Lubriplate Grease

What do you plan to use it on? A revolversmith named Grant Cunningham has a website and blog with great information on using different types of Lubriplate. Check it out.

I use the Lubriplate that Brownells sells, the one that was developed for the M1 Garand. It's number 130-A, and I don't even see it listed on the Lubriplate web site you gave a link to.

Why not just Moly-Lithium grease, like the kind thats for car axels and comes in a huge tube for $4. I use it on my Beretta 92.

Gents, remeber it not what you used but...

HOW MUCH!

Too much is WORSE than too little.

Small drop on clean finger and rub on part surface is just about right.

Have use the Lubriplate and white lithium grease, now considering the "Super lube" teflon grease. Any comments?

I use SFL-0

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460140&highlight=lubriplate

attachment.php

I am pretty happy with it. My Glock cycles more smoothly and quietly with the SFL-0 than anything else I've used - CLP, Tri-Flon, Mobile 1, and GP Packing Grease.

I decided to try it because of an article Grant Cunningham wrote.

(*_*) said:
Why not just Moly-Lithium grease, like the kind thats for car axels and comes in a huge tube for $4. I use it on my Beretta 92.

I agree with parentheses, asterisk, underscore, asterisk, parentheses. I use bearing grease on my Garand, AR and semi-auto pistols. I suppose if I didn't clean them often, or was in some harsh environment, I might use something more technologically advanced, but for general purpose it works fine.

Upon further research, I discovered that #105 is the Lubriplate that Apex recommends http://www.apextactical.com/blog/ind.../#comment-9827. It's also the one that Brownells sells. Guess I'll go gets some. I have a Sig 226 and Apex recommends it for all Sig metal guns. They also recommend Shooters Choice. Good thing about shooters choice is it comes in a syringe for non messy application.

Guess I answered my own question.

I got a new Sig a while back. this is what they are now using (ships with the gun). I think its probably the most excellent all purpose lubricant you can buy, you don't use much.

http://www.mil-comm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=72

I do use generic packing grease sometimes - Walmart Super Tech Extreme Pressure Multi-Duty Complex Hi-Temp grease. It is under $6.00 taxes included:

attachment.php

The article from Grant Cunningham made me want to try the Lubriplate SFL:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

The GP packing grease works fine, the only thing I notice is that if I go a few days not dry-firing my Glock, the first time I try to push the slide back - it kind of sticks and I attribute that to the thicker NLGI #2 packing grease getting a little tacky. I don't experience that with the SFL-0 which is NLGI #0 - a thinner grease, it may be just because it's a thinner grease, not because it's Aluminum based.

Haven't tried this one yet but let us know if its good. :)

In my pistols and rifles I use very small amounts of Ballistol and/or bike chain lube that has teflon in it.

Over-lubing is easily done and usually a recipe for trouble...

Supposedly the number 1 cause of returns made to Glock are caused by over-lubing.

I have no way to confirm that, and I could just be propogating an urban myth but I have read where at least 2 people claiming to be Glock Armorers have written this.

On the other hand, I have totally gooped grease on my Glocks and they fire just fine, at least for 200 or 300 rounds.

I mean so much grease that it actually splattered on my shooting hand when I pulled the trigger.

I'm not advocating over-lubing, and I can see how gunk in the striker channel could lead to light strikes. But I'm just saying I've fired my Glocks dry, I've fired them dripping oil, I've fired them practically packed in grease and they still fire.

In the picture below, you can see that besides all the Lubriplate, the Glock still has the copper anti-seize lube on it also:

attachment.php

Aguila Blanca said:
Brownells does sell #105, but it is not "the one" that Brownells sells. They also sell #130-A, which is the one I use.

Just curious why you think #105 is any less qualified for lubing guns than 130-A since Brownells lists both of them under the category of gun cleaning oils and lubricants. Unless #130 is that much better than #105 it seems like there may be a little bit of a trade off considering #105 is cheaper and easier to apply since it comes in a tube instead of a can. Even in a small tube, it appears that the #105 tube would be enough to last for years. The #!30-A appears to be a lifetime supply.

Last edited:
GregInAtl said:
Just curious why you think #105 is any less qualified for lubing guns than 130-A since Brownells lists both of them under the category of gun cleaning oils and lubricants.
I didn't say #105 is "less qualified," I said it isn't the only Lubriplate product Brownells sells. I don't know anything about #105. I have a can of the 130-A that I've had for many years and, at the rate it's disappearing, it'll keep me and any great-grandchildren I might have going at least until the next millenium. It works very well so I have no incentive to try a different formulation.

Last edited:
But I'm just saying I've fired my Glocks dry,

Glocks and AKs are justifiably famous for being able to take all kinds of rough treatment that other guns frequently won't tolerate.

But I've heard the same stories about over-lubing from several gunsmiths I know. They all say, more is definitely not better. (Caveat - my guns are all either stock or very lightly modified. Heavily modified guns may require extra special attention / lube / love).

http://www.lubriplate.com/webstore/detail.aspx?ID=9

130n greases are Lubriplate's Calcium-Based Greases, it is a beige grease which has a Zink Oxide and Calcium Hygroxide base. They sell 130-AA which is NGLI 1 in tubes:

http://www.lubriplate.com/webstore/detail.aspx?ID=9

Lubriplate 130-AA is alos an excellent rifle grease.

As far as I know - this is the only verbiage Lubriplate has concerning firearms for any of their products. As far as I know, they don't market their products as gun lubes, but that doesn't mean they aren't good products. I like SFL-0 a lot.

But anyway, 105 is also a calcium based grease, NGLI 0. I don't know what the formulation difference between 130 and 105 is. Lubriplate 105 is marketed as an anti-seize grease used to coat all moving parts of an engine during rebuilding. The 105 grease will disolve into motor oil after start up with no negative effects.

We just used whatever the auto parts store sold in a tube for car door hinges and hood latches. But that was in the '50s and '60s, so who knows what kind of white grease it really was. You know, I might just have a tube in one of father's tool boxes. If I can remember to dig for it. :)

Why people continue to think that 70+ year old grease technology is the ne plus ultra for their guns is beyond me. It will not last as long, nor will it lubricate 1/2 as well as the cheapest synthetics on the market today.

Back