Lets talk patches

No idea on the Castor oil....never heard of anyone using it. I don't even know if it's water soluble. You can pick up a bottle of Murphy's pretty cheap, and mixed up it will probably last you for years. I've never heard of it leaving a residue before. It is all water soluble, so there is nothing to create problems as far as I am concerned.
There are lots of things out there to accomplish the same task....this is just one that has worked well for me.

I tried your technique with the Windex/Castor Oil mix today. Seemed to work OK. The Castor Oil came up in another thread where a guy used a 5:1 mix of denatured alcohol to castor oil. Soak the patches and let them dry. The water evaporated but the oil remained, but the patch felt dry. I tried that type of patch too. It worked but I still had to swab after a few shots.
Thanks.

Letting the patches dry probably isn't going to do you much good. I mist the patch and load it, the purpose being to pick up some of the fouling as I seat the next round ball, and some of the Murphy's will still be there for lubrication purposes.

No idea on the Castor oil....never heard of anyone using it. I don't even know if it's water soluble. You can pick up a bottle of Murphy's pretty cheap, and mixed up it will probably last you for years. I've never heard of it leaving a residue before. It is all water soluble, so there is nothing to create problems as far as I am concerned.
There are lots of things out there to accomplish the same task....this is just one that has worked well for me.
Old Stoney, I am a fan! I tried your mix today and it worked amazingly well. 10 rounds and not once did I need to swab or put lots of extra pressure to seat the PRB. The only thing I can't figure out is after the 4th shot, they all started flying high. Still around the center vertical line, but about 5" higher. Could that be due to a warm barrel?

Can't really relate to the shots going high. I'd keep shooting the rifle using the same exact technique for every shot and see if things stabilize for you. The only thing I can think of that might cause something like that is perhaps the creation of a slicker bore as the Murphy's lubes things up...but that is a lot of movement. Keep at it and you'll get a handle on the whole procedure.

I,ve often use long precut strips lubed w/ Crisco.
I sewed a button on the strap of my possibles bag (chest high), cut a slit near one end of the strip, and hang it off the button. To use, pick up the long end and lay it across the muzzle.

Just lazie in my case, cutting at the muzzle gives just right patch at the right time and I don't have to sort threw any thing or try to center them. I cut a long strip and put it in my pouch and have a few strips at home. Then if I grab the 40, 50, 54, or 58 I have the right size patches.

Back