Looking for advice on Scopes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good discussion here on inexpensive scopes. Nose around that web site, that has some ideas on good rifle scopes. He's an optics physicist and a shooter, so he's pretty knowledgeable.

On this page, the Vortex Diamondback pretty much winds hands down. That's what I have on my Ruger American Compact in 7mm-08 and that's what I'll be getting for my RA Predator.

Good luck!

ETA: It would *probably* help if I actually included the dang link: http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=77

This year I bought 2 scopes, a 2-7 VX 1 rimfire and a Nikon P223 3-9. The Leupold is easier to see thru because eye relief isn't as critical. If I had a do over I'd put a VX 1 on the AR. In my experience 2-7 is powerful enough for a hunting scope. 3-9 is more popular and easier to find. A 2-7 is generally more compact and lighter than the 3-9s.

My 2 cents.

Vortex makes some good scopes, but from what I have seen, the Crossfire series is not what I would consider a good scope. Diamondback series begins to be decent.

If you have $250.00 to spend on an optic, pick one you like in that price range. 99% of the glass is made in the same place as are the tubes. Mechanics reticles and coatings are spec'd by the manufacturer but there's not a whole lot of difference between them. A $250.00 scope is not going to be a fine instrument, it's going to have more shortcomings than positives.

Personally, I'd save a bit more to get into the next level up. If you get to $400 or a little more, your options become better. Weaver Super Slam, Meopta Meopro, Leupold VX3i, etc. Most of them are made in Japan and therefore more reliable than the cheap Chinese/Phillipino crap.

Where optics are concerned you get what you pay for. Cheap optics will fail, it's not an if, it's a when.

I'd also suggest perusing sites like SWFA Sample List, SportOptics, CameralandNY or EuroOptic for their used and Clearance stock. Many times you can land a much better scope at a significant savings.

Good luck, choosing the right optic is harder than picking a rifle, at least picking the right one is.

2-VX2 3x9x40s
1-VX3I 4.5X14x40
1-VX6 3X18x50 CDS
On my practice gun the Ruger 10/22 is topped with Vortex diamonds 4x12x40 it's only 3 months old and the windage knob will no longer click in place and the numbers ring came loose,mailed it to vortex last Thursday very nice lady on the phone.Im just a straight up Leupold fan save longer buy better scopes.

Our God reigns.

I have been a Leupold fan for many years. Low end Leupolds, high end Leupolds, Leupold bench rest scopes, you name it. Here lately, Meopta has just hurt my feelings. Maybe it is just my eyes, but dollar for dollar, they are clearer then Leupold and MUCH brighter. I think Leupold seems to be losing ground to the Euro glass.

I've had very good luck with my Bushnell scope featuring 1.5 - 4.5X settings. This is the Dusk & Dawn model and I'm very pleased with it. I bought it through Amazon for less than $80.

My rifle is a RUGER 96 in 44 MAG. The scope holds up well under this moderate recoil and zero remains constant. This tight group was fired at 100 yards from a steady rest.

Jack

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all of your help guys.

I went and checked out a few scopes over the weekend and tried some of the ones you recommended in my local shop as well and ended up going for the Vortex Crossfire 2.

I felt that this is a really good scope for the money and even the manager of the store said he has one and it has never let him down. It feels leagues greater than the VX1 and I think it was slightly nicer to use than the VX2 as well.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase so thanks again for your help guys.

Save your money until you can get a more expensive scope. You don't always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get, especially when it comes to optics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back