Looking for opinions - traditional DA semis

Kudos to John for pointing out the results of the trials. Years on here and the results of the SIG with the dried mud test somehow always get ignored. IIRC it lead to the so called “mud rails” on some SIG pistols where the rails were scalloped to provide a place for debris to be cleared (this was not a long lived change). I had one such pistol that was a Herndon, VA SigArms import before they were in NH.
The SIGs are great guns, no question about it. Somehow I've never ended up with a SIG, but it's not because I think poorly of them. I have friends who own them and are happy with them and the ones I've shot have been very accurate.

If you want a CZ they make a few models with the omega trigger system. This allows you to swap from safety to decocker style plus the controls are ambi.

IMO the CZ P07/09 are highly underrated pistols.

I'll take a CZ over a Sig any day of week.

Just bite the bullet...get a shadow 2 and everything else will collect dust.

A year or so ago, I was considering a Shadow. The other contenders were the Walther Q5 Match (steel frame) and the Sig Sauer P320 X5 Legion. I went with the Legion and I have no regrets. I am strongly considering the CZ75B.

Having a P-09, I find their current resurgence highly overrated. The trigger at best was crap and total mush. I also found my SP-01 to have the same crap trigger. Probably nothing has a worse trigger on the market than a CZ. Reset is huge, mush that is defined by having no idea when the travel will end, far forward DA.

But I did say don't exclude the CZs from your search :)

I think the Beretta X is the best "deal" on the market right now in 17rnd, 15rnd, and 13rnd and smaller grip frame. Only thing wrong is the rounded trigger guard...doh! Otherwise, you aren't going to spend less than 600 with an optics ready metal frame gun that isn't the AREX or Witness.

I say rule out the Shadow. No other gun out there has the firing pin block removed and CZ's decocking on the gun is clearly not a design to be a working decocker.

Sig, bring back the real P226 X5s and just take our money.

Last edited:
Having a P-09, I find their current resurgence highly overrated. The trigger at best was crap and total mush.

I think the Beretta X is the best "deal" on the market right now in 17rnd, 15rnd, and 13rnd and smaller grip frame. Only thing wrong is the rounded trigger guard...doh! Otherwise, you aren't going to spend less than 600 with an optics ready metal frame gun that isn't the AREX or Witness.

I have a Beretta Model 92 Compact L. It's a great gun. I'm not looking for another. I'm an instructor, so I like to expand my first-hand knowledge of guns. I don't have anything in the P226-like or CZ75-like families of guns. That's why I'm looking at similar guns to those I have listed.

The AREX is tempting for me too.

It's a shame the run of the mill P226 Enhanced E with SRT isn't being made right now. At its normal pricing around 600, that is the no brainer. But it isn't being made right now. The Legion is mostly the Enhanced but with smaller controls and stuff no one but a Legion fan cares about and has a crappy coating. The Legion really needs to go away. Take the MK25 and Extreme with it. Bring back normal priced P226 E, have a variant with the SRT and AEP, and a $1,500 X5.

I have a thought though on the AREX. The CZ clone SAR B6. Everything about it should be good. But the trigger isn't great, it's not +P rated, and the gun is SS making you realize that SS is a cost cutter. Not one youtube on it showed anything but it fires a bullet and that's it's accuracy.

Yeah, the AREX might be a good cheap way to go as a CZ99/P226 clonish...but I have some doubts on long term and Sig just might have enough better quality in it to make accuracy better... However, I was just looking at them yesterday too.

Last edited:
The AREX is tempting for me too.

It's a shame the run of the mill P226 Enhanced E isn't being made right now. At its normal pricing around 600, that is the no brainer. But it isn't being made right now. The Legion is mostly the Enhanced minus stuff no but P226 fan cares about and has a crappy coating. The Legion really needs to go away.

I have a thought though on the AREX. The CZ clone SAR B6. Everything about it should be good. But the trigger isn't great, it's not +P rated, and the gun is SS making you realize that SS is a cost cutter. Not one youtube on it showed anything but it fires a bullet and that's it's accuracy.

