Looking for advice on Scopes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a crazy idea. Buy dirt cheap Tasco, under $100, maybe under $50? or a used tasco for 10-20 bucks!

The reasoning is in a few years you will be out with a buddy and look through his Leupold and realize your $250 scope is a pretty crappy product. It will have near zero resale. Down the road you have more money and you can upgrade. The cost of the Tasco is peanuts and even some of the Chinese built Tasco are good serviceable scope. They may offer a light weight 2-7x32? Or something in a x32. I got a Chinese 4x32 tasco. It is ok. I had to think for a minute. I gave $10, for this, used. A joke right! The darn scope works, it is light and simple. It was going to be a temp deal. I may just go with this for a while.

Unfortunately, this is the kind of stuff you can only find out for yourself. No one on the web will suggest a $10 used scope.

You can look threw a large number of scopes in a big store and learn a lot for yourself. Not like looking at a brown animal in the shadows, but; get some idea. It does not cost anything to visit a big store like cableas and look at some of every brand. You will see a difference. Then consider go shopping for a used scope.

I just picked up a used, Leupold VXIIc 3-9 x 40mm, matte finish, duplex, for well under 250 bucks. It's in pristine condition, with the original box and wrap cloth without any scope ring marks on it at all. I found this glass on ebay, from a reputable seller. And the thing about Leupold is their unconditional warranty on any scope, owned by anybody who needs service whether they're the original buyer or not. Great product, great warranty.

I have 5 Leupold scopes, my first one I purchased back in 1980. I've never had to send any of them back, either. I don't doubt the "new" used one I just got won't need any service, either. But if it does...

If at this point you're "hunting" for a scope, don't pass up ebay. There's a scope hunt there, too, and well within your price range (IMO).

BTW, that first Leupold scope I bought in 1980 is mounted on my elk rifle, a fixed, M8-4X. I trust that scope completely, and just killed my cow elk last week using the '06 that scope is mounted on. The new VXII that I just bought is probably going on my .223 ADL. It's got a matte finish, too.

I agree with jmr40: Burris FFII 3x9x40. Usually about $199.00.

That would be my recomendation. I have two of them and the boys have the 2x7s on their hunting rifles. Hard to beat for the price.

I just picked up a used, Leupold VXIIc 3-9 x 40mm, matte finish, duplex, for well under 250 bucks. It's in pristine condition, with the original box and wrap cloth without any scope ring marks on it at all. I found this glass on ebay, from a reputable seller. And the thing about Leupold is their unconditional warranty on any scope, owned by anybody who needs service whether they're the original buyer or not. Great product, great warranty.

There you go, ebay. And, inspite of what I said about getting a 32mm. This leupold will weight less than the competition in a 40mm.

Getting a bit off topic, and (assume)not a consideration for the gun in question, I also keep an eye out for gloss Leupolds. That is a uptick in cost today, but for used they seem to bring the same.

A word on ebay, maybe common knowledge, you dont get sucked into a bidding war. Wait till the end, then make your best bid. If you are busy use a sniping program. Hold you cards close to the chest, bid as late as you can. This is like a selaed bid auction, no need to show your numbers up front.

Last edited:
Lovely????????

I would support local jobs and get a Leupold. I am across the country, but still do this.

I would like a VX-2 for that price, 2-7 or 3-9. Probably 3-9 if you want to shoot 2-300 yards.

VX3I is replacing VX3 and you may get lucky and find a deal.

What makes you think Leupold scopes are produced completely in the USA? Even when most other scopes were still made in the USA, I stayed away from Leupold. Every(EVERY) time some one tells me about how great their Leupold scopes are, there is always a story coming about how they sent their scope back and had it repaired for free. I also have had good luck with used cheap scopes. I put a scope on a single shot 12 gage about 30 years ago. It was a cheap, short, imported rifle scope. It is still working today after hundreds of rounds. Let me tell you, that S/S has some recoil. Back when I did that, no (NO) US scope maker would guarantee a rifle scope on a shotgun.
If you want a "Working" scope, there are used ones out there. If you are looking to impress your Buddys, then shell out the bucks.

I agree. I dont want to use the warrant,y or know how good it is.

I got a good job, I can afford to buy American. I realize not all can. I do it for selfish reasons though. I live and work in America, so it benefits me in the long run.

I have had Leupold scopes for years without a single problem. Of course there are better scopes and, of course, they cost more than Leupold scopes, e.g., Swarovski, Nightforce, and Schmidt & Bender.

I was using VX-2s, this year splurged on VX3i 3.5-10. I cleared some runways and extended shooting lanes to 100 yards. Some deer came in. But ended up shooting at another blind at about 25 yards with well over hour of daylight.

Is the VX3 worth it? Dunno. Pretty close to my ceiling. I was looking at VX6s on sale. I think 3-18 would be awesome. Might try a used one.

A Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x is a great scope for hunting deer and elk. I have three of the earlier models of the same scope. After more than 30 years of hunting with scoped bolt action rifles I would never recommend a variable scope with a maximum power greater than 9x. I have always carried my rifle with the scope set at 2.5x and that enabled me to get my biggest 5X5 elk at about 25 yards. Adjusting the scope to 8x let me take a 130 lb. black bear at 400+ yards on the same hunt. Regardless of brand, a variable power scope for big game hunting needs a power range that will work a very close ranges. Longer ranges will not be a problem with an 8x or 9x maximum.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I did some more research over the weekend after hearing you all talk so much abour Leupold scopes and stumbled across this site whilst google searching for the best scopes: https://tangotactics.com

It seems to have a good explanation in what to look for when choosing a scope and I quite like the sound of the VX-1 as that also comes with a lifetime warranty :)

I leave my scope turned all the way down where I hunt. But I like to handload, work up loads, target shoot. Some of the higher end scopes cover a wider range. Someday maybe long range hunting.

3x18 would be low enough for hunting, and high enough for target shooting. 19 ounces.

For your budget you could buy a nice Nikon scope. I have 5 Nikon Prostaff 5 scopes and am very satisfied with them.

I have two Revolution scopes. They are fantastic. They are built at the Leupold plant in the USA. Right there in Oregon where you are from has got to be a bonus! How do you get your ISP address to resolve to Egypt?

Last edited:
Rebs - Thanks, what are your thoughts on the P-223? As that one seems highly rated by many review websites.

Dranrab - I like to run a VPN to bounce my location around, I'm not the biggest fan of giving away my location to every site I visit. Especially after after all the info Snowden has released.

i have used leupolds no bull crap warrenty several times and leupold replaced two with brand new ones and both were over 30 years old and had been hunted hard. please tell me what scope makers that would- will do that yeasterday or today that are still making scopes. where do you send your 30-20-10 year old scopes to get repaired or replaced? you can ever send your leupold in to get checked and gone over if needed free, with fast turn around time and you don,t even have to be the original buyer. if i sound like a leupold fan boy, i am. eastbank.

Thanks, after doing some more reading I think ive found a scope that ticks all my boxes. What do you guys think of the Vortex Crossfire 2, ive done a lot of reading on this scope and it seems very good. It was also rated as the best rifle scope for the money from https://tangotactics.com

I think this might be it guys, it even comes with a lifetime warranty like a leupold!

why would the reporter say a 3x9 scope would not be for long range hunting? i have shot game and targets at close to 500 yards with a 3x9 leupold scope with AO. and have shot several deer at close to 300 yards with a 4x leupold scope. and i think any good quality scope could do the same. eastbank.

I just can't get past the Vortex name. Who names a rifle scope company after the swirl in the toilet when you flush it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back