Looking for an inexpensive used rifle for deer hunting

PAJoe,
You don't mention what part of PA you live in.
Here in central PA (Altoona/ State College) pawn shops are few and far between.
Not like it was 20 years age.
Flea markets everywhere, but most of them price, thinking it's a one of a kind commemorative Weatherby Mark V.

Check your local gun shops. Used Savage 110 can be had for a deal.
Overlook the stain that looks more akin to paint. If you strip it off, there is actually some nicely grained wood to be had.

If your in the Altoona, SC, Clearfield, Johnstown area give me a PM. I can help hook a brother up.

Std7mag

PAJoe,
You don't mention what part of PA you live in.
Here in central PA (Altoona/ State College) pawn shops are few and far between.
Not like it was 20 years age.
Flea markets everywhere, but most of them price, thinking it's a one of a kind commemorative Weatherby Mark V.

Check your local gun shops. Used Savage 110 can be had for a deal.
Overlook the stain that looks more akin to paint. If you strip it off, there is actually some nicely grained wood to be had.

If your in the Altoona, SC, Clearfield, Johnstown area give me a PM. I can help hook a brother up.

Std7mag
Std7mag,

I'm in metro Pittsburgh. Honestly there aren't a lot of pawn shops here either, and the ones that are here are a little sketchy. I checked one gun shop today and they didn't stock hardly anything, everything they sold was special order. Big Bucks is another gun store I looked at, and they had decent inventory, but nothing that was quite what I'm looking for. A Savage 110 would be perfect.Altoona Johnstown area is an easy drive though.

Check out the Ruger American series. Ugly and not my cup of tea but very functional and accurate rifles. Spring sales should put some south of $300 at the big box stores or on line
sales. These low end Rugers & Savages that end up used and pawned may be the best deals

Check out the Ruger American series. Ugly and not my cup of tea but very functional and accurate rifles. Spring sales should put some south of $300 at the big box stores or on line
sales. These low end Rugers & Savages that end up used and pawned may be the best deals
The Ruger American does seem like a very nice gun for the money. I've always been fond of Ruger products. I'll be keeping an eye out at the box stores. I agree they are pretty ugly with their plastic stocks, but aftermarket wood ones are available.

There is supposedly a good shop in Indiana.
There is a place called The Vault. Decent selection, fair pricing.
Note, even though they are cheap, stay away from their sporterized Mausers.

There is Sportsmans Discount in Johnstown. Lots of used rifles there.
I dang near bought a stainless Modle 7 in 7mm RSAUM.

Grice's in Clearfield. Ton of used guns. Price, ehhh.
www.gricegunshop.com

I've been buying my firearms from Belding & Mull in Philipsburg the past couple of years.
Great people, really great pricing!

There is supposedly a good shop in Indiana.
There is a place called The Vault. Decent selection, fair pricing.
Note, even though they are cheap, stay away from their sporterized Mausers.

There is Sportsmans Discount in Johnstown. Lots of used rifles there.
I dang near bought a stainless Modle 7 in 7mm RSAUM.

Grice's in Clearfield. Ton of used guns. Price, ehhh.
www.gricegunshop.com

I've been buying my firearms from Belding & Mull in Philipsburg the past couple of years.
Great people, really great pricing!
Thanks for the leads, I'll be sure to check them out! Just curious, has anyone bought from Cheaper than Dirt? If anyone has can you provide good/bad feedback? Thanks!

Thanks for the leads, I'll be sure to check them out! Just curious, has anyone bought from Cheaper than Dirt? If anyone has can you provide good/bad feedback? Thanks!

Cheaper Than Dirt? You just said the forum equivalent of the "F" word. They are not well liked for some of the stunts they pulled during the ammo shortage and potential gun bans after Sandy Hook. Do a search here. I will say no more because I don't want to get your thread closed.

If you aren't signed up at Gunbroker then sign up and start watching the auctions for the guns you are interested in. Be patient. What you are looking for will sooner or later turn up. In the mean time save more money to increase your options.

Pardon my ignorance, I didn't realize they had such a bad reputation. I just happened to scroll across them while looking around online. I'm not signed up at GunBroker, I'll check it out.

I'm in no big rush. Hunting season is basically over and I have my .30-30 to use. I'm just looking for something a little different, I get bored of shooting the same gun all the time.

