Lubriplate Grease

From everything I've read, that is NOT the calcium-based Lubriplate we should be looking for. The correct stuff comes in a tube with a completely different label.

'Calcium based'? The low-temp grease tube says right on the label that it's 'petroleum oil.'

And who is 'we'?

By the way, I have both makes of the Lubriplate. The 'regular' Lubriplate grease, which I've used for at least two decades on my M1s, is white. The low-temp stuff is gray-ish in color.

Don't recall the batch number, but lubriplate was issued with our Air Force M1 Garands in the mid-60's. It came in those little plastic, yellow topped canisters that fit into the butt-stock holes. It was impervious to heavy rain...a big plus in the south Pacific during WWll, and also on the Rodriquez Range at Camp Perry in 65-67. Lots of TRW's those weeks and the range became a swamp between the 200 & 300 yd firing and ready lines. Duck boards in the pits kept us almost dry shod.

I now use US military weapons grease (2# for $2 a decade ago). It's good with my M1's, a cpl M1 Carbines and all of my 1911's. Sigs have always run wet in my experience and Bruce Gray cautions, "and get some grease, dammit" in his signature line over on the Sig Forum.

Good enough for me...Rod

agtman said:
'Calcium based'? The low-temp grease tube says right on the label that it's 'petroleum oil.'
That's the problem. The most desirable Lubriplate products are calcium-based. If you do an Internet search for that Lubriplate part number, other providers show a different tube, and identify the product as calcium based.

https://www.motionindustries.com/productDetail.jsp?sku=00956124

https://www.applied.com/c-brands/c-lubriplate/l0172-092/Low-Temp-Multi-Purpose-Grease/p/102069659

If I want a petroleum grease, I'll just go to Autozone or Pep Boys.

Last edited:
Read up, all true greases have a metallic soap base, they are not just viscous oils.
A google indicates lithium may be slicker but calcium more water resistant.
My tube of Lubriplate's label includes fishing reels as an application.

Besides selling and repairing guns I did fishing reel repairs also. Living in Ohio Valley area the mills and mines provided free grease that ended up in guns & reels. I will say this I have never repaired a gun or reel that was suffering from being under greased. The opposite was true. Unless you are in foul weather constantly the worrying about grease is a waste of time. Keep your gun clean with thin coat of grease, very thin and your good to go. Read FM on Browning M2 50cal. How many shoot the rounds a M2 is subject to just in training? M16s
You put a thin coat of small arms lube and that's good enough.

While the appropriate Lubriplate (Lubrikit) has been excellent on the internals, has anyone tried wax for non-coated metallic exteriors? I got a tub of Renaissance Wax but I haven't tried it yet. The next time my SP101 is ready for a thorough cleaning, I might shine up the exterior.

Cosmo...Elk hunting in the Blue Mtn's along the Oregon/Washington border, & again in the high country NW of Colorado Springs, as well as for deer here in Kentucky, my boys and I have always stripped our rifles down to the bbl'd actions, then coated the barrels and wood/metal interfaces with Johnson's Paste Wax to prevent rust...it's worked for me and mine since '64. While fishing in Alaska with friends on the Kenai peninsula, I found they use the same treatment on their fishing/bear guns. HTH's Rod

There are many brands of grease from which to choose. I cannot discern difference among the brands I've used and still use.

My last grease was Wilson's. Enos's grease is supposed to be top shelf. I haven't used it, but I would in a New York second.

Back