Yeah, the AREX might be a good cheap way to go as a CZ99/P226 clonish...but I have some doubts on long term and Sig just might have enough better quality in it to make accuracy better... However, I was just looking at them yesterday too.

I've handled the Arex and a 226 in the same session. I liked the Arex trigger better than the 226. The price point is very enticing. I'm going to do some fishing around YouTube for 1,000 round reviews of the Arex.

Agreed on this forum being better than most.

I totally and frequently trash CZ for having it's horrible trigger that can't be matched for it's crappiness. No one cares. :)

The Sar B6/B6P and Canik P-120/100 and Canik TP9 series do good on torture testing too. It's the accuracy that seems to set them apart from the guns they copy for less.

I think there is some agreement that a cheap loose gun will survive torture tests because loose usually means good function. It's when it's tight and accurate that sets them apart and cheap guns don't do good there.

Not saying that isn't the case with AREX...but I haven't seen too many P226 comparisons with the AREX for accuracy.

Find it odd that people I take shooting, Sig p series, Beretta 92 performance, 3rd gen Smiths, M&Ps, FN, 1911s, hipower, they all say "WOW" that's nice after handling my crappy CZs.

The Arex would be nice but it's no clone, how's the part availability?

The Sig legions are nothing special, undercut trigger guard and front serrations. Throw a SRT kit and a grey guns trigger and you got the same thing.
The X5 isn't coming back and certainly not at 1500 bucks.

Have you shot a shadow? It's one of the most popular if not the most popular gun in competition based games.

To be clear, I don’t think CZs are “crappy” (I don’t want to be guilty by association). I’ve owned all the pistols on your list and I just like SIGs and Berettas more. I still enjoyed the 75B, 75BD, and P-01s I’ve owned, just not enough to keep them. I keep looking for an opportunity to shoot a Shadow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find it odd that people I take shooting, Sig p series, Beretta 92 performance, 3rd gen Smiths, M&Ps, FN, 1911s, hipower, they all say "WOW" that's nice after handling my crappy CZs.

The Arex would be nice but it's no clone, how's the part availability?

The Sig legions are nothing special, undercut trigger guard and front serrations. Throw a SRT kit and a grey guns trigger and you got the same thing.
The X5 isn't coming back and certainly not at 1500 bucks.

Have you shot a shadow? It's one of the most popular if not the most popular gun in competition based games.

I haven't shot the Shadow. I researched it when I was doing my last three gun comparison (that ended up with me choosing the P320 X5 Legion with a Romeo 1 Pro). This time around, I'm in the sub $1,000 range, so the Shadow is out.

As far as I can tell nobody has mentioned the Bersa line of Argentine pistols. I have 2 of the Bersa Thunders in .380 that I like quite well.

As far as I can tell nobody has mentioned the Bersa line of Argentine pistols. I have 2 of the Bersa Thunders in .380 that I like quite well.

I have a Thunder 380 Combat with an ArmaLaser TR-14. It's a great gun. I'm looking for a double stack 9mm. I would not even be having this conversation if I hadn't gotten rid of its big brother, the Thunder 9 Pro. That was a huge mistake.

If you are just adding and not an older DA, the H&K comes to mind. I have shot the P-30. Feel wise of all the (only revolver of DA Semi) that one is the best.

I have shot the P220 (aka BDA 45) and its a top choice and due to its legacy, probably my top choice. Kind of the Python of DA SA in my view.

Best bang for the buck would be the Sig SP2022 with (at least mine) very good SA trigger.

If you are just adding and not an older DA, the H&K comes to mind. I have shot the P-30. Feel wise of all the (only revolver of DA Semi) that one is the best.

I have shot the P220 (aka BDA 45) and its a top choice and due to its legacy, probably my top choice. Kind of the Python of DA SA in my view.

Best bang for the buck would be the Sig SP2022 with (at least mine) very good SA trigger.

That's a great recommendation, but it is right handed only. I'm looking for an ambi gun.

Back