Long range scope help

Status
Not open for further replies.
military snipers do not pay for their gear. not saying your excellent gear is no good it is very good but you have to realize 95% of shooters cannot afford gear like that. carlos hathcock set records for shots in the field with 10x unertal

So I guess military snipers with powerfull scopes are not real shooters?

That whoosh was the point going over your head.
me said:
If you are a good shot, you should be able to shoot with any sighting system, provided the target is appropriate.

Fundamentals do not change.

I guarantee you a military sniper can shoot just fine with iron sights.

For that budget have you looked at the Nightforce SHV line? I am not a big fan of Vortex myself.

Steiner will be closer to 1800 if that with a discount. Wholesale is around 1500 plus.

I prefer NF, Steiner, and Swarovski (which is over your budget)

Do you have any other glass on other rifles? I sold all my scopes and bought 2 really nice ones and just switch scopes on the different rifles.

And no you won't loose your zero or have a POI shifts. I do it all the time

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Well, he isn't wrong. Your nifty $2500 scopes do not help you shoot, they help you see. If you are a good shot, you should be able to shoot with any sighting system, provided the target is appropriate. If you are unable to shoot well with iron sights (unless you have bad eyes) then you are not as good of a shot as you think you are.

I'm in agreement with about nothing you just stated.

You contradict yourself by saying that a quality optic helps you see- then say you should be able to shoot with "any sighting system".

Ever looked at a 36" target at 1000 yards through cheap glass?
Ever looked at the same target, through a USO or NF?

Are you honestly going to tell me that your ability to (1) obtain a clear point of aim, and (2) hit point of aim is not affected by the quality of the glass?

Then, you insult everyone that doesn't shoot well with irons as being "not as good a shot as you think you are". What a load of B.S....

Shooting with iron sights, and shooting with an optic are completely different acquired skills. Frankly, I don't shoot well with irons, because I choose not shoot with irons. I don't give a rat's azz about them, they don't apply to the type of shooting I do so I never cared to acquire the skill.

Aside from AR's, no one even makes rifles with iron sights anymore.

You may consider them as all-important, but most consider them a holdover from old military rifles and the days before quality, reliable optics. And, save me the speech about optics "failing"...they don't.

FFS.

You guys are reading stuff I did not say.

You contradict yourself by saying that a quality optic helps you see- then say you should be able to shoot with "any sighting system".

Not a contradiction.

I also said, twice, "provided the target is appropriate". As in, an appropriate target for iron sights, generally a big-ass black circle.

Ever looked at a 36" target at 1000 yards through cheap glass?
Ever looked at the same target, through a USO or NF?

Are you honestly going to tell me that your ability to (1) obtain a clear point of aim, and (2) hit point of aim is not affected by the quality of the glass?

Yes, I have shot long range with good glass, and with crappy glass, and with iron sights. I never found the crappy optics to be that much of a disadvantage.

Shooting with iron sights, and shooting with an optic are completely different acquired skills.
Not really.

If someone is a good with a rifle, with a good hold, good trigger control, good at reading the wind, then the sighting system should not matter.

With irons you need to add sight alignment, but if the others skills are solid, that is not overly difficult.

If you are good with a scoped rifle, then you should be able to shoot just as well with iron sights, unless your eyes are bad. Mine are, that is why I stopped shooing service rifle.

You may consider them as all-important, but most consider them a holdover from old military rifles and the days before quality, reliable optics. And, save me the speech about optics "failing"...they don't.

Sorry, where did I say that? I never said any of that.

I said, if you are a good shot with optics, you should be able to shot irons just as well at an appropriate target.

tobnpr you choose not to shoot with irons because you cant do it and you are not that good with a rifle. ANYONE can shoot at long distance with a rest a zeroed scope. after zeroing rifles at 800 yds with little wind the women that were with us made hits at that range and two of them hardly ever fired rifles only 22's. they made fun out of us being it took a while and a lot of figuring to zero the rifles. why would anyone shoot at a 36" target at 1000 yds? we use 4x8 plywood stood up with 48" bull. I have shot with guys with almost every scope you can think of never saw that much difference to justify what they paid.

Yep...sure thing pal.
With a handful of posts you come here and hurl unfounded insults? You know nothing about me- yet you know I'm "not that good with a rifle"?

I'll let the ignorance of your post speak for itself and attempt to remain professional- I'm outta this thread...

And this is why we can't have nice things. I'm closing this bickerfest before I have to decide which of you "gentlemen" I should come down on hardest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back