Looking for an inexpensive used rifle for deer hunting

some of the "combo" scopes aren't too bad. Some of the Savages come with a Nikon Prostaff. Or the Bushnell Engage scope.

Winchester XPR combo comes with a Vortex Crossfire 2. Also not a bad scope.

Franchi Momentum combo has a burris fullfield 2.

All of the above listed combos come with scopes that are definitely serviceable. And of reasonable quality.

I have a $150 Nikon Prostaff 3-9x42 on my 270 WSM.... Perfect tracking Good Light transmission. Holds Zero, doesnt fog etc. Shoot half minute groups regularly at 100 yards, and 2/3 Minute groups at 300 yards. And its on a pretty cheap rifle... You can also save $100 or so by buying one of the combo rifles with a decent scope. VS buying both separately.

You really can get would have been considered Excellent or superb scopes 20 years ago for bargain prices today..

Often a bunch of "used one season" cheap deer rifles on the private sale or consignment sales this time of year. There are actually some "hunters?" who buy a package rifle just before deer season, drag it around the woods for a few days, and re-sell it right before "tax time".

PAJoe1022 wrote:
Hi all, I'm looking for an inexpensive rifle to use for deer hunting. I'm looking in and around the $200-250 price range. I'd rather buy a quality used gun than a cheap new one. .308 or .270 would be my preference, ...

Joe, This should be a good time of year to buy a hunting rifle. A quick look on gunbroker.com for buy now prices on a 270W shows:

Plenty of Rem 783s, Mossbergs Savages, TCs, Rugers and a S&W in the $260 to 340 price range. This doesn't include shipping and transfer fee.

These are "buy now" prices - You could try bidding or you need to up your price range a little, even if it means waiting/saving some. You would have much more to choose.

I’ve used pump shotguns with slugs for years, and a mosin M44. I actually bought a moss berg patriot in .30-06 for $200 with a cheap 3-9x, which I pulled and sold for $50, and replaced with a low end vortex 2-7x.

Back