Lubriplate Grease

johnbt,
Are you thinking about Door Eze? Haven't seen that for a long while, but I still have part of a tube in my tools box.

No, it wasn't Door Eze. Just a tube of white grease in a toothpaste-sized cardboard box.

"Why people continue to think that 70+ year old grease technology"

Well, the guns still work, so it must be adequate. I've never tried it on full auto weapons though. I have nearly all of the new lubes and they work too.

John

Some of the slickest stuff out there is Krytox, but since it was mostly made for aerospace applications, the Krytox greases and oils had very little moisture displacement or corrosion resistant properties.

If you're only counting lubricity - Krytox is probably the most lubricious substance out there.

If you're not worried about rust - like lets say you have a gun that has Robar Poly-T2 or NP3+ finish already... a tiny bit of a Krytox oil would be perfect.

Lubripalte Again

Since lubriplate used m1 Garands is still available, and I happen to have bunch - how good is it for use as a grease on today's firearms? I have also heard the Mobile One synthetic grease is also very good. Comments?

Supposedly the number 1 cause of returns made to Glock are caused by over-lubing.
I haven't heard that. I have seen it cause problems, but I don't think it's the #1 cause.
In the picture below, you can see that besides all the Lubriplate, the Glock still has the copper anti-seize lube on it also:
Yeah, that's pretty much a ridiculous amount of lube. And most of it isn't even on surfaces where it can do any good. The plastic top of the frame and the bottom of the slide rails don't even really touch anything, other than perhaps some incidental contact between the two near the muzzle in some Glocks. If you want to put that much grease on your gun, and in places where it can't even provide lubrication, it probably won't hurt anything as long as you clean the gun frequently to remove the grease and fouling buildup. But you could run it with much less lube without causing any wear, without making cleanup as onerous, without using up as much lube, and without getting splattered with excess lubricant while shooting.

A little light grease on the inner grooves in the slide where the steel frame rails run, and on the steel frame rails is a good practice. It doesn't take much and it probably prevents wear a little better than oil since it tends to stay in place. I don't see any benefits to lubing the top of the frame and the bottom of the slide.

I'm a big fan of lubricating places where the gun needs it--not so much on just putting lots of lube everywhere.

As far as what to use, the key is more what not to use. You don't want to use a heavy/sticky grease, especially if you plan to use the gun in cold weather.

Most of the places that need lube in a gun don't need some super-special-heavy-duty lubricant. Just about anything will work. Where you want to specialize your lubricant is in terms of corrosion protection--that's where a premium product can really pay dividends in a firearm.

In the 7 or so years since this thread came up, there have been a few new greases that seem to float up to the top of folks' favorites lists. The onliest new one I can think of though in recent discussion is Shell Aero something or other grease. I still just use Lucas Red-N-Tacky. It came free with the last grease gun I bought.

Has anyone used molybdenum disulfide. This is another grease where a little goes a long way and it's not heavy or tacky.

I have used it for a few years. I got it free and have a few tubes of it.

I stopped using grease years ago - just too many good oils available today. Grease is the best way I know of to screw up a gun when the weather is cold.

The "old" FP10 was my favorite, "new" FP10 seems too thin and doesn't stay put. I'm loving Weapon Shield now both for pistols and AR.

Depending on the gun, I'm using slick2000 grease, slide glide, or strike industries spray oil, I think it's called venom or something like that. All my guns like one or the other, all cycling fine.

They also make a low-temp Lubriplate grease - sku#/part# L0172-092. It's described as a 'petroleum oil' grease. Supposedly good down to something like -75 below.

Perfect for 'winter rifles' that will be subjected to 'Frozen Chosin' conditions. I have several winter rifles that I keep greased up with the low-temp stuff. These I like to shoot and run hard when the cold weather sets in - roughly being from deer season in November on through to Spring thaw. They're stored in the unheated garage or in the vehicle.

This includes an M1 but also a couple of centerfire bolt-guns and one rimfire, a very old (early '90s) All-Weather stainless Ruger 77/22 in the factory synthetic stock.

I can highly recommend the low-temp Lubriplate. One tube will last you a long time.

Phew, as a professional grease user I shudder.

Glock (no the adds lie) is very subject to stoppage if its over lubed as it attracts dirt, dust, sand and other forms of contamination into that very delicate strike mechanism.

General grease (like for the axles on a Prairie Schooner circa 1840 or so) gooes up your gun and makes it unreliable (of course maybe that is what the goal is)

They do have instruction on how to maintain your Glock and that is not included in them. What it does say is very little judicious application in specific areas of lube (I don't have a Glock so I forget what form the lube is - not grease I believe)

A hammer fired pistol is vastly more tolerant and not prone to that stoppage. A Glock that is kept in a clean environment will take a while to gum up. Axle grease will make it unreliable as its not intended for axle grease.

TWS 25 was designed specifically for gun application.

Low temperature and high temperature is a great attribute of synthetic lubes.

Instruction on that sort of thing are not just to make packing material in the case.

RC20- Shhh! Don't let the cat out of the bag! I don't know where folks got the idea that they need to grease where there's no zerks. But over-greasing got me a pretty good deal on a Sig P6 and a Sig P239. Both previous owners said they were horribly unreliable firearms (a ton of grease in there).

I understand, folks want the best, and I think us Americans are natural born tinkerers (as in can't leave well enough alone). But what I find curious is the need to automatically assume ANY and EVERY new and used firearm needs "parts thrown at it", "high customization", "every single part available as a spare part", "this weeks greatest lube that is by far better than last weeks greatest lube", and "will this firearm be ok with whatever comes after ++P++?" I suspect that if people expected of their motor vehicles what they expect of their firearms- there'd be a powerful lot of walking getting done. I use grease on my Garand and M1A, and assume the manufacturers owners manuals know what they're talking about. I know, I probably hurt some internet warriors feelings- but they'll probably live longer than me anyhow, so they ought to have plenty of time to get over it. Lol

The issue with those Lubriplate products that Grant Cunningham had recommended was that they tended to come in very large quantities. A company called Lubrikit offers them in more reasonable sizes. I've used their basic package, but I've noticed that I use up the oil much faster than I use up the grease. I also ended up purchasing a separate needle-tip container for dispensing the oil.

As far as the actual grease and oil, I have no complaints. I've been using them for over a year now and they work as well as advertised. I've also been using the oil on pocket knives. Whether bearings or washers, it seems to be "just right" for that too. Knowing that these are non-toxic offers a little piece of mind on equipment that rides up against my body all day every day.

My dad worked in power plant. They bought Lubraplate in drums. They had 3 different weights. Dad was believer in it and used it in his shotguns. He shot trap and was a bird Hunter so he fired a lot of shells. Worked for him. He carried 3M tape tin with Lubraplate and soft cloth. If it started raining or snowing he would wipe down his gun in the field with it. I use grease sparingly. To much is a dirt catcher.

I use Lubriplate Aero white lithium grease. Is resembles and performs (for me) like the little tube of grease SIG used to include with their guns. Note: this is a thread from 2011. :rolleyes:

Back