Long range scope help

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do qualify for Vortex's Mil/LE discount the Viper HS-T is hard to beat for the money if you're on a budget. I have one mounted on my Savage 12LRP 6.5CM and it works great. Being limited to two scopes a year on their Mil/LE program I have to wait a few more months to purchase another and it will be the Golden Eagle HD unless they come out with something new between now and then.

Great discussion guys thank you. I remember when the Marine Corps still had us shooting irons on the rifle range before we switched over to the RCO. IMO, that move took all the basic fundamentals of marksmanship that we instilled in young marines away. Today, these guys don't have a clue how to shoot with back up sights.......anyways, I say that because I can appreciate using irons at the 500 (no sandbagging or bipod).....shooting a target at 1k with irons blows my mind haha!. I should have stated in my post that money was a concern, as much as I want the high end glass $1,000 just isn't in my budget. I'd like to think I'm a good enough shot to do it with a 10x, but based on the general consensus, you guys confirmed the viper HST for me. I wanted to talk myself out of it by buying the PA scope, but I think I'll roll with the vortex and use the mil discount.

Any of you guys know much about Bausch and Lomb optics? Ive got a Browning A bolt stainless stalker chambered in 30-06 (passed down to me from father in law) The rifle was purchased in the early 90's, so I'm assuming the glass was too. I have that thing dialed in at the 2 for hunting.......that old scope may be a good option too. I'm pretty new to scopes and the civ market but it seems like a really nice piece compared to most of the stuff I see in stores selling for a couple hundred bucks. I'm out of town now but off the top of my head I thing that thing may be 6x24x40 or something of the like. I guess I never considered it since it's probably almost a thirty year old scope lol

:D I almost choked while drinking tea when I read this:

"My wife thinks I only have 3 guns"

Try to encourage wife to the new Hobby.
What is true that by encouraging my wife to shooting now don't have access to my AR15, but I have peace of mind at LR :D

I have bought 2 Leupold scopes on sale at Cabellas recently.
VX3I 4.5x14x50 499.00$
VX6 3x18x50 with CDS dial 899.00.
The VX3I sits on top of my new and improved REM SPS 30-06 and love it Im getting old and the more hi power scope gives me more confidence.
Not sure what I'm gonna slide under the VX6 just yet but me being new to this site the influences are welcomed.

Gods words have all the answers!

I would not buy a Bushnell bathtub let along a Bushnell scope for a 1000yd rifle! Nightforce NXS series or ATACR for long range dial up, and yes they have 22X and 25X magnification which is great for getting on target at very long distances. Go pace off 1000yds to get a real feel for the shot you want to take and then tell me how you feel about open sites and Bubba holdover. Most of the internet bloviaters have never shot over 250yds and have no idea of what it takes or the equipment needed to do it consistently.:rolleyes:

That's fine and I know these things can be done with a ton of practice which if you want to put the time in and that's the game you want to play so be it. But the OP wanted to know "which scope" so I gave him my best recommendation based on alot of long range experiance with good equipment. He expressed no desire to play with his ass trying to shoot 1000yds with open sites.:eek:

That's fine and I know these things can be done with a ton of practice

Practice really doesn't enter in to it, at least from a "seeing the target" standpoint. You need to be able to see the target, and if you can see a 1" target spot at 100 yards, you can see a 10" target at 1000.

I have shot out to 1000 yards with a 1943 ~3.5X PU on Mosin Sniper without any problems. You don't need 20+ power, but it is nice to have.

Now you do need practice reading the wind, but for the most part, the scope won't help with that much, except for reading mirage (which you can't do with a 3.5X PU).

I have a Leupold Mk AR mod 1....it has a mil dot reticle and 1/10 mil turrets. It is a 6x18x44. I have it on a 20" stainless bull barrel AR. 67 moa of vertical adjustment and horizontal adjustment (19.6 mil). Using Burris XTR rings and a 10 moa cant, I can zero from 100-900. If I put in a 20 moa set of inserts (which comes with the $89 rings) I could zero from 100-1000 easily.

The 6x18 is around $526
Leupold also has the same model in 3x9 $399
And 4x12 in this model. $480

I am using the 6x18x44 for a slow fire 600 yard match in 2 weeks. I can see impact disks through the scope at 600 yards, or I can see splatter target impact points. It is 2nd focal plane and the reticles in each model are calibrated to the max magnification if you want to do reticle based hold/target calculations.

Jehu Bart B shot a 7 inch group at 1000 yds with a Palma rifle and iron sites. this can be done by real shooters without $2500 25x space telescopes

What's your "setup" for 1K yard shooting?

I have 3 Sako 338 Lapuas all topped with Nightforce ATACR's. I don't punch holes in paper unless I'm sighting in so I need to be able to shoot long distances and consistantly make ethical kill shots. My heartburn was with the previous posters statement that only" real shooters" use open sights. I have great respect for anyone who plays that game and can acheive consistent hits at anything over 500yds especially if there's much wind to factor in, but to imply that shooters who use top notch equipment & science to achieve their goal are not "real shooters" shows how juvenile that poster is!:mad:

topnpr I use a 280 savage action with 26" barrel launching the 162 a max bc .629 at 3000 fps with $150 BSA 6x24 SF etched glass mil dot reticle out to 800 yds so far and see no difference in my buddies expensive scopes but I do leave it on 18x and never move the power

Jehu most people do not have 20k to spend on 3 rifles that shoot $5 a round ammo. I have witnessed tons of people with money to waste try to buy their way in and fail and you were the one insulting people that did not have the expensive gear you have. any body that can shoot at 1000 yds with good peep sites a group like that to me and anyone else that is not a rich know it all is an exceptional shot and to me better then I guy using computers and a hubbel space scope. over 75% of the people do not even make 50K a year so your advice would be excellent given in a country club or at goldman and sachs board meeting. take some pepto bismo you will feel better

Last edited:
My heartburn was with the previous posters statement that only" real shooters" use open sights. I have great respect for anyone who plays that game and can acheive consistent hits at anything over 500yds especially if there's much wind to factor in, but to imply that shooters who use top notch equipment & science to achieve their goal are not "real shooters" shows how juvenile that poster is!

Well, he isn't wrong. Your nifty $2500 scopes do not help you shoot, they help you see. If you are a good shot, you should be able to shoot with any sighting system, provided the target is appropriate. If you are unable to shoot well with iron sights (unless you have bad eyes) then you are not as good of a shot as you think you are.

So I guess military snipers with powerfull scopes are not real shooters? And who mentioned $$? Yes good equipment costs money but I can't help it if you were watching Sponge BoB instead of doing your homework. My "nifty" expensive scopes do help me see to make a good shot because you can't shoot what you can't see and you should'nt shoot at what you can't see clearly!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back