Looking to buy my first HD shotgun

Gaseousclay, you can get a semi-auto for the same price as a pump. If you have ever rapid fired a 12 gauge semi-auto from the hip, (or ever have a HD need to rapid fire one), you can spit out five shells in less time than you can rapidly count to five. The same cannot be said for a pump. Also you can short stroke a pump in a HD emergency situation and that could cost your life. That won't happen with a semi-auto.

I would recommend you to a Remington model 11, 12 gauge, semi-auto. It is a clone of the Browning auto five. You can buy one for less than $150.00 if you shop a bit on GB. I have two I bought off GB. One I got for $151.99 with a full choke 30 inch barrel and the other for $140.00 with a 23 inch barrel with Cutts compensator with a full choke, modified choke, and spreader choke tubes that screw into the Cutts comp. I plan to cut the barrel down even further and reinstall the Cutts comp. That way it has a short barrel for HD that being cut is chamber bore, but....with the Cutts comp removable different chokes on it, it now is choked again and I can select from full choke, modified choke, and the spreader tube. So even though it will have a very short barrel for HD, I can still also use it for hunting since it will be rechoked again with the re-installation of the Cutts comp. You can do this with any adjustable choke too, it doesn't just have to be the Cutts comp choke.

You can easily cut down a long barrel and either reinstall the front sight bead, or if it's just going to be for HD, leave the bead off. You don't need it for close up. Cutting the barrel will remove any choke the barrel has and make it chamber bore. Which will give you more spread,...which is good for HD.

Or you can cut the barrel down and reinstall the adjustable choke (if it comes with one). Then you have a short barrel for HD, and since you put the adjustable choke back on it, it can also reach out and shoot skeet, birds or whatever. So then you have a short barrel, very handy to move around in tight quarters, HD shotgun, while not sacrificing its range and ability to use for hunting. The best of both situations.

The nice thing about the Remington model 11, is not only the price, but chiefly that they were made from 1911 to 1947 and they are all steel and wood. No plastic, no cast parts, no picatinny rails nor bells and whistles, just all machined steel made with old school hand fitted quality. They truly are "sleepers" (and undeservedly often ignored by todays shooter's shopping), in that in this age of "tacticool" plastic stocks and plastic trigger guards, cast parts, low quality, these old Remington model 11's are quality semi-auto shotguns that you can get for less than a used Mossberg Maverick, low end pump. You absolutely can't go wrong on the quality and price.

I was telling my cousin about my Remy 11's, and he went to a pawn shop this week and picked him up a nice 12 gauge one for $200.00 total out the door, and loves it for all the reasons I stated. He showed it to me yesterday evening and thanked me profusely for steering him into getting one.

For $150.00 or even less, for a old school quality, semi-auto, you just can't beat nor go wrong with a Remington model 11. Trust me on this. Once you get one you'll like it so much you will be shopping for another one. I did, and now I'm shopping for my third one. If you get one, just make sure you understand how to set the friction rings adjustment for heavy or lighter loads, so that you won't batter the bolt and firing pin nor split the fore end from improper setting of the friction rings. It's easy and a breeze to set them for whatever load you are going to shoot. But you'd be surprised how many people neglect to do that and that is the chief reason Remy 11's and Browning auto fives have splits in the bottom of their wooden fore ends. Easily avoidable if you know how to set the friction rings for your load.

Last edited:
@ Bill Akins, thanks for the suggestion on the semi-auto. However, I was watching an HD shotgun training video yesterday on youtube and the instructor recommended a pump over a semi-auto because a semi-auto is more likely to malfunction. A pump can be cycled pretty quickly so i'm not concerned about not being able to make a follow up shot in a stressful situation. Besides, the Mossberg has a rock solid reputation for being a reliable HD shotgun

Gaseousclay wrote:
@ Bill Akins, thanks for the suggestion on the semi-auto. However, I was watching an HD shotgun training video yesterday on youtube and the instructor recommended a pump over a semi-auto because a semi-auto is more likely to malfunction. A pump can be cycled pretty quickly so i'm not concerned about not being able to make a follow up shot in a stressful situation. Besides, the Mossberg has a rock solid reputation for being a reliable HD shotgun

If there is nothing wrong with your semi-auto, it should always function as long as you keep shells of the same loads in it for the tension you have on the friction rings of the Remy model 11. You might want to reconsider being able to make a quick followup shot with a pump in a stressful situation. Because with your adrenaline flowing, and in the split second chaos of pumping your pump action shotgun, it is VERY EASY and entirely possible to "short stroke" (not pull the pump action all the way back) so that although you've pumped rearward and frontwards, in your excitement and stressful hurry, you "short stroked" the action and didn't chamber a shell. Understand what I mean?

Plus a semi-auto can be fired MUCH faster than a pump. Up to you, just offering my experience and suggestions.

Well as a gunsmith I see the "sick guns" people bring in to me for repair.

Years ago I use to have to repair the connection of the bars to the pump ring on Mossburg 500s, but I have not had to do that now in over 20 years.

