Ruger M77 Compact in 7mm-08 or 308 Win

Ruger #1 in 45-70

Ruger #1 International in 7 x 57

Winchester 1886 in 45-70

Remington 700 in 250 Savage

Savage 14 in 250 Savage

Marlin 336C in 35 Remington

Marlin 308MX in 308 MX

These are some oddball fun rifles great for deer hunting with a compact 4x scope on top in most cases. . .a bit more or a bit less as you might desire.

In terms of being "fun and different" (I have already nominated the Ruger M-77 International chambered in .308), I would add the Savage Model 99 and the Winchester Model 88 rifles, both chambered in .358 Winchester and topped with either a receiver sight or a compact scope, to Nathan's list.

dg,

Those are great choices that I should have included.

Winchester also makes a model 71, if I remember right in 348 WCF.

Frankly, we all probably need a bolt 30'06 or similar with a good 3-9 x 40 scope on it to really put meat on the table, but a nice compact rifle in 308 or smaller with a lightweight simple scope will put meat on the table with less weight, less recoil and possibly more fun.

Also, I love the rifle in Salty's pictures. That looks like a real fun rifle.

Since you already have your meat and potatoes rifle and you want to change, why not something in a little less traveled. Three quickly come to mind. 25-06, 260 Remington, and 7mm-08. The 25-06 has been around a long time and is well proven. The 260 and 7-08 are both excellent cartridges. Ammo for all three are readily available. If you are looking for something odd ball, then perhaps a 6.5-06. Its an excellent cartridge too, but you will have to reload for it.

Those Winchester Model 70's currently being made by FN are some of the best in the history if the rifle. I am contemplating picking one up.

Have you considered a deer rifle on the AR frame?

The 6.5 Grendel will handle the same game out to within about 100 yards of what the 6.5x55, the .260 Rem, and 6.5 Creedmoor can do with the same barrel lengths.

The Grendel in a carbine format will handle was well as any of the 30-30 lever action rifles but has a trajectory more like the the .308 Winchester.

Ditto what Liberty said. Stainless is the only way to go when facing the prospect of hunting in sloppy weather. I have a Ruger M77 stainless chambered in .308. Great knockdown power, easily found ammo that is loaded in various weights and applications. Sub moa groups with handloads. That's all you can expect in a rifle.

The M70 Featherweight is a great rifle, I have owned several, both pre '64 and post and still own at least 3. You own and like a Rem M700 from a time when quality was GREAT and I doubt any Savage of any model would appeal to you (sorry Savage fans). Having owned a lot of deer rifles in my time and likely about 50+/- right now, my suggestion would be a BLR in either .308 or .358. Of all the rifles I own now, my BLR/.358 might be the last to go (or maybe go with me in the "box" :eek:)

Compact, lightweight and if you ever need a second shot (although that would be rare, I'm sure :D) it's there and quick. I own lots of Marlins that include the 336ER and Marlin .375, .444S, 1895G and 1895M, but the BLR/.358 is the bomb. Look at it, rack the short-throw action and feel the light weight. Me thinks, you'll love it!!

Good luck with whatever you end up getting!! :D

Really? MSRP is $449!

If I paid $500 for an RAR I'd expect them to at least kiss me first...

They are a great rifle but not for that price. If you do a little shopping around you can find them for $350 pretty easily. I've seen them locally for $325 out-the-door.

Never said $500 was the best price, just putting the price below the posted limit. You may be able to find them for $350 in your part of the country but not around here. I personally don't own one, but have spent a good deal of time shooting one and I think they are well worth the money.

Take a look at the CZ550 American.

I've had one in .270 Win since '03 and it has been great.

+1

I have this exact same rifle and absolutely love it. CZ makes fantastic rifles that are very fairly priced. As far as value, it doesn't get much better.

Back