Love/Hate My Marlin 60 .22 -- What to do?

Typically 22s aren't worn out when traded-in. {Just needing a new appreciative owner.}_ I happen to own a Marlin 22 mag bolt clip fed. Bought it used near the 3/4 mark of the last century. Solid tank like 22 made of Michigan or Minnesota iron ore. Quite unlike today's plasticize everything if doable and barrels likely made from Chinese pig iron. Instead of buying new. Consider keeping a eye on those used gun racks. Every now & then a dandy will catch your attention. All that's required of you? Being at the right place at the right time with wallet in hand.
Yeah, I've only purchased Used so far. Seems like the best bang for the buck.

Appreciate all the input. I'll probably swap out the Marlin 60 vs going with another caliber. Probably will get a bolt action this time around since they are typically built like a tank!

Just Saying !!??

Love/Hate My Marlin 60 .22 -- What to do?
With all due respect, the choices should not be all that confusing. Your Marlin-60 is a very serviceable rifle and you say you enjoy shooting it. The 60, is what it is and if you flip it, you won't get much for it. You could partially load the tube then load one or two dummy two dummy rounds and finally install a visible stop flag blocking the action. ..... ;)

Then I read that you might prefer a mag fed semi-auto. As mentioned already, the 10/22 would be an excellent choice. I'd have my loaded mag handy and you can still install the stop-flag/block. Last week, we had a chain-store add, listing new 10/22 for $179.00. That is really cheap for a new one. Also, I certainly would not exclude the Savage MK-II.... :)

So what are everyone's thoughts on a .17-caliber and having that be the go-to gun for this use?
You don't want another rifle but now you are looking at a new caliber that you "might" not need. .... :confused:

.22 mag for woodchucks in the back yard because the .22 LR is a bit weak for body shots as they're laying in the grass.
I have easily taken Whistle-Pigs at 50 yards, in the field and used .22-Shorts in my back lot. About the only time I use my .22-Mag is when I hunt one of my spots that is loaded with Coyotes. ..... ;)

You call and;
Be Safe !!!!

You asked about 17hmr, its an awesome little caliber. Make sure you research prices where you will actually be buying it. Its still cheaper than a lot if center fire cartridges but considerably more expensive than .22lr

Another affordable bolt gun is the Mossberg 802. My fiancee has one(pink stock and all) and a handy little rifle. Light weight, solid accuracy and the mags are sturdy and reliable.

And while I appreciate the thoughts on keeping cartridges in the tube magazine, and how that could be safe, I just don't like it.

Another vote for doing what you feel comfortable with. And someday it might not be you opening the safe.

Many, many years ago my first .22LR rifle was a Marlin, plain Jane, "Glenfield" model 60. I topped it with a then state of the art Weaver 3x - 6x "V22" scope. The combo was supremely accurate with the original Winchester "Dynapoint", semi-hollow point ammo. I spent many hours in the woods and fields of north Louisiana with it and my feist dog, Rufus.

As to the question of whether something else would be better for you... If, you have reservations about your M-60, then the answer is definitely, "Perhaps." ;)

All I can say is, in a still unforgotten incident, my little brother unfortunately separated me from my M-60. The Remington 541-S that I replaced it with was never the Marlin's equal.

Last edited:
The Marlin model 60, and it's variants, is one of the most successful rimfire series in America. There is probably only one other front-runner that rivals it, which is, of course, the Ruger 10-22. I've had both.
The easiest answer to the original question, is to simply live with the model 60 and be happy about it. The next viable idea, is to replace it with either the Marlin 795 or the Ruger 10-22, which you could literally do today before the sun goes down.
If you were me, you simply would not abide with a plastic stock. In that case, Since the Marlin is preferred, you would look far and wide for an older, wood-stocked, clip-fed version. Perhaps something like this: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/764439094
The idea of replacing a 22LR with a 17 rimfire is not good. They are just completely different. It's fine to add a 17HMR to what you have, but it can never replace the 22LR until the ammo is priced the same. And when do you think that will happen? Sure, the 17 will do some things well that the 22 can't. But the 22 will do everything you need until it's time for a centerfire.

I have a Mossberg 817 bolt action. It is a good shooter.

I also have a Mossberg 144LS. It's been in the family for a long time.

Get a Ruger 1022. An opinion it is, but the Ruger is a much better rifle than the Marlin 60. Much more reliable, has replaceable magazines of all sorts, tons of mods and accessories.

J

Also have both models, and while I like the Marlin 60, I prefer tubies, in general.
For a little more than the base 10/22, you can get a 10/22 Take Down, easier to clean,
carry, and with a nice ballistic nylon case, for @325$. They also have a model with a very attractive Mannlicher-style stock.

If you're not going to carry it a lot, the Ruger 10-22T bull-barrel rifle is really a steady platform to shoot critters and plink. They tend to have more accurate barrels than the sporters, if you're looking for better than 1" groups at 25 yards.

I've tuned some that easily grouped 1/2" at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity ammo.