Winchester 1200 and 1300 shotguns also had a problem with their ejectors a long time ago, but I have not had one come in with that problem in this shop since 1993. Seems Winchester has addressed that in the last 20 years.

I have to repair a Remington 870 about once a month. I sent one out with re-staked shell latches yesterday.

Of the shotguns you list I would go with Mossburg or Winchester before Remington.

In the Mossburg you can get longer magazines than you can with the Winchester, but I am unsure that is really an advantage for home defense. 5-6 seems to be fine to me

I also like the ease of loading the Mossburg over the other 2. It’s very fast to load because you have no lifter to push up in loading

shotgun-muzzles.jpg

:D

Plus a semi-auto can be fired MUCH faster than a pump.

The difference is only in fractions of a second. Inside 10 yards a semi-auto has a slight edge. Any further than that and you can pump faster than you can move between targets.

Personally I'll take the reliability of a pump every time.

Boomer

Have 870 with 3", skeet, ribbed trap, and now 18.5". Have shot tens of thousands of rounds through it in all configurations. It is my & wife's go to gun when HD is the issue. She does not shoot much, but knows how to sit in the corner of room and hit what she is aiming at....often and without hesitation and much skill. She will kill any intruder. I fully depend on our 870 as it has never misfired, jammed, nor given me any reason to choose another weapon for HD.....and I have several.

You can't go wrong unless you are on the other end of the barrel.

Boomer58cal wrote:
The difference is only in fractions of a second.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion Boomer.

I invite you to view these below video links and compare the rapid firing of the semi-auto Remington model 11 shotgun vs the rapid firing of the Remington model 870 pump shotgun.

6 rds rapid fired from a Remington model 11 shotgun. (I can fire my Remington 11 just as fast as the guy in this video, and I am 60 years old, so there is no professional Jerry Miculek speed like, about that shooter).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTwdRl7pqIw

Here's another Remington 11 being rapid fired.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvwIb1_LmyA

Now gauge that semi-auto speed against the speed of this Remington 870 pump being "rapid fired".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pz9oN0maik

Here's another video of another Rem 870 pump being "rapid fired"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr88pLhyuzY

As you can see, the 870 pump action shooters were working their pumps as fast as they could. But it is obvious they were much less as fast in firing them than the semi-auto shooters.

Boomer58cal wrote:
Inside 10 yards a semi-auto has a slight edge. Any further than that and you can pump faster than you can move between targets.

The OP said he was looking to buy his first home defense shotgun. I don't know too many average homes that have rooms that are open to over 10 yards (30 feet) long to where you would have 10 yards between targets you were tracking inside an average home.

As we see, the semi-auto has much more than just a "fraction of a second" in firing speed over the pump action shotgun, as the above videos illustrate. Plus once the first round is chambered in a semi-auto, there is no possibility of accidentally "short stroking" the pump action in a stressful situation to where you don't chamber a shell like is possible to do with a pump action shotgun.

The "long recoil action" of the recoiling barrel (and bolt) in the Remington 11 is also responsible for soaking up felt recoil and thus faster recovery time than a pump action shotgun which doesn't have that felt recoil reduction. One of my Remington model 11 shotguns has even less felt recoil than my other one, since it also has a Cutts Compensator on it that further reduces felt recoil.

I say "felt" recoil, because the semi-auto, long recoil action (moving/recoiling barrel & bolt compressing springs) Rem 11 is still reacting to the same amount of recoil as a pump action shotgun that's barrel and bolt do not move rearward under recoil, but because the moving barrel, bolt and springs of the semi-auto Rem 11 is "soaking up" that recoil, you don't have as much "felt" recoil hitting your shoulder as you do with a pump action shotgun. Thus less shock to your shoulder, more enjoyable to shoot, and faster recovery times between shots.

That's my opinion based on my actual personal shooting experience and the proof we can all see in the videos.

Last edited:
I agree with Bill...
I have owned two Model 11 riot guns. Both were capable of firing all five shells so quickly that all five empties were in the air in a line from the ejection port.
My current HD shotgun is a Beretta 1201FP Detroit PD surplus riot gun.
It uses the Benelli inertia lock, and function incredibly fast.
Oh...and never a jam from any of these semiauto shotguns.

It's really give or take and the only correct answer is get a pistol. If you don't know what you're doing and don't take the time to learn either can fail on you. Shooting targets both will be reliable with the pump maybe not being as finicky with ammo selection. (I say maybe due to the 870's chamber). In a pressure situation I believe the semi would hold an advantage for someone with less experience. Only because of the person. Since pump is driven by the person the action itself may be more reliable but it's driving force can create problems. Both short stroking and bad timing or not enough force on the return stroke can cause a pump to jamb, stove pipe or lock up. A semi, while not immune, is less affected by the human factor. Even experienced shotgunners can have these problems when put in a stressful situation. A semi has the simple advantage of removing some of the human factor.

It's not perfect. That same ability of mass dumping the mag tube isn't really a good thing with an inexperienced person. The pump makes you slow down.

I would like to bring something to your attention which emphasizes what a person with minimal training is a high stress enviroment can do.

