Lower Velocity 41 Magnum Jacket Loads

You are right but then part of my entertainment is finding what works in another bullet.

I am shooting 4 different pistols so the 41 is maybe 24 rounds a trip but it does add up fast.

Almost certainly will go lead. Shooting that in the 45 LC conversion cylinder on the 47 Walker. I don't have a decent sitting/bench situation at the range and my back does not like doing BP loading there (a few ok but that limits things). 45 LC is a way to shoot the 47 walker I can load at home. Working on some spare cylinders to be able to load up more BP at home.

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

RC20 said:
Not familiar with 41 special so will look into it…

41 Special is an example of retrofitting history, sort of.

The 357 and 44 Magnums were developments made by loading up 38 Special and 44 Special to magnum velocities in heavy frame revolvers that could withstand the pressure. The commercial loads were made using slightly longer (0.135" and 0.125" longer, respectively) cases, not because more powder capacity was needed (the performance had already been worked up to in Special cases), but because incautious people would put such hot-loaded Specials into guns that couldn't take the pressure and blowups and injuries would happen. So they lengthened the cases to make sure the hot loads couldn't fit in Special chambers.

The 41 Magnum, of course, had no 41 Special predecessor to load up. It was a from-scratch magnum. You don't generally see mild commercial loads in 41 Magnum for the same reason you don't see mild commercial loads for 357 and 44 Magnum. People are expected to buy 38 Special and 44 Special when they want milder commercial loads to shoot in their magnum revolvers. It seems the same attitude has dominated handloading data, though you can find examples of mild loads in the 357 and 44 Magnum cases.

The 41 Special is unique in that it is a post-Magnum wildcat developed to fix the 41 Magnum's development history retroactively. Except for custom guns, there are no 41 Special guns available to buy, but as with the 'Specials fired in magnum revolvers, the shorter case and different headstamp is a good way to keep your mild loads sorted from magnum loads.

I see some online articles and information on the Special, but loaded hot. It can be so loaded safely because all the guns that it chambers in are magnum revolvers.

The case capacity being an accuracy issue is conflicted. Yes, better case fill reduces velocity variation, and the slower the powder, the more advantage good case fill will give you because slower powders are intrinsically more case position-sensitive. A quick powder, on the other hand, burns so fast the bullet can't move much before the pressure peaks, and that means small time differences in ignition due to case position have less overall effect on the pressure curve they produce.

On the other hand, having a big jump to the throat of a revolver allows more gas bypass and, with lead bullets, this will do more base gas cutting that can unbalance bullets and will splatter metal fouling near the mouths of the chamber throats, which can lead to accuracy drop-off. When I shot my Dan Wesson 357 in bull's-eye matches, I always loaded magnum cases with wadcutters and a taper crimp to avoid the fouling issue. Yes, you may need another couple of tenths of a grain of powder to get the velocity you want, and, again, it is best to use a quick powder like Clays or N310 to limit the effects of position sensitivity.

The bottom line, like so much in shooting, is that you will have to try loading both case lengths with your powders and your bullets to learn which one does better on paper.

IME, generally, jacketed bullets care less about case length, matching throat diameters, and perfect cylinder timing than lead does. All those things upset lead, but copper jackets are tougher and can handle a little course correction without distorting like lead does.

I tried out Unique with a 210-grain Sierra JHP in GRT, allowing a 0.006" barrel/cylinder gap. It suggested that 3.9 grains was the lowest load that would not stick a bullet. Take that with a grain of salt. 5.6 grains produced target pressure (about 12,500 psi and almost 800 fps from a 4⅝" revolver barrel). If I switched to the 41 Special case length by seating the bullet 0.125" deeper, I needed to take 0.6 grains (about 10%) off the charge weight to get the same velocity. The peak pressure increased by about 1,000 psi. The loading density went from about 44% to about 51%. Higher peak pressure from lower loading density is another advantage in getting slower powders to burn well, but with quick ones gets hard to see.

Wow. As usual a lot of information. Thank you.

I did clean the Model 57 and it was pretty clean. I thought I would have more crud buildup.

I am curious about the Rosewood grips. I got them on another Model N gun and they wound up on the Model 57.

Were those a S&W option to buy after , factory offering or both?

Going over the notes, Unique was most accurate but AL-8 and HS-6 were clean shooting. Going to advance those to 850=1000 fps and see how they do with more velocity.

