Long Distance Handgun Shooting

I was out 4-wheeling the other day and decided to take a pot shot at a jack rabbit at about 50 yards with my 3 inch revolver. Missed it by about 2 inches. Made me want to practice long range hand gun shooting more.
Agree whole heartedly that long range shooting does help solidify the fundamentals (especially of sight picture) and that it may have application for active shooter applications as stated above.

Just got back from the range and we were busting clays with iron sighted handguns at 125 yards. We were shooting off sandbags on the bench, using a 6" smith 686, a Ruger Gp-100 match champion, a Buckmark target, and a 7 3/8" smith 41.

No, we didn't hit them often, but we sure scared the heck out of them once we dialed in the range.

My smith 41 was able to hit 3 clays with one mag, so I declared victory and called it a day.

I don't do long distance for two reasons

1) my indoor range is only 25 yards max
2) I don't have the cash to enjoy the long distance ranges near me unfortunately.

I can make accurate shots out to 25 yards and that's good for me, I train for self defense. If I wanted long range hand gunning I'd get a long barreled revolver of some sort to play around with. Also after 25 yards in a self defense situation id try to assess if running were an option if the BG is armed otherwise if he's not and has some sort of physical weapon I'd be running the heck out of there. And if he was armed if probably want something more substancial than my handgun.

^^^
Unfortunately, that's often the case with many of us.
But a suitably smallish target at 25 yards will provide the skill, practice and confidence that's necessary for the longer shots, too.

^^^^ Look at what Appleseed does with their rifle course at 25 yards. A postage size target at 25 yards simulates a 200 yard shot. So all of us can shoot at 100-200 yard distances on a 25 yard range. All in the size of your target

I think everyone who can, should try their hand at long(er) range handgun shooting. If only to show you what you can, and cannot do. And, so you don't get stuck in a rut. ;)

A couple of examples, one fictional, one real,

TV show Justified: Night: bad guy has just dug a grave to bury his dog. Hero shows up to take him in. Hero's gun holstered. Bad guy is big knife guy, has mentioned a couple times earlier about the "21foot rule" (supposed distance where knife guy can get to you before you can draw and get him). Tells hero about the "rule", hero basically says "we'll see" or something like that. Bad guy charges, hero starts to draw....

Hero never finishes his draw, as bad guy falls into open grave, falls on his knife, dies.

Real world:
Friend of mine was a bow hunter. Practiced all summer of the 40 yard shot (long range). Got really good. That fall, buck at 25yds, he shoots, misses. Shot right over him.

The point is, when you practice just one thing, you get good at it, BUT that thing might not be the right thing for a given situation. Fictional bad guy was so focused on his "drill" he forgot about the hole in the ground between him and his target.

My friend the bow hunter, practiced his long range shot a lot, and unconsciously held for that shot, when the deer was much closer, and missed, because of it.

For all the exclusive 7 yard speed shooters out there, you're probably right, and what you practice for is probably what you will need, if you ever need it. BUT, Murphy has a dark sense of humor, and the odds are a coin toss whether the skill you practice will be the one needed. I can's see where at least some practice at longer range isn't useful.

If your bowhunting friend had attended 3D matches, with the targets at unmarked distances, he would be better prepared.
Same for the action type gun games; the targets are all at unmarked distances.

G.willikers I always know at what range I'm shooting, or at least where I start when moving. Starting and shooting at random distances is a great idea. Thanks.

Long Distance Handgun

I run and shoot in Hunter Pistol Silhouette/Cowboy Lever Action matches at my gun club. And we shoot at distances from 40mm out to 100mm for .22lr and center fire pistol calibers. And from 50mm out to 200mm for rifle calibers. And we do have some shooters that do shoot pistols that are chambered is rifle calibers. I do practice shooting most of my pistols any where from 11yds out to 300yds. And I also hit at 300yds with my .22lr pistol as well. And I do get people looking at me when I do it. And it's fun to do it. But it also depends on what I'm practicing for when I do shoot out at long distances. But it does raise some eye brows when I hit the targets at 200 and 300yds with my hand guns.

I remember getting admonished or ridiculed in other forums because I would make statements about shooting my 1911 at 100 yds and hitting the target 5 out of 7 times. I've always believed in mastering your skills with all your guns, especially your carry gun, as it educates you in the capabilities of your gun as well as your skills.

I've gotten good enough where I can hit golf balls at 80 yds consistently, with my browning buckmark, and have hit a clay target at 200 yds once only. It helps if your back drop allows you to see the impact of the bullets so that adjustments can be made readily.

I hope I never have to use my gun at 10 feet or closer or at one hundred yds, but I feel confident in my skills should I ever become involved in a live shooter situation like at a movie theater and the only course is self defense. Those theaters are bigger than 25 meters.

Reloader54, I'm just messing with you! Sounds like you are quite good at long range with a handgun. I probably could hit a dump truck at 300 yards, if I had a few rounds to zero in on it!

Reloader54, I'm just messing with you! Sounds like you are quite good at long range with a handgun. I probably could hit a dump truck at 300 yards, if I had enough ammo to zero in on it!
K_Mac, not a problem. I had a brain fart. I meant meters and put millimeters instead.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've gotten good enough where I can hit golf balls at 80 yds consistently, with my browning buckmark, and have hit a clay target at 200 yds once only. It helps if your back drop allows you to see the impact of the bullets so that adjustments can be made readily.

I wish I could see a golf ball at 80 yards... :(

Back