YOU LIKE THE GARAND, FINE BY ALL MEANS COLLECT THEM AND SHOOT THE DAMN THINGS. FOR YOUR INFORMATION THE STUFF I COMPETE WITH IS VINTAGE MILSURP OR CIVILIAN. AND SOME OF MY RIFLES ARE HISTORICAL ANTIQUES!!! IS THAT OK WITH YOU OLINAZ??OR WHAT EVER YOUR NAME IS. TX HUNTER SAID THE SAME THING I SAID, BUT YOU DIDN'T START SHOOTING AT HIM DID YOU??? NOW BACK THE HECK OFF ME I'M ENTITLED TO MY SAY. I GAVE THAT YOUNG MAN WHAT I DEEMED GOOD ADVICE.

TXHunter,

SOG's flyer may still show Garands as available, but I'm pretty sure they've been out of stock for some time.

Yeah, I searched for a Garand on SOG's website, and it returned no results.

How is it that CMP can ship a rifle straight to your door?

That would be very upsetting to recieve an advertisement for a product that is not in stock.
Sorry, I was just trying to help.
The Garand is a hard firearm to obtain.
I respect my fellow shooters, and collectors.
Our taste, and preference in firearms may differ, but we have to learn to respect our fellow shooters.
Best Regards, and good luck.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I've decided to just go the CMP route, and I think I've found a club but I'll need to get another rifle or a revolver before. Oh well, excuse to buy another gun!

So these CMP guns are all surplus? As in they've been issued and seen duty in wartime? I can't wait to own a functional piece of history.

Back