level of accuracy for IDPA

I have become fairly well acquainted with IDPA and its "Time Plus" scoring over the past 18 years and quite enjoy it. (I also comprehend IPSC "Hit Factor" scoring.) But it has its limitations. The novelty factor driving stage design makes it difficult to track progress, especially since so many people turn up their noses at the Classifier. So many that the Classifier is no longer required so long as you shoot a sanctioned match a year in each Division you wish to compete in.

I track my performance relative to shooters of known ability; I do not subscribe to the common nonsense "I only compete against myself." But that is not as precise as my old ATA and PPC or more recent F Class and BPCR scorebooks with exact scores for years of work.
I can tell when practicing at the less-short ranges that I am not as accurate as I was when shooting PPC. Faster, yes; wilder, yes.

I never got into NRA AP, nobody around here has the elaborate setup. But I figure that if somebody shoots a 1920/192, then there will be a race to see who can do it next. If equipment and technique get so good as to lead to concern with frequent clean ties, they can treat it like they did F Class. When it looked like there would be too many 200 possibles shot, they halved the size of the target.

The chances of me shooting a tier 2 or higher match is minimal, too many obligations at home. So I track my progress by my classifier scores.

Oh, good.
Too many people find the Classifier... boring.
Bill Wilson says he prefers Standards, most members like the novelty and entertainment of scenario stages.

I find it a good measure of shooting ability, not full of tricks and mind games you find in scenarios. They are fun, but they are always different. The classifier is a constant. Working on improving in CDP presently.

I shoot those action games. IDPA, USPSA etc. When I look at the results I'm at the top of the list when it comes to hit factor.

Then they add time. that always puts me in the bottom half. I"m 68 with COPD and I just cant compete in the speed department. I cant load as fast as most.

I hate to say this but if that's all I was gonna shoot, I'd work on speed above all else.

I've had people whip my but buy dumping a multi round mag at targets while I'm getting good hits with my revolver.

If you want to be competitive work on speed. you get enough rounds down there fast enough you'll get the hits.

But I shoot for fun, I shoot against my self, plus I carry a revolver so I still want to shoot a revolver in these matches.

But USPSA-IDPA does help my revolver shooting. When I was doing my yearly LEOSA qualification I shoot against recent retirees who were using semi's. I smoked their butts, even in the reloading department using speed loaders vs. magazines. It makes it all worth while when I smile and say.
"REAL COPS USE REVOLVERS"

There's lots more courses of fire in the NRA Action Pistol rule book than just the falling plates and the mover.
There's no need to use the same ones over and over.
It's only the mover that costs a lot and there's really no need to have it.
The falling plates is the most entertaining and they are not hard to make, without spending a fortune.
There's even an alternate version using paper targets.
The biggest obstacle to experience an AP match is mostly the lack of them.
Not that many currently active action style match competitors probably have ever had the opportunity to even try one.
It will probably take another organization adopting the game for it to gain any traction, though.
And they could modify it to suit the modern age.
For guys like me and kraigwy, and all the other aging but still active folks, it's a game that can extend our match days.

Shooting a revolver in the action events is an easy win.
If you don't do well, so what? Nobody expected you to.
If you DO do well, you have amazed the run of the mill plastic plunker.

35 yards is the maximum distance allowed in IDPA for a standards (skill) stage.

The maximum for a scenario stage is 25 yards.

I shoot those action games. IDPA, USPSA etc. When I look at the results I'm at the top of the list when it comes to hit factor.

Then they add time. that always puts me in the bottom half. I"m 68 with COPD and I just cant compete in the speed department. I cant load as fast as most.

I hate to say this but if that's all I was gonna shoot, I'd work on speed above all else.

I'm 56 years old and overweight. I am never going to outrun the young guys on the stage.

I also compete against myself (kind of). Until IDPA came out with the new CCP division my gun put me at a disadvantage because I was shooting a Glock 27 (40 caliber sub-compact) in the SSP division. That meant that I was giving up an inch or more in barrel length/site radius, 7 ounces in recoil absorbing weight, and a half an inch and one finger on the grip. I was also shooting using factory full power ammo which is quite a handful in a sub-compact.