Prices at CTD are ok. I've never ordered anything from them.
Also note your paying shipping, and the gun shop where you pick it up from charges more for the paperwork/ background check than if you just bought it there.
Comes out a wash.

PA Joe you don't have to sign up at GB to cruise around and look. When you get there go to the pull down tab called Browse and select rifles, then bolt action rifles and it will help a lot with making your search easier for what you are looking for without a lot of extra stuff listed.

No pardon needed for the CTD miscue. They pulled some stunts that left a bad taste in everyones mouth. Like when ARs prices went crazy they pull all of theirs and a couple of days later had them listed for 3-4 times the prior price. They had .380 ammo that was $10 a box repriced to $50 a box. And did this across the board during the shortage and panic. They scalped new guys trying to buy a gun and ammo. Most hoped they would go under. Including me.

here is a link to just the Savage bolt actions. 34 pages full with prices all over the map. I like the older ones without the Accutrigger. The older Savage trigger models are the ones I prefer.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action-Rifles/search?Keywords=savage 110 bolt action&Sort=13

One of my favorites.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797367805

Yeah I was unaware of CTD's price hike stunt. I'm always kinda skeptical of buying things online to begin with but their prices are only about average and hearing stuff like that doesn't make me want to buy from them.

There are some excellent looking guns on GB, thanks for the link! I think a Savage bolt is probably what I'm gonna be looking for, though I won't rule out a Ruger American. I'll be keeping a close eye on some of those auctions to see what the final selling prices are. Thanks again.

The older style Savage triggers are adjustable and can be made very nice. I know because I did one. But you will also have to readjust the safety after the trigger adjustment. But I did it so long ago I don't remember exactly how to do it. But with a gun in hand its was an easy adjustment.

And Savages have an excellent reputation for accuracy. But the new guns they make just strike as el cheapo made. Especially the Stevens versions.

The older style Savage triggers are adjustable and can be made very nice. I know because I did one. But you will also have to readjust the safety after the trigger adjustment. But I did it so long ago I don't remember exactly how to do it. But with a gun in hand its was an easy adjustment.

And Savages have an excellent reputation for accuracy. But the new guns they make just strike as el cheapo made. Especially the Stevens versions.
Yeah I agree. A lot of the newer Savages feel plastic-y and the actions don't feel very smooth. I didn't know they even still made anything under the Stevens name. My 325B is a Stevens and I think I said in an earlier post, it's around 70 years old so quality can change a lot in 70 years but I really like that gun. Even with iron sights it's very accurate. My grandfather purchased it new a few years after he got back from the war and it's been handed down so it has some sentimental value too.

Oh, just a thought...
Don't rule out going to E.R. Shaws store. They are in Washington, just south of Pittsburgh.
Oh, and so you don't feel the fool like i did my first time there, they have to "buzz you in".

Some of their Mark VII are really nice!

All the inexpensive bolt action rifles currently being sold are very accurate; they also wear Tupperware stocks. Don't buy a scoped "combination" version of the rifle. The scopes are trash. $100-150 will buy a much better scope.

Ever month i visit the pawn shops that sell guns. Sometimes luck out with a real bargain. When cruising pawn shops:

1. Do your deer rifle shopping well before deer season: Summertime is best.

2. Don't be afraid to offer $100-150 less than marked price for a $350 gun.

3. Be patient.

Easy, there, Ratshooter. The Steven's line of Savage bolt action rifles are simply the old 110 model in a poorly finished cheap Tupperware stock. I have one in .243 Win. that my son sanded the stock, painted it camo, replaced the hard rubber butt pad with a soft Hogue recoil pad and added a Rifle Basix trigger and it shot so much better than my Sako A7, I kept the Steven's and sent the Sako down the road. My son has taken coyotes at 400 yards with 70 gr Speer TNT handloads.
The "cheap" Savages I would avoid are the current Axis and Trophy models. I do enjoy their current 10T and 12 FV heavy barrel models from Cabelas, however.

Thanks for all the replies! I've never heard of ER Shaws but Washington isn't a far ride, I'm sure it would be worth checking out.

thallub, I agree on not buying combination rifles with scores, the scopes are always junk. I've made that mistake before and won't do it again.

Back