Long range rifle.

As an owner/operator of a .50BMG rifle (EDM Arms Windrunner), I can state that if you feel any recoil, you don't have the right muzzle brake. I've had an 11 year old girl shoot mine (under parental supervision), and demonstrate how gentle it is by touching one off when the butt is two inches from my shoulder. My brake is unfortunately no longer manufactured, but is substantially smaller than the AR50 version. Bystanders are encouraged to stand directly behind the shooter to avoid the blast wave. Long range is fun. It's even more fun when you pulverize a bowling pin with a 600gr HP.

I am looking at a Savage 12 LRP vs a Savage 10 BA Stealth. The 10 seems like a nice set up, but the 12 seems to have a slight advantage for precision distance with the longer, heavier barrel. I'm not going to kid anyone. I'm quite certain both rifles shoot better than I ever will, but can anyone offer their thoughts and suggestions on which direction to go?

Longhorn:

They are pretty different rifles. The 10BA is very tactical. Its trigger probably goes down to 1.5 lbs.

The 12 LRP is actually a true target and has the trigger to go with it (down to 8 oz adjustment)

Neither one is wrong, but the 10BA is more target oriented.

Single shot and you can get one of the Laminated stock ones.

Savage Trigger Note: There are actually 3 different acu triggers.

1. Hunter: Down to 2.5 llbs (you can get a spring to change to 1.5 lbs)

2. Varmint (comes on heavye barrel types): Down to 1.5 lbs , needs sear and spring change to get down to ou9nces)

3. Target: Red blade, only on single shot and LRP. 8 oz or so.

Look at the Savage 12 LRP,its a good rifle to get into long range shooting with,rifle and a decent scope,rings will run between 1500-1800 bucks,pick up some Amax 140 grain and go to town with a good rest,its fun and addicting :D.

Me, I just built my own. 308 and 30-06 and all I need is a range over 300 yds!

If we're going all out there's the Anzio Ironworks 20mm Vulcan bolt action. It weighs like 60-120 pounds, is longer than you are probably tall without a suppressor. They claim a max range of 5000 yards, so 1800 should be doable.

You'll spend like $10 a round, but hey, it's a shoulder fired 20mm cannon

Ok, that's a new one on me, now I have to see how accurate it is. I mean 20mm throws lead around in Vulcan cannon to work, never heard of it as a precision but what the heck. It is more portal than an L/44!

Back