Looking for a nice deer rifle

Im sure I'm about to tick some people off but...

I always see an awful lot of .30-06 (in addition to bigger/faster rounds) recommendations in these types of threads, and while the old '06 is a mighty fine cartridge, if this is to be primarily a whitetail hunting rifle, .30-06 seems like overkill to me. Anywhere from .243 to 7mm-08 in a short action, and .25-06 or .270 in a long action is PLENTY. Be more concerned with proper shot placement and bullet construction than muzzle energy or bullet weight. Or maybe the deer where I hunt just die alot easier?

I'll hush now.

I always see an awful lot of .30-06 (in addition to bigger/faster rounds) recommendations in these types of threads, and while the old '06 is a mighty fine cartridge, if this is to be primarily a whitetail hunting rifle, .30-06 seems like overkill to me. Anywhere from .243 to 7mm-08 in a short action, and .25-06 or .270 in a long action is PLENTY. Be more concerned with proper shot placement and bullet construction than muzzle energy or bullet weight. Or maybe the deer where I hunt just die alot easier?
That doesn't tick me off...You hit the nail right on the head. I have killed them with 6MM Remington (many), 7X57 Mauser, .257 Roberts (many), .41 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 Colt, .303 British, .308 Winchester, .375 Winchester, .32 Winchester Special, #4 Buckshot (many), as well as 30-06, and came to the same conclusion.

Except for the "bullet construction" part...all the bullets I used worked, even the many times I killed a deer with the 6MM Remington using an 87 grain Hornady varmint bullet. I found that the classic, behind the shoulder, shot always worked, the bullet jacket would be shed, but the core would exit the off-side...so much for the necessity of having the jacket and core not separate. Bullet placement is the key. Even with the diminutive .223 (people are going to hate this). I have not shot any deer with the .223, but I have a brother who has as has his son, and he had good results (bullet placement again).

Last edited:
dahermit- I think we are actually agreeing about bullet construction as well, maybe I should have elaborated more in my last post. Proper shot placement depends on bullet construction. I have shot deer with my 6mm rem using an 85 gr Sierra HPBT (a popular varmint/predator bullet) but it was always behind the shoulder or in the neck. I've also used 85 gr partitions in the same rifle but those shots were right through both shoulders or quartering shots. My next plans are to try out the 80 gr TSX. I like to switch it up and keep it interesting ;)

I have to agree with 30-06 not being necessity.

I grew up hunting with 243 and it seemed to ruin enough meat as it was without considering the need of a 30-06. heck I though 30-30 was overkill but now that I know a little more about ballistics a 45-70 going nice and slow ruins less meat than a 243 traveling 3200FPS.

however 30-06 is not overkill for deer, it is not the minimum necessary cartridge by a long shot but it is still able to kill without destroying too much meat.

These days with short supply of ammo you might look around and see which calibers are available. It seems that the mist popular ammo is out. Get a rifle that shoots what is available. Anything from .243 to .35 Whelen would suffice.

Check used rack,Be different try 25-06 & reload some you all ready got brass great dual purpose round.Great on deer. Not everybody has one.:cool:

Winchesters new Model 70 is the best version ever produced. In a feather weight its about as good as you will ever get. It certainly equals any of my Sako's in quality but I will give the nod to the M70 as a total package.

I hunt whitetail in Wisconsin, and my 6.5 Creedmoor Savage Model 16 works great! Hornady factory hunting ammunition is cheap compared to 7mm-08 or 260, but can be hard to find.

Though a 6.5x284 Savage Model 116 will be my next buy.

I recently bought a Savage Lightweight Hunter in .270 Win. Haven't found a reason to complain yet.

There's so many really great rifles to choose from. Try going to gun shops and handling a few and see if something jumps out that really fits you. Then ask around if it's a POS or great...

Tony

I've been a Ruger fan for more than 40 years and have never been disappointed. I would suggest 3 different ones.

1. The new Ruger American. I have seen them right around $500 and the reports seem good. Don't own one, but I would get the compact model in .308.

2. A Ruger Hawkeye Compact in .308. Light weight and mine shoots well.

3. Ruger RSI International in .308. Had this one since the first year they came out and it has been a great, easy to carry and a great shooter. Only problem is I think they recently quit making this one. Should be available on the used market.

As you can tell I like compact, light weight rifles in .308. I've hunted most of the Rockies in Wyoming, Montana and Colorado and never had the need for a heavy long barreled gun. Hope you find one you like for the right price.

Interested in a No.1 International in 30'06 with a Leupold 3X9X40?

IMG_20130330_205810_zps1ff811dd.jpg

IMG_20130330_205745_zps681aec90.jpg

IMG_20130330_205728_zps46e5be79.jpg

IMG_20130330_205717_zpsc97e79c8.jpg

For many years I shot low and medium priced rifles and while they were good enough they all required some work to get them to shoot accurately. Then I bought a Browning Stainless Stalker in 3006 caliber and I'll never need another rifle. Since the metal is stainless and the stock is fiber I don't have to worry about all the rain that is part and parcel of the hunting conditions in the N.W. The rifle shot 5/8" 5 shot groups right out of the box!!!! That was with inexpensive Federal ammo that I bought just to fire form the brass so that I had something to reload. Trigger was clean and didn't need any work at all. Although I could have adjusted it easily if need be. It's taken 9 elk with 9 shots and I was only able to recover 2 of the Barnes TSX bullets the other 7 being pass thru's. I use 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets and they are AWSOME!!!!The 2 I did recover were shot between the hams and the bullets went completely lengthwise thru the animal ending up at the base of the skull, perfectly mushroomed with virtually no weight loss!!! If I already had an 06 as you do I'd buy it in .243 win and load it with Barnes TSX bullets. Try it you will like it!!!!

I had to pass on what I think is today's perfect deer rifle (whitetail).... For $750 Cabelas had a NIB Winchester featherweight in .257 Roberts...

My 40+ years go to deer rifle is a small ring Mauser in .257R and a new Featherweight is a classic choice. I believe that the .257R in a new/modern metallurgy receiver is about as perfect as it can get.

The new Ruger American. I have seen them right around $500

Really? MSRP is $449!

If I paid $500 for an RAR I'd expect them to at least kiss me first...:eek:

They are a great rifle but not for that price. If you do a little shopping around you can find them for $350 pretty easily. I've seen them locally for $325 out-the-door.

Back