Unique has also been more accurate in the 45 LC Conversion cylinder though the sights on that gun are not great.

Last edited:
RC20 you might consider a subscription to www.loaddata.com. Loads therein are mostly from the pages of Rifle and Handloader magazine, but also from manuals such as Speer, Lee, Lyman, et al.

I searched .41 Magnum there and filtered Bullseye powder and it appears that 5.0-6.0 will give you the velocities you seek. I didn't take time to read all the posts here so it may have been discussed, but I'm pretty sure the bugaboo with the .41 and low velocity jacketed bullets are in regard to the old Speer jacketed SWC's. At low velocities, these are prone to the jacket sticking in the bore while the lead core continues on to the target. It really does happen as it happened to me very recently!

I've been a handloader since I was a teenager but the .41 Magnum is really new to me. Despite being an ardent handgun hunter for a few years now, I did not own a .41 Magnum until just a few months ago and now I own two with a custom build in the works. As to the usefulness of the cartridge itself, contrary to popular belief by some .41 owners, there is no voodoo or pixie dust involved with said cartridge. It's loaded to the same chamber pressure as the .357 and .44 Magnums. As such, it's a little more powerful than the .357, and a little less than the .44. I really like the .41 as it seems to shoot flatter than my .44's and .45's due to less muzzle rise. I shoot mostly bullets in the 210 - 225 gr. weight range that I cast myself. In an effort to save what remains of my hearing I have deliberately kept most of my loads subsonic, in the 1100 fps range. (I recently discovered Walker Game Ears so I'm working on heavier loads now)

On one of my evening walks a few weeks ago, I poked a boar that was 50-60 yds. out. He would trot a ways, stop behind a tree or bush, I'd almost get back in handgun range, and off he'd go again until he got down into a nearby tangled creek bottom where I lost him. I'm sure he died shortly thereafter, but I have since wondered if this would've turned out different had I been using one of my larger caliber revolvers (I normally carry a .44 Special with 260 gr. SWC's)

Anyhow, circling back around, I would save that Unique and use Bullseye.

Enjoy that .41!!

I appreciate all the ideas. I have so much Unique that I could not shoot it up in the rest of my life.

I can't remember my timelines on getting the 41, I started out with a Ruger Blackahwk (first transfer bar). Good gun but the transfer bar was a bit off and you had to deliverte keep pulling the trigger after it released the hammer. Yea I should have got it fixed, I sold it.

I then bought a N Frame 44 magnum. Great gun, but a guy had a 41 magnum and something about it grabbed me (it had the Rosewood grips on it). So I bought that.

I shot it on my one day off when I was working construction. Loaded up after work during the week and shot up 50 rounds in a gravel pit (those were the days).

Some years latter it got stolen. My brother replaced it as a thank you for the winters work on his house (I continued to shoot the first one, no idea how many rounds. I was into full on loads, pushed it to the limits until it started to loose accuracy and backed powder down until it was good.

The replacement I did not shoot nearly as much. Life got in the way, fishing, hunting and you could not shoot in gravel pits anymore.

Then the eyes went wonky for sights, I really hated that. I was a pistol shooter for fun, rifles only for hunting.

With the Eyepal I can see well enough to shoot a couple inch groups at 25 yards (rested). The BP revolvers are better, partly the sights on the Ruger are better and the 47 Walker is a long gun (real hoot)

The 41 magnum is fun with the lower loads. I had some full loads from the last reloading and they are snappy (ok standing but sure not rested).

Pretty much a new gun other than a bit of wear on the muzzle from the carrying I did. Shotgun would have been better for bears but carrying a fishing rod and tackle and the gun did not mix well.

I am watching one in Gunbrokers, case, tools, pristine and Rosewood grips. I can't justify it, but man that is a nice gun. 1980 I believe so the old pinned barrel.

Reality was a 41 or a 357 is as good as a 44 for carrying in the woods. Bear Spray is by far the best bet. The 41 had just a bit less pop than the 44 and I liked that as I was more into control and shot placement than boom.

I got another round of testing in Friday. 7.0 grains of Unique got me 840 fps average over 6 shots though the spread was high. Still got 2 inch group.

6.5 gr Unique got me 786 average with 78 spread and a 2 1/2 in x 5 and a wild one at 4 inches.

No issues with jacket shedding but I am keep an eye on that.

Back