Looking for a budget pistol

I'd wait and save up a little longer for something you will enjoy long after your current stock of ammo is burned up. You already have a couple of carry guns so you don't have an immediate need to buy something for self defense.

If you can hold out until you've got $300-400 it will open up a lot more options for you.

After reviewing some of the replies in this thread I realise I wasn't very clear, so let me explain a little further.

I currently have 572 rounds of .45acp on hand and no .45 pistols because I sold my SR45. I have posted it for sale/trade on another site, for $200 or trade for the following items:
-Preban Glock 17/19 magazine(s)
-Stripped or complete AR15 lower(s)
-pocket guns along the lines of BG380/SW442/charter arms revolver
-milsurp guns in 9mm/.380/7.62x54r
-Hi Point 995 carbine
-SW SD9ve or SD40ve
-Similarly valued 9mm/5.56/.223 ammo

Generally these were the items I could think of that fit the bill for my wants/needs. Was hoping to pick the brains of some more experienced shooters on what they could think of.

Currently my collection includes:
-SW shield 9
-Glock 19 gen 2
-AR15 built on new frontier lower (which I am wanting to replace with something non polymer)
-Ruger 10/22
-Mosin Nagant 91/30
-Remington 870 express tactical
-Walther P22

I have 9 AR15 preban magazines, so I guess I don't NEED more but I wouldn't hurt. I am looking for guns under 250$ that fill a hole in my lineup or hard-ish to get accessories like pre ban magazines. Based on what I have already, what may be a nice complement to my collection at the 200-250$ (In trade) price range? By now I don't think this thread doesn't seem confined to the pistol it started with lol.

*edit*
Also thinking a used sd9/40ve, low quality sks, and charter arms revolver might fit into this category. As a note, 62 of the rounds be offered are quality JHP.

Last edited:
You can buy a new LCP for what you have to spend, and for any easily concealed weapon you would be hard-pressed to do better in my opinion.

You have no idea of the envy I feel right now. Literally none of the suggested pistols are readily available at market prices here in MA...

An Lcp would be close to 500 if you can even find one.

Here in MA, any handgun you can get for $200 or less is probably going to be complete crap and you're getter off with a can of pepperspray.

That said, if you can stretch your budget to $300 or so, Four Seasons over at Woburn has a some pretty good pre-owned guns in that range in various calibers.

If you're OK with a pump shotgun, I picked my Maverick 88 over at Dick's Sporting Goods on sale for $165 a while back. You should check out what sales they currently have. The Maverick (really Mossberg) defensive models are typically below $200.

FYI, Four Seasons do have a used Ruger SR22 for $250 listed, but I didn't notice whether it was still there this weekend. This is a really good gun and a good choice if you're comfortable with only a .22lr.

Last edited:
Sorry to say, precisely 0 of those guns are widely available in MA through normal channels!

My understanding is that in MA you can still purchase a compliant gun from out of state and have it transferred through a MA FFL. If that is so, then do what everyone else does and start looking on Gunbroker. I'm from a gun friendly state and I stopped buying guns in gun stores years ago because they simply don't carry the guns I want. So, you and I aren't really that different.

Adizzle19 said:
After reviewing some of the replies in this thread I realise I wasn't very clear, so let me explain a little further.

Currently my collection includes:
-SW shield 9
-Glock 19 gen 2
-AR15 built on new frontier lower (which I am wanting to replace with something non polymer)
-Ruger 10/22
-Mosin Nagant 91/30
-Remington 870 express tactical
-Walther P22

I don't get it - you have all those handguns but now want a recommendation on a $200 pistol? How about saving for a couple more weeks / months and buying whatever is affordable and available in your location?

Edit: Then again if that $200 is really burning a hole in your pocket. Check out the Israeli PD surplus handguns this seller has for sale:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?Sort=5&IncludeSellers=2621012

I've bought 2 FN Hi Powers from him. He has bunch of other guns I wouldn't mind owning.

He'll either include a 10rd mag or remove the hi cap mag so the gun can ship to states like yours that have mag limitation laws.

Last edited:
You can buy a new LCP for what you have to spend, and for any easily concealed weapon you would be hard-pressed to do better in my opinion.

Got my son a new LCP for Christmas for $199.

Go to a gun shop and look for used pistols. Sometimes you can find a sweet revolver in working condition, perhaps not the slickest condition, but workable.

Find a SCCY CPX2, and cough up the extra $50 bucks for it
Not sure about the OP's location, but here Farm & Home Supply have them on sale pretty regularly for $199.95. Sometimes the sale even coincides with their "tax free" sale where they give further discounts equal to the state, and look cal taxes making it twoo hundred bucks out the door!

I live far from MA, so don't know what is available/approved there. With that said, an unloved and therefore less expensive semiautomatic family is the Ruger P series. Available in calibers 9mm to .45acp. But I expect it'll also be in the $250-$300 range at best.

Based on what I'm hearing it seems like a decent quality gun is unlikely at this price point. I suppose I'm looking more at stripped lowers,ammo,prebans, or cash instead of trade for any kind of gun unless I get really lucky.

Based on what I've learned about Massachusetts and their gun laws in the last 10 minutes... I have a suggestion:

10Large.png

So this website... The Massachusetts Firearms Roster: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approvedfirearmsroster03-2016.pdf ... makes NO sense to me. I don't even see Springfields on the list anywhere. Bizarre! Who decides this? sigh...

To the topic...
Like you noticed, we aren't probably going to be able to get a good, reliable, quality, able to be bought in MA, etc etc gun for $200. There are options, but they'll miss in at least 1 category. Get a used Maverick 88, or save up a few more months. $400 will get you into some very nice used guns, even $300 might get into more categories.

The pistol roster is ridiculous but fairly easy to get around as long as you're willing to pay. MP pistols and Ruger SR pistols dominate the market because they're on the list. Sell new in store for 500-450 respectively, but there are so many used ones around they run 350-300 or so.

Springfield doesn't submit any pistols for testing cause it costs so damn much.

Based on what I've learned about Massachusetts and their gun laws in the last 10 minutes... I have a suggestion:

If you are pointing that U-Haul south & you get to New Jersey, keep driving! NJ carry permits are like a gold ticket from Willy Wonka (aka "Gov." Chris Christie)

If you don't mind used, check out a big gun auction near you, if any. Real live auction, not on-line. I picked up a very very nice Taurus Model 83 .38Spec revolver for $210. I saw dozens upon dozens of Sig 9mm and .40 Police trade-ins go for less than $300. Dozens of nice Beretta 92FS for $300 to $350. Many revolvers in .32, .38Spec, .357Mag and .44Spec for less than $200. Granted, items went less than normal at this particular auction, but maybe you'll get lucky.

Back