BTW: I've hunted woodchucks with many different kinds of cartridges, including .22LR, .22 Mag, .223, .22-250, .243, and .30-06. They're quite tough and tend to get into their burrows when hit with less than perfect shots from any cartridge, but more so with .22LR. I don't like to have anything I shoot get away to suffer an agonizing death, so tend to use centerfires with varmint bullets, even at relatively short distances.

Last edited:
The .17 sounds perfect for your needs. Probably dispatched a couple hundred or so coons/possums. Does a much better job than the .22. Nothing walks. Never saw an exit wound. Mine (Savage) was around $200. I've cloverleafed at 100 yds.

My 22s in the order I got them (I think I have all variations covered other than single shot):
Marlin 25MN with 7 round magazine
Marlin 60 with tube magazine
Henry lever action with tube magazine
Mossberg Blaze 47 with 25 round magazine

The one I shoot most often and enjoy the most is the Mossberg Blaze 47 as it holds more ammo and it the lightest. All of them have been 100% reliable and are more accurate than I am.

So I spent some time looking at/holding/reading about the 10/22. Obviously a nice gun...

However, I'm not sure which one to get and whether to buy new or not. For instance, in a local store I found a 19" variant (I think it was the Carbine) with wood stock, original magazine and a 25-capacity magazine, also mounted with a Nikon Prostaff scope for $279. It looked to be in great shape.

Another store also had the Sporter 22" stainless new for $329, $299 for the standard 22" barrel. I already have a Bushnell Banner scope that I've used on the Marlin and think it's good.

Question is...is there a real benefit of the 22" vs 19"? From what I've read, it'll have more speed out of the barrel, but not really any more accurate.

The only advantage would be speed but since it's 22 I don't know the formula per inch. Might only be 25-50 fps faster. When shooting things in a 22's range that's probably a fraction of a fraction of a fraction faster.

Get what feels comfortable to you. I have no problem with short or long barrels.

Not really, as far as the barrel length.

Question is...is there a real benefit of the 22" vs 19"? From what I've read, it'll have more speed out of the barrel, but not really any more accurate.
Other than the sight radius, there is no advantage. in fact, not even optimum by some data. ...... ;)
Given these two options, I'd go with the 19"

Be Safe !!!

The barrel length should not matter. Other than the shorter one might be slightly more easy to maneuver with. Although the three inches shouldn't make much difference in handling either.
I have 10/22 Stainless Takedown with the 18 1/2 inch barrel. Very convenient, and accurate rifle. With a Simmons 22 MAG 3-9 scope, using CCI standard velocity (the most accurate in my rifle), from a bench @ 50 yds. I can put ten rounds in a hole that can be covered with my thumb nail.

Other than the sight radius, there is no advantage. in fact, not even optimum by some data. ...... ;)
Given these two options, I'd go with the 19"

Be Safe !!!
Appreciate the answers about barrel length. Did find more resources, too. Fascinating! It seems as though 16-18" is a good sweet spot for .22LR.

I learned to shoot on a Marlin 60. I didn't care for the tubular magazine, but it was not enough of an issue for me to want to get rid of it.

My son bought a Marlin XT-22 bolt action, magazine fed rifle a year or so ago. It has been a very good rifle for him.

My other son has a Remington 597 semi-automatic, magazine fed rifle that has served him well for more than a dozen years.

The Ruger 10/22 has been a perennial favorite ever since it was released.

You could sell your Model 60 and use the proceeds to buy any of the rifles I mentioned, above and I'm sure you would have something that you would enjoy.

Welp...I went back to the gun store again, looking at new and used options. Holding lots of guns, over and over, and found myself drawn to the following:

Used Ruger Target $400
New Marlin 795 $180
New Ruger 10/22 Carbine/Blue 18.5" $260
Used Ruger 10/22 w/extra magazines and Nikon scope $279
Used Sig Sauer 522 $350
Used Ruger Precision with really nice scope $350 (this is a bolt action, rest are semi)

The Ruger Target felt the best, hands down. And it's pretty. That said, I had originally told myself I wouldn't go crazy, but it's so easy to be tempted by so many options!

For what it's worth, if I sold the scope that I have I should get ~$50 on eBay and the Marlin 60 should yield me ~$75 at the store I bought it from originally.

As I said, all of these felt nice and each is unique for sure. I'm about to endeavor on reading up on these to see what others things about firing them, etc, etc, etc. Something I can't do whilst shopping in the store. ;)

My favorite version of the model 60 is the Marlin model 99M1, but I would love to have the clip-fed, model 99M2. These are look-alikes inspired by the M1 Carbine. For the type of gun, these things have excellent 4-pound triggers, much better than the Ruger 10-22, and they are more accurate than the typical ruger 10-22. I have shot my friends new model 60 with a last-shot-bolt-open feature and it had a very squishy trigger and I was kind of wondering if it was due to the last-shot upgrade. If Marlin was to offer the 795 in a decent Walnut stock, I would most likely buy one. Better yet, they should just re-issue the 99M2.

Back