Longer range carry gun

I have shot Hunter silhouette with my match grade 45 ACP. I can hit some of the 100 yard rams.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

"Anyone one else make their regular carry option on the possibility of the occasional longer shot."

I try to, I'd prefer to carry my PPS 40 or CW45 more than my LCP or LCR but that's not always an option and I prefer options.

Besides as g.willikers points out the smaller guns will shoot I can easily keep shots COM at 25 yards even with my LCP it just took a lot more work.

I think living in a more rural setting probably is a big factor. I know my shots may be stretched a little further than some. I shoot all of my guns at 4" plates at 25 yards. I find it makes closer shots a lot easier. I don't carry anything I cant shoot the plates well. I find my 2" Model 60 can run it regular.

Then again urban areas may require more distant of a shot than many take into consideration

Kinda.

I practice longer range shooting on a regular basis with my carry guns, out to about 130 yards. I can routinely hit (or come close enough to break) clay pigeons at various ranges out to that point. What I found is that I can shoot my XD service 40 cal accurately at longer distance than I can my XD service 9mm. But on the flip side I can shoot my 9 more accurately one handed and from weird shooting positions (like from my drivers seat). I am very comfortable placing rapid shots on target within the 7 yard range with little to no difference in time or accuracy with either one from my standard shooting stance.

With that information if I'm going some place that I feel I'll possibly need to confront an attacker outside of the 10 yard range I carry my .40. As far as EDC goes it's really a toss up.

I seriously question the idea of a "longer range" handgun in the stated scenario. A decade back, I often carried a 6" GP100 (not in a CCW scenario)with which I was proficient at extended ranges. Aging eyes forced me to change this selection. I now carry a scoped carbine in my vehicle to augment my 9mm CCW pistol. On the farm, I nearly always have a rifle of some sort within reach for those varmints that show up.

My Glock 19 with TruGlo fiber Optic sights are good to go at 50 yards. And I always carry one of them. (I have two set up the same)

To guess when you might need a self defense pistol, is kind of impossible?
Seven yards, 70 yards? Who knows. But I know a 5 shot revolver in a pocket is not for me!

Sixteen rounds of superbly accurate 147g Ranger T, is a nice comfortable hip padding! The 17 rounds of NATO 124g Hardball, in a spare magazine. That's nice too.
Same gun, same place, always.

You might take a look at the Ruger LCRx 3 inch version in 38 special +p. I got one myself on a trade awhile back, and its unbelievably light. With practice, it'll definitely make those 40-60 yard hits.

I am comfortable both carrying and using my carry guns and I carry at all times (while I'm awake). If I am going someplace that I think is more likely to increase the risk of attack, I will stay home or find a less risky place or time to go. Having a gun is not a good reason to endanger yourself.

originally posted by: walks with gun For many years I've carried a four inch sometimes three inch revolver or some form of 1911, but do to health reasons I've been thinking I'm going to maybe go with something much lighter. I wish I could be happy with a little pocket 380 or 38spl but always feel the need for something more accurate and capable of making regular good hits at 40-60 yards if necessary. Rural farm type area, I've had more trouble with feral dogs and critters than anything else but there is still no shortage of meth heads in the area. Anyone one else make their regular carry option on the possibility of the occasional longer shot.

No, use the same gun and then to paraphrase Herger the Joyous and Benjamin Martin: "aim smaller".

Deaf

I see this thread is a couple months old, so if you are no longer thinking about this, I apologize for the bump, but in case you are still looking...

For many years I've carried a four inch sometimes three inch revolver or some form of 1911, but do to health reasons I've been thinking I'm going to maybe go with something much lighter. I wish I could be happy with a little pocket 380 or 38spl but always feel the need for something more accurate and capable of making regular good hits at 40-60 yards if necessary. Rural farm type area, I've had more trouble with feral dogs and critters than anything else but there is still no shortage of meth heads in the area. Anyone one else make their regular carry option on the possibility of the occasional longer shot.

I do not expect to need to take a long distance shot. Ignoring the should you that so many here have commented on, most self defense needs are short distance anyway (sometimes extremely close distance- I'd worry more about how a gun is at contact distance than long distance, part of why I used to carry a snub when in a carry state since it won't go out of battery if I'm so close to my attacker that the gun is pushed up against him). At longer distances, the chances of getting away/hiding behind cover or concealment is better, and I'll do that if I can. Still, with the occasional mass shooting hitting the news, and occasional concerns of a DC sniper like situation, I do see more and more people online considering guns that would make distance shooting more realistic.

All that said, practicing for distance shooting with your self defense gun is probably a good idea. You never know what is coming, and the better prepared you are for anything, the better. Also, if you are proficient with your gun at 50, 75, 100 yards, the more likely you will be accurate at the more likely 1-5 yards of the typical defensive shoot.

