Love/Hate My Marlin 60 .22 -- What to do?

Is the polymer stock the only reason you don't like the Marlin? Dude, so long as it shoots well, you should keep it. A Marlin I have is a 2 inches at 50 yards rifle with even standard velocity target ammo. IMO, that's not good especially for a rifle with microgroove rifling that's advertised as increasing accuracy.

If 75 bucks is all you'll get for it, keep the Marlin and if you really must have a .22 with a wood stock, wait for Black Friday when basic 10/22's are $179.

Is the polymer stock the only reason you don't like the Marlin? Dude, so long as it shoots well, you should keep it. A Marlin I have is a 2 inches at 50 yards rifle with even standard velocity target ammo. IMO, that's not good especially for a rifle with microgroove rifling that's advertised as increasing accuracy.

If 75 bucks is all you'll get for it, keep the Marlin and if you really must have a .22 with a wood stock, wait for Black Friday when basic 10/22's are $179.
No, if you look at the first post, my change has to do with my desire to not have a tube magazine.

I like the fact you keep going to the gun store to check 'em out. I'm thinking you buy the used 10/22 with the scope.

Welp, I went with the used one @$279. It's in minty condition. I ALMOST went with the target, almost, but this will do just fine.

Thanks for all the thoughts/help, it's appreciated.

vaaccess, I'm sorry I was too late to join in. I would have also suggested the Marlin 795; It's the same gun as the 60, microgrooves and all. I have a 60, but, like you, prefer magazine loading to the tube. Mine was $120 on sale at Dicks a couple of years ago. Slap a sling and a 4X32 fixed scope on a 795 and it will shoot and balance better than any 10/22 without mods. Yes, I have several versions of the 10/22, but for plinking or killing packrats, the 795 always gets picked up first.

There are instructions for smoothing out the 795 trigger, and drop in replacements available; doing a trigger mod was my only change to the 795.

I have a 60, but, like you, prefer magazine loading to the tube. Mine was $120 on sale at Dicks a couple of years ago.

I assume you mean a "box" magazine as opposed to a tube magazine. I sure hope that no self-respecting Second Amendment proponent is ever shopping at Dicks anymore.

No, if you look at the first post, my change has to do with my desire to not have a tube magazine.
Sorry, the language wasn't clear at the time. Okay, understandable, but I still think you should keep the Marlin. If it's detachable magazines you want, go with the 10/22 platform.

Was curious if the scope was still on-target. Seems to be pretty good! First 10 shots from about 40 yards...

qryvl1.jpg

Last edited:
Hated my old model 60, sold it, bought a 10/22. Love it, fsr better gun with tons of aftermarket support if you want to tweek it to your liking.

I have several tube feed 22s. They require developing different habits to load and unload to ensure they are clear, but I have found developing good habits worth the effort.

Look at some pawn shops for a used 22. Don't be afraid to low ball them. When they sell it they won't lose any money.

I do not feel so bad unloading my tube fed 9422M since I can open the lever and pull the tube for loading and unloading. But a semi-auto, no thanks. The Ruger's rotary magazine is a godsend for that purpose.

My Marlin 22 semi-auto has a magazine.

Then a magazine that sticks in from the bottom that some people might mistakenly refer to as a clip. So you do not have to aim the rifle at your head to load and unload it.

3C

Last edited:
use hollow arrow shafts for loading. Or some other tube that will fit .22s.

Much easier to fill than a conventional magazine, then just slider the ammo out of the tube into the M 60s tube magazine. Reverse the process when you want to un load the gun. Easy peezy.

Back