Love at first grip...

This'll go over big but mine was a Taurus PT1911, just felt right. Gun ended up with an out of spec barrel and the right side ambi safety fell off all the time, but that gun sure felt good at the LGS. Gun's GTG now, BTW, with after-market barrel and single safety.

- S&W K and L Frame revolvers (depending on the grips installed)
- 1911s with an arched mainspring housing
- CZ-75

Very similar in feel to the CZ-75 is the Browning Hi Power. For me those 2 are a toss up.

In chronological order:
  • Browning Challenger III.
  • CZ 75 Compact (because I picked up and shot a CZ 75 B; rubber magazine base plates on the Compact recreated the grip I had experienced on the full-size 75 B).
  • CZ 83 (which I liked enough to get a CZ 82 and a second 83; the 83s wear rubber mag base plates).

Though I don't own one, I handled one at my local LGS and the Bersa Thunder 9UC fit my hand like a glove.

Someday I hope to own one, but living in Maryland I can't stomach the thought of having to pay the state for a license in order to avail myself of a Constitutional right.

That right came with my citizenship in America and bears no price tag.

But Maryland violates this.

Rmocarsky

I feel very fortunate that most semi-auto pistols feel just terrific in my hands right from the start... and perhaps even MORE fortunate that I haven't ever found it all too difficult to adapt to the few that don't.

No Glock has ever felt very good in my hands, but I am extremely satisfied with my ability with the one Glock I do own, my everyday carry.

Another example? Just picked up another S&W (cause I just love them) and it is the 2nd Gen 659. It has the reputation of feeling like a no-ergos brick in your hand and that's about how it felt when I first picked it up last week. But in 200 flawless rounds through it yesterday-- I love it! And I shot it very well & can't wait to shoot it again.

Most pistols feel great in my hands. Single action revolvers and almost any genuine S&W OEM double action stocks do not feel much good at all. That's a little annoying because I live and die with my favorite S&W revolvers. :p

1. The 1911. Best with an arched msh and GI grip safety. Just fit my hand first and last time I picked one up and will the next.

2. BHP, just a pleasure to hold, balance and shoot.

3. K frame S&W revolver. Of course the stocks on it make a difference. Magna stocks and Tyler T grips make most right. Perfect in 38 or light .357. Hard not to shoot them well.

Honorable mention: Walther PPK and PP, Ruger Mark I-III, Colt Single Action Army and Ruger Blackhawks, S&W N frames, CZ 75, S&W M&P

tipoc

Another vote for the BHP. Also another vote for the Astra A60. It's like day and night compared to a single stack Constable. Am I right YoungGun? ;)

Honorable mention to the CZ 75 PCR and Beretta 85. And to the newcomer Grand Power lineup.

But the Colt SAA 4.75" and S&W 1917 with 4" Indy barrel are in a class all their own. Just holding these revolvers makes the world seem aright.

The pistol that just blew my mind at how well it fit my hand was the Armalite AR-24. This was a CZ-75 clone with a smaller grip size. I owned one for a few months and simply had to part with it since it did not have upgrade parts available to tune it to my needs.

Armalite no longer imports these beauties, but I wish that somebody would and make the parts for tuning as well.

Pretty much the entire CZ-75 line did this to me from the moment I first picked up a 75B at Academy Sports years ago. That grip layout is made for my hand. My CZ PCR Compact felt great, and I think my CZ-75 Compact feels even better. I've shot nice 1911's, Sig's, HK's, BHP, but the CZ feels the best in the hand for me.

However, my CZ SP-01 is the BEST feeling handgun I've ever picked up, and points like the hand of God!

This discussion confirms my theory that everyone has their own tastes in grip, use and feel of a pistol, so it was the one they bought and and continue to show and brag about. It really is "different bites for different likes!" My Beretta preference does not impress Glock likes, and vice-versa. It's what you purchased or received from your dad that make the make and model special.

Back