So, all that said, considering your problem of wanting a gun you can shoot relatively long ranges, but needing a smaller/lighter gun due to health reasons, here are some suggestions. You don't need a 1911 or a service revolver to hit at 50-100 yards. With enough practice any gun will do. Still, I see from your post you want something easier than a 2" snub or a pocket .380. If you need to cut back for health reasons, I'm assuming weight more than size is the issue. So, why not a polymer 9mm (if recoil is a problem), or if you prefer a larger caliber a polymer .40 or .45? I'm not really a Glock guy (I don't own any) but since they seem to be the standard in polymer, a full size 9mm Glock 17 weighs only 25oz unloaded and even fully loaded with 17 rounds of 9mm it is just over 32oz (still several ounces lighter than your empty K/L frame revolver or steel framed 1911), the smaller G19 is under 24oz unloaded (and around 30oz loaded). The .40S&W versions don't add much to those weights (an ounce or two), and even the .45ACP pistols are pretty reasonable. If you really do want to go small, my SIG P290RS is nearly a pocket gun, yet it doesn't recoil too badly, and it is as accurate as a bigger gun. A more traditional SIG P239 (hammer fired) or Kahr K9/K40 could be a terrific option if you want something small/light but you prefer metal over polymer.

I think better practical accuracy is an asset at any range. Even at close range, you may not be offered that picture perfect torso shot.

Some guns are easier to shoot well. This is a fact. Those with good mechanical accuracy, good triggers, decent sights and an ergonomic grip will have a very real advantage. This is useful when you don't have time to prone out and take 5 seconds or more to make the shot.

That said, a well made .380 (thinking of a PPK) or .38 snub should be up to the challenge if the shooter is, including familiarity with the exact gun/ammo combo and POI at extended ranges.

Other pocket pistols don't even have proper sights at all or have an atrocious trigger. Seems like quite a hurdle for 50yds or more.

Maybe I am belaboring the obvious, but few people get to choose the range at which a self defense gun might be used, and the one who does is usually the initiator of the action, in this case we assume the "bad guy." The one who is acting in self defense (i.e., the "good guy") may choose not to respond but he/she does not determine the range.

That being said, IMHO, even a small gun, like a favorite of mine, a 3" barrel Chiefs Special, can give good service out to 100 yards or more, but a good deal of holdover is needed to hit at that distance. I think the OP's best choice is not to go with a new gun but to practice at longer ranges with his .38 Special, or better an equivalent size .357, until he has a good chance of hitting an enemy at whatever distance he considers will be the most likely for danger to present itself.

Jim

If I am truly in danger of someone attacking me from 40-50, or more yards because of "meath heads" near my farm, I'm packing my AR15. If it's ferrel hogs I am planning to dispose of it would be my L1A1 FAL.
My opinion is that handguns are for "close encounters of the in my face kind".
Fortunatly in my situation I can not think of a need for shooting at anything much farther than 5 or 10 yards maximum in self defense. Any further would be less likely than being struck by lightning on a sunny day, or winning the lottery without buying a ticket.:D

Even if the attack occurs at close range, you will still be quicker and more accurate with a larger gun. Especially under stress.

You don't get the option of choosing the range of self defense - and you don't always get to choose the gun YOU have when things go in the tank. On your own property in an isolated area is one thing; but strutting down a city street in full battle gear with an M16 at the ready might result in a few questions.

Jim

July 29th, 2012 - Vic Stacy was a private citizen, minding his own business. He came to the aid of a 3rd party, using a 6" Colt Python in .357 Mag. to take down a murderer at a distance of 57 yards. He did not have any trouble justifying his actions.

It can, and does, happen.

Seconding what John K said; I have no idea what range my (hopefully never-to-occur) self-defense shooting might occur at; the range will be the choice of my attacker, since I'm not going to go around initiating shoot-out's.

If the attacker has a rifle, I don't expect them to allow me to waddle back home and retrieve a scoped AR. I'm going to have to fight with that I have.

Larry

the real question isnt what range you might defend at but what range you practice at. 50yds isnt unrealistic in todays world of mall shootings.

the OP is asking about lightweight pistols that are decent shots at around 50yds... not unrealistic in most calibers but might be toughto find something thats lightweight compared to a simple traditional self defense pistol, maybe one of the newer single stack glocks?

I would preferrably suggest one of the "officers commander" series 1911 myself, smaller and lighter than a full size 1911

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/pistols/freedom-series/freedom-series-officers-commander-carry-cco

also available in 9mm might be even lighter?

but do to health reasons I've been thinking I'm going to maybe go with something much lighter. I wish I could be happy with a little pocket 380 or 38spl but always feel the need for something more accurate and capable of making regular good hits at 40-60 yards if necessary

Well, I might have fallen onto the answer of my question, I bought a pretty nice S&W model 15 from my father so he could help fund another gun purchase. I've had a couple others and a half dozen or so other K frames but always traded them off in pursuit of the perfect pistol. This M15 really shoots, has suitably enough power for most of what I'd likely run into and is about 12 ounces lighter than my Commander. I think with a multi angle pancake holster, it might just be what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the ideas and keep them coming.

Back