"Some soldiers were so stressed that they loaded their rifles time after time but they never fired. (After one battle, the battle of Gettysburg, the discarded 37,574 rifles were collected and sent to Washington to be inspected and reissued. Approx. 24,000 of them were still loaded, and 75% of them had 2 to 10 rounds in the barrel).**"One rifle had been stuffed to the top with 23 rounds!"

http://planetar65.blogspot.com/2012/11/more-on-rifled-musket-in-american-civil.html?m=1#!

That was during the civil war. Soldiers would forget to put their primers in and with everything going on, they would not realise they hadn't shot and simply keep reloading.

Last edited:
I would say definitely give the Winchester SXP some consideration. I own the field model (28" ribbed barrel, 4+1 capacity. The Defender has 5+1 capacity with 18" barrel) and it's an awesome shotgun. I've handled and shot 870s and 500s. Not much but a bit. And I can honestly say the Winchester shoots, looks, and feels better than either. Best pump gun in the $300ish price range IMO.

Don't let the "Made in Turkey" stamp worry you. I guess if you MUST have a U.S. made shotgun, then nothing can be done about that. Me, sure I'd prefer to have "Made in the USA" stamped on the barrel, but a good shotgun is a good shotgun regardless where it comes from.

IDK about the extracting issues you heard. My guess is either they were using cheapo bottom of the barrel ammo or they got a lemon gun. It happens, heck, Remington has had their fair share of failures to extract. Mine however has gone through about 500 rounds of Winchester SuperX target loads and Federal target loads. Both cycled just fine. Also Winchesters are reported as being the few shotguns who will cycle the 1 3/4" mini shells reliably.
The Winchester is nothing new. it has plenty of time under it's belt with the 1200 and 1300. The SXP is simply an improvement and evolution of that design.

I hear plenty of stories of guys going to the shop thinking "I'll handle the 500 and 870 and decide which I like" then notice that SXP on the shelf and think "What the hell, might as well see how this feels". Guess what they end up leaving the store with?

Anyway, I love my Winnie and will be getting a second one soon. it's just too much fun emptying the mag with that speed pump.

Remington 887?....

Did you look at the new Ithaca defense 12ga shotguns with extended magazine tubes?
I like the Remington 887 tactical too but I'm left handed.

Clyde

Did you look at the new Ithaca defense 12ga shotguns with extended magazine tubes?
I like the Remington 887 tactical too but I'm left handed.

Clyde, since my 5 shot model 37 (1975 production) resides in my office due to a rash of armed robberies of local businesses, a new 8 shot version is what I have as my nightstand gun:
Ithicarightside_zpsadfa08fd.jpg

BUT, in answer to the OP's list, I'd have to lean towards the Mossberg...especially since he seems to like their tang safety.

I think a pump is fast enough and what may be most important between it and the semi is how easy it is to chamber the first round, which assumes you do not leave it laying around with one in the chamber. That and do your hands stay in position and is kept trained on target as you chamber that critical first shell.

Mossberg also makes a combo 500 model pack for around $350. It comes with 18.5" barrel reg stock, pistol grip and a 28" barrel with three tubes. Very versatile ,and a lot for the money

Yah the Mossberg is great--- the safety is useless with the pistol grip and being plastic has the reputation of falling off just when you need the gun.

When the safety falls off (it does) the gun won't shoot, it just makes a nice club.

That problem with the safety of the Mossberg is pretty common and is something that a Mossberg owner should replace with a metal button before it breaks. It runs $20 to $40 dollars depending on where you get it and if you get just he switch or all the springs.
p_080000564_1.jpg

JaguarXK120 wrote:
"Yah the Mossberg is great--- the safety is useless with the pistol grip and being plastic has the reputation of falling off just when you need the gun.
When the safety falls off (it does) the gun won't shoot, it just makes a nice club. "

JaguarXK120, I also had a Mossberg "Mariner" pump once. The one with the matte stainless barrel and full length loading tube. Mine had a plastic pistol grip and a vertical fore end. I even put a side saddle shell holder on it. It looked great and bad and mean,....but,...whenever I shot it, without it having a recoiling barrel (like my Rem 11) to soak up recoil, all that recoil went straight into my right wrist. It hurt my wrist like the dickens every darn time I shot it and I'm an old ex marine who isn't a wuss and is used to recoil and have been shooting for 50 years. I've had surgeries on both my wrists and didn't want that creating wrist problems. So I sold it. After that experience I was off shotguns for awhile. Kind of soured me out. But since I got my long recoil action, light recoiling, Remington 11's, I don't have that problem with recoil hurting my wrist. I will never have another pump action shotgun with only a pistol grip. With a pump not soaking up any recoil in any way, all that recoil is transferred directly into your wrist with a pistol grip only butt portion. I learned my lesson.

For me it's a semi auto with a full shoulder stock buttstock. That's the best way to go, (at least for me). Newbies who haven't shot a shotgun much and are looking to get their first one, will find out the same thing I did about that recoil transferring directly into their wrist if they only have a pistol grip butt portion. Then like me, they will either put a regular butt stock on it, or sell it to get one with a regular buttstock that doesn't transfer so much recoil into them. For me, that's the Remington 11.

Back