Long range rifle.

If I had $5000 to drop on a rifle purpose built for distances over 1000 yards, I'd have the folks at Accurate Ordanance build me a rifle to do so.

You will find it hard to find anyone complain about their rifles, I never have, just people talking about what an absolute hammer of a rifle they ended up with.

I've shot a few 50 cal's at my club, the greatest aspect of trying a 50 cal is it's puts a HUGE smile on your face, and then you get to give it right back to the owner and you didn't spend $6K on the rifle and $5/round :D

It's taken me a few years of practice to manage the recoil/perceived flinch of my 14# ,braked 300WM and there is no way I would ever be able to manage the recoil of a 50 cal at long range. I quickly learned that shooting 1000+ yds takes a substantial amount of intense focus and muscle/breathing control to stay on target. I plan on taking the Sig "Reach for a Thousand" instructional class again, and this time i'm bringing my .243 ! (Used my 300WM previously and I was pretty sore as I shot about 175 rounds that day)

If you don't like the 6.5, look at the 243 Win.

Ruger dropped the .243Win in the RPR a few months ago and just came out with the 6 Creedmore. I am sure, due to sex appeal, that will be a much better seller than the .243Win. 3100 fps with the 95 grain Hornday SST is a pretty decent load for hunting. 105s, 107s, 108s, and 115s for target shooting. I prefer the 6mms to the 6.5s. Less cost, less recoil and I think a little more versatile. I primarily practice with a 95 grain at 2800 and then shoot the heavies at about 2950. Using the right powder, I am getting great barrel life as well.

Let me make a comparison regarding your stated budget, changing rifles to cars. This is essentially what you are asking:

I want a 2 seat GT car with at least 450HP, my budget is between a entry model Corvette Stingray and a Ferrari 458 Italia.

Both are technically what is being asking for, and very capable cars, and neither will hold back a beginner learning to drive on a track, but not exactly the same, are they?

"...but no local shop has one..." They're not likely to have any rifle even closely suitable to excessive ranges.
Look into Palma rifles. More Palma-like if a magazine is involved. Palma rifles are heavy barreled, single shot rifles weighing around 15 pounds.
And if you want to play with small varmint calibre stuff at very long ranges, you need to learn about ballistics, inside and out. Factory(Hornady) 147 grain 6.5 Creedmoor Match ammo, sighed in at 200, drops 43" at 500.
"...2 seat GT car with at least 450HP..." Sunbeam Tiger. snicker. Wasn't 450 horses though.

Guessing you have private land to shoot on, fantastic!:D
Longest public range in our parts is the Manatee Gun Club, down in Myakka City. 1,000 yards (there last weekend) is "it"...had plans to extend to one mile but didn't pan out and it's dead in the water.

Nowhere did the mention of handloading come up that I saw above, which is critical to what you're trying to do. Learning to shoot long range involves a lot of rounds sent downrange, and handloads will provide the best accuracy AND the cheapest cost.

That said, I'd recommend a capable 1000 yard rifle first- and there are many in the 6-7mm that'll get your round count and experience up without killing your wallet- or your barrel.

Sure, you can "learn" on a .338 LM- but why burn up a magnum barrel while you learn?

If I were you, and really had a location around here where I could stretch to 1800 yards (is that what's available where you plan to shoot?), I'd pick up a factory Savage (like the 6.5 LRP) or Rem 700 and get experience handloading, doping the wind and hitting what you're aiming at 1000 yards.

Then I'd move up to a .338 LM or bigger wildcat that'll get you to the 1800 you're talking about.

tobnpr- You are correct it is on private land that I will be shooting max will be 1200 yards. But I will be spending the summer in the midwest and will be able to shoot out to 1800 yards. I currently reload every round that I shoot and plan on doing that for this rifle also.

I have read a lot about the 6.5 Creedmoor and would love to find one of the RPR chambered in 6.5. It seems that finding a rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor is almost impossible locally right now.

This is just a rifle for me to get some long range practice since I have never shot long range before. If things work out and I like shooting long range then I will up grade to a custom rifle.

Have you looked at the Savage 12LRP?

If you'd like to give long-range a "shot" pm me and I'll let you know next time we head to Manatee. Happy to let you drive our rifles...Long range is addicting, something about hearing that steel clang 4 or 5 seconds after you pull the trigger :D

Single shot in .7mm Magnum or .270 Winchester with a 28 inch barrel.

IF you ever find a better solution to the problem, please send me your solution.

Single shot in .7mm Magnum or .270 Winchester with a 28 inch barrel.

IF you ever find a better solution to the problem, please send me your solution.

L/44 Rhineemetal 120 MM off the M1 Abrahams tank!

Great sighting system that accounts for everything including that ant walking down the barrel.

Sub MOA and you don't limit yourself needlessly.

If we're going all out there's the Anzio Ironworks 20mm Vulcan bolt action. It weighs like 60-120 pounds, is longer than you are probably tall without a suppressor. They claim a max range of 5000 yards, so 1800 should be doable.

You'll spend like $10 a round, but hey, it's a shoulder fired 20mm cannon.

Look up Martin List in Oklahoma. He is well known machinist who continually puts together top notch rifles, notibly his wife shoots .2 to .5 MOA at 1000 yards.

Your going to be hard pressed to get any civilian cartridge out to 1800 yds while maintaining reasonable bullitt stability. Most all the "faster" LR calibers are going transonic around 1500 yds. Your only realistic and consistiant chance at 1800 yds will be again the 300 win mag or the 338 LM. You might be able to borrow/ rent a suitable rifle without having to commit to such a large caliber.

Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmore. It is more than accurate for you to start with and if you shoot the barrel out you can simply rebarrel it. It will get you out past 1200 pretty easily. You can get all the basics down, and it will not cost you near what a custom rifle would. You can use the extra money to get a good reloading setup, powder, bullets, and primers, because to get the most out of a good rifle, you will have to reload.

I am looking at a Savage 12 LRP vs a Savage 10 BA Stealth. The 10 seems like a nice set up, but the 12 seems to have a slight advantage for precision distance with the longer, heavier barrel. I'm not going to kid anyone. I'm quite certain both rifles shoot better than I ever will, but can anyone offer their thoughts and suggestions on which direction to go?

I got a call on Tuesday from one of my local gun shops. They received one RPR in and I was next on the list. So I am a proud new owner of a RPR Gen2 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Now I am looking at scope options and bipod options for it.

I am looking at using this scope Viper HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1 (MRAD) Reticle | 30mm Tube that I have already in my safe. Or I may get the Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP XLR (MOA) Reticle | 30mm Tube for on it.

Longhorn, I'd go with the 12 LRP over the 10 BA Stealth. I did and don't regret it one bit. My LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor wears a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 mil/mil scope on a 20moa 1-piece base. It's quite accurate for sure.

This should raise some outbursts....

Kid on YouTube does a mile with a 6.5 Ruger American.
Could it be bull sheet? Sure but I was convinced

Back