Looking for opinions - traditional DA semis

CavGuy

I'm looking to add a traditional DA all metal semi to my collection. I already have a Beretta 92. The three guns I have in mind are IWI Jericho 941, Sig Sauer P226, and Arex Rex Zero 1 full sized. Weight is not an issue because I do not plan on carrying this. I live in a free state, so I'm not dealing with an approved handgun roster. I'm open to suggestions outside of those three. Ask that I ask is if you chime in, that you have significant experience with your recommendation. Thanks.

I own a German-made P226. It’s reputation is deserved. The only mod I made was to install the E2 package to improve the grip profile. The SIG is the senior member of the group you are considering, so it does have a track record. That also means the used market would have many examples, so moving to a P226 would not necessarily be an expensive proposition.
cc9037c8c4d144fccbaa96c740ac0c6d.jpg

The Beretta has a metal frame-aluminum. You mean a steel frame. I have the S&W M639 and M659, there are the later S&Ws.

The three guns I have in mind are IWI Jericho 941...
The Jericho is, at heart, a CZ75 Clone. If that gun interests you, I would point you toward the CZ75B instead.
Can't go wrong with the Ruger P series, the pistol that was runner up to the Beretta 92 in the Army handgun trials in the 80s.
I have a handful of the P series pistols and they are definitely solid guns. I have no hesitation in putting them into a self-defense role.

It is true that Ruger intended the P85 to be a contender for the U.S. military trials but it was not ready in time to be entered. The SACO Defense (Now SIG Sauer) entry was the runner up to the Beretta 92F.

The Jericho is, at heart, a CZ75 Clone. If that gun interests you, I would point you toward the CZ75B instead.I have a handful of the P series pistols and they are definitely solid guns. I have no hesitation in putting them into a self-defense role.

It is true that Ruger intended the P85 to be a contender for the U.S. military trials but it was not ready in time to be entered. The SACO Defense (Now SIG Sauer) entry was the runner up to the Beretta 92F.
It would have been the runner up then :D

I've been weighing a 92 (Beretta or Taurus) and the P89. Really just want a DA/SA as I like the trigger and exposed hammer. Which would you choose between the two? The nice thing with the P89's is they've finally come down in price from where they were in January. P90's seem to still hover around 500.

Between a P-Series Ruger and a Beretta 92, I'd go with the Beretta. That said, I solved that problem myself by buying both. :D

I primarily use the P89DC for shooting bargain basement ammo I don't want to run through my other guns. It eats it all up (except for S&B--neither of my P89s have liked S&B) including the steel cased stuff with no problems.

One thing to keep in mind is that Beretta seems to be supporting the 92/96 line while Ruger has really pulled back from providing support for the P-Series pistols. You can't even buy recoil-spring assemblies for the P95 pistols any more, for example.

I own a German-made P226. It’s reputation is deserved. The only mod I made was to install the E2 package to improve the grip profile. The SIG is the senior member of the group you are considering, so it does have a track record. That also means the used market would have many examples, so moving to a P226 would not necessarily be an expensive proposition.
cc9037c8c4d144fccbaa96c740ac0c6d.jpg

Thank you. That is helpful information. I have a few P320s, so I am familiar with Sig's quality. I am certainly not opposed to going used.

Can't go wrong with the Ruger P series, the pistol that was runner up to the Beretta 92 in the Army handgun trials in the 80s.

I had a Ruger P90 in 45, so I can definitely agree with you on that. It was built like a tank. My biggest concern with a discontinued gun is service in the future.

The Jericho is, at heart, a CZ75 Clone. If that gun interests you, I would point you toward the CZ75B instead.I have a handful of the P series pistols and they are definitely solid guns. I have no hesitation in putting them into a self-defense role.

The CZ75 would definitely for the bill. I have an ancient CZ52 chambered in 7.62x25. It is an amazing gun, decades ahead of its time. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. That is helpful information. I have a few P320s, so I am familiar with Sig's quality. I am certainly not opposed to going used.

As you know, the P226 is a hammer gun. I have nothing against striker-fired, I own a Walther P99, but sold my P320 because I preferred the P226. And also because I set up my Kel Tec Sub2k to use P226 magazines. Mec Gar 20s rock.

The CZ75 is a another legacy model, well respected and lots of them on the used market. I never owned one but do have its pappy, the SIG P210.

The 941 is not a CZ clone, it has few to no parts that interchange.
CZ 75 has very good aftermarket support, 941 not so much, heck even OEM support is lacking.

The 941 is not a CZ clone, it has few to no parts that interchange.
CZ 75 has very good aftermarket support, 941 not so much, heck even OEM support is lacking.

There are IWI guns from Israel and from the US. I had a Masada from their Pennsylvania plant and they supported it very well. Maybe the support issues are from IWI in Israel?

The one thing that bugs me about the guns we're discussing is they are exclusively right handed (due to their vintage designs). The Arex Zero 1 is the only with an ambi safety / decocker. I don't care about the mag release because I'm a vet who carried a 1911A1. I learned how to use my left middle finger to drop magazines.

As you know, the P226 is a hammer gun. I have nothing against striker-fired, I own a Walther P99, but sold my P320 because I preferred the P226. And also because I set up my Kel Tec Sub2k to use P226 magazines. Mec Gar 20s rock.

The CZ75 is a another legacy model, well respected and lots of them on the used market. I never owned one but do have its pappy, the SIG P210.

Mec-Gar is dominating the magazine world. I recently got two Caniks and a Taurus GX4. They all use Mec-Gar magazines. So does my Beretta 92 and my RIA 1911A2 Ultra TAC FS HC.

Find a deal on a P226-40 and add a 357 barrel - What a great 2 for 1 pistol.

That would make a lot of sense if I was interested in those calibers. I got rid of all my 40 S&W guns a few years ago. With ammo technology being what it is today, I didn't see the sense in gaining recoil and energy by staying with the 40. If that works for you, I'm glad. The price of 357 Sig ammo has kept me away.

Mec-Gar is dominating the magazine world. I recently got two Caniks and a Taurus GX4. They all use Mec-Gar magazines. So does my Beretta 92 and my RIA 1911A2 Ultra TAC FS HC.

As does Walther. As did Browning for the Hi Power magazines they sold under their brand.

Back