I shot (3) tier 2 matches like that, with my goal being to not finish last in my division. (The very first match I ever shot including club matches was the Michigan State match.) I managed to stay off the bottom of the list so I was quite happy and hooked on IDPA.

I still am shooting the 27, but now I reload my ammo to reduce recoil a little and save cost, I also bought ten round mags to give me three fingers on the grip. The new CCP division means I don't have to shoot against the largest guns but my 27 is still shorter and lighter than the Glock 19 and 23 that fit the CCP division.

Go out, have fun, try your best, be happy when you get the down zero.

Last edited:
IDPA was built around the idea of EDC gear. That means stock guns. If youve been practicing for 9 months you are waiting to long, GO HAVE FUN!
Dont try to compete your first few matches, just work on safe handling and keep the instructions of each stage in your mind so you get clean shoots with no proceedurals.

Shooting a revolver at IDPA is fun. I came in second after a national champion.

Oh, only two people were shooting revolvers that day. ;)

IDPA does have the risk of moving away from carry guns - very few really carry Glock 34s but they are popular. The new cateories like CCP are attempts to move that back. However, the magazine and round limits make little sense.

Speed in which you can move and shoot decently is more important than most accurate. Unless you want the most accurate award instead of division champion.

You are ready to go. You don't need 9 months of practice for most IDPA stages. Get out there!
Yep :D

When I shot IDPA, I was typically in the top 2 or 3 at local matches and top 10 at state matches. I also typically had less points down and a raw time that was slower than most of my closest competitors. Was 6th at KS state one year and 6 points down in a match that had about 250 rounds. IDPA tends to reward accuracy over speed. But you still need to move quick.

Last edited:
MarkCO said:
IDPA tends to reward accuracy over speed.

Compared to USPSA, IDPA scoring places a bit more emphasis on accuracy, but IDPA still rewards the best balance of accuracy and speed. As jmorris suggested, the top shooters at big matches are among the more accurate, but the most accurate shooter rarely wins.

IME, the best balance - the sweet spot - is when time added from points down is roughly 8 - 12% of your raw time (with no other time added).

hmmm...never thought about it that way, 8-12% of your score from points down

last match: total time 55.70 seconds (3 stages), 14 points down=7 seconds

7/55.70=12.57%. most accurate was 13 points down for the day, and he went slower.

8 points down was from a partly missed drop turner, one exposure, only hit it once in the -3 area, so -5 for the miss.

However, the magazine and round limits make little sense.
The round limits are in line with a certain state that is prone to earthquakes. I believe the intent was to have one standard nationwide.

I like it myself as it cuts out an additional racegun variable. Everyone is the same.

1-DAB said:
hmmm...never thought about it that way, 8-12% of your score from points down

I think it's a useful rule of thumb. From what I've seen, the best scores will come in at the lower half of that range, though I have seen a shooter occasionally do well at the upper end. Much beyond that, though, is too many, and is a good sign the shooter's shooting beyond their control. Regular HNTs and FNs are another good indicator. ;)

BTW, out of curiosity, I checked the scores of our last match - the top 4 shooters occupied positions 3, 4, 5 and 7 (of 45) on accuracy, with an average "% dropped" of 9.1% (±0.5%). The most accurate (2.4%) placed 16th overall.

i came in 5th out of 14 overall. i was shooting CDP (MM), 1-4 were shooting ESP and SSP, all SS and EX

1- 23.67% SSP-EX
2- 18.2% ESP-SS
3- 19.31% SSP-EX
4- 19.16% SSP-SS

5(me)- 12.57% CDP-MM

so by this theory, they are hosing too much and should aim better.

most accurate was 8.45%, 9th

1-DAB said:
so by this theory, they are hosing too much and should aim better.

Well, yes. They might do well in their local match when they're up against other EXs and SSs who're hosing as well, but in bigger matches, they'll need to reign it in to do well enough for a match bump.

I'm curious how long they've been EX and SS? I've known numerous frustrated EXs and SS who've plateaued there, but don't seem to realize they continually shoot beyond their control. It's no coincidence that good Masters who win are a lot closer to the top of the accuracy standings than the bottom.

Back