Let's speculate

I have a Shield and no desire to buy a 365 or one of the new Glocks. I don't really feel like a 365 with 21 rounds is materially more effective as an EDC than my Shield with 16 rounds. My Shield (with a couple of minor mods) fits my hands well and it's been a really reliable little pistol that I enjoy shooting. If I want to carry more firepower I would just go to my 2.0 Compact which is obviously a larger gun and with that comes more rounds in an easier shooting platform.

I may be different than some but I feel like I've got my polymer defensive pistol bases covered at this point and I don't have much desire to buy more handguns in that same class just for the sake of having them. I'd rather get more proficient with what I have and/or branch into other types of pistols I may like to own but don't have yet.

Eh, more rounds=more weight. I like to keep my CCW under 22oz loaded on my hip for all day carry/comfort. If these subcompact 9mm keep adding more rounds, I might as well just carry a bigger gun with the same weight for a better sight radius/handling.

I imagine more red dots will be coming to the pistol market soon.

The Mossberg MC1sc has my attention at the moment. I like the disassembly with the easy to clean striker+channel.

Lots of folks seem to forget what you just mentioned. More ammo = more weight.

At some point, adding more rounds makes the pistol heavier (in its loaded condition) and because each round requires a specific amount of volume (''space'' that it takes up), at some point, if capacity is to increase, so must the size of the gun. There is a balance between capacity and size/mass in there somewhere.

It is possible to make a gun so small that, while it is easy to conceal, handling/control becomes an issue.

Personally, I think that the G19 is very ''well-balanced'' in that regard with the G43 being about the smallest size that I can handle before the gun becomes too small to handle/control with any degree of accuracy/fluidity.

Ultimately, the individual's ''comfort level'' (grip size, weight, fit, capacity, etc.) dictates what is ''best'' (that's a highly subjective criterion, too).

In keeping with the OP's 'wish list' request, I'd like a gun the size of a G43 that never wears out or runs out of ammo. :D

You can be comfy with a firearm and have more rounds. Statistically speaking you likely don't even need a firearm in the first place, yet many of us carry one still. Some want more capacity still. The 365 isn't as wide as a Glock 26, noticeably so.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Glock 43x thinner, same rounds than the Sig 365..I think a more accurate comparison...

It is possible to make a gun so small that, while it is easy to conceal, handling/control becomes an issue.

I find the P365 to be a bit hard to control -- and moving up just slightly to even a Walther PPS M2 makes it easier for me to shoot. Something about the P365 is just a little too small for my liking, so for me it falls into this category you've named. I felt the same about the Kahr CM9.

Personally, I think that the G19 is very ''well-balanced'' in that regard with the G43 being about the smallest size that I can handle before the gun becomes too small to handle/control with any degree of accuracy/fluidity.

A Glock 43X/48 with the rumored 15-round aftermarket magazine would bring the balance and capacity of a G19 to the width of the G43. Weight would have to be very nearly identical when loaded. So if the reduced width makes a difference to someone's comfort or concealment, then it would be a perfect solution. I personally find that I can conceal a single stack much better than a double stack, with that 0.3" actually making a difference in how much of a lump is created under my clothing.

The 43X/48 can hold 10 rounds in the same space that my Walther holds 8. Big whoop. If the aftermarket magazine really becomes a thing, then it would hold 15 in the space that my Walther holds 8. That's basically doubling capacity -- and yes, weight -- but it's actually notable in my opinion, and not just "Oh dear God, another Glock?!?!"

Or as I heard someone remark yesterday, only Glock could change the color of an existing gun and sell it as a new product (19X), then change the color back again and sell it as yet ANOTHER new product (45)!!! :D

(And yes, I know they made the grip longer -- humor, people, humor!)

I tried out the 43, 43X, 48, and 365 then bought another Shield.

For more capacity I have a G19.5.

As far as optics go, I have been considering a G17.5 MOS to go with the ACRO at some point.

It hasn't been that long ago that the grip length was widely held to be the biggest factor in concealment. I for one still think it is. The new Glock models don't appeal to me for that reason. Increasing the capacity doesn't change my mind. I'm a dinosaur, still carrying a G26. It conceals well and comfortably for me - kind of hits the sweet spot.

I’m not sure if glock owners will have enough enthusiasm for another go after G43x/48

Some had no enthusiasm before the G43x/48.

It hasn't been that long ago that the grip length was widely held to be the biggest factor in concealment. I for one still think it is. The new Glock models don't appeal to me for that reason. Increasing the capacity doesn't change my mind. I'm a dinosaur, still carrying a G26. It conceals well and comfortably for me - kind of hits the sweet spot.

Some had no enthusiasm before the G43x/48.
Grip length is most important for me..still looking for a Glock 26..Even the Glock 42 is a little 'taller'..width isn't the big issue for me.

Doesn't this belong in the 'why I hate glock' section?
How mediocre? $450, very reliable, very accurate, 10 rounds..great ergonomics..Oh, I see, it's from Glock so....->'mediocre...got it..

Mediocre because the "new" pistols do not have anything really "new". The company is counting upon marketing and reliance upon brand loyalty. It does not matter who the manufacturer is and it belongs in this thread which speculation about the "new" Glocks impact on the market and other pistol designers.

Nothing innovative or new = NO IMPACT.

;)

There's already a Glock hating thread that's up to something like 14 pages :)

Does anyone think these sorts of new trends -- more ammo in smaller guns, optics, whatever -- will carry over to other calibers? Or is 9mm so ubiquitous that it's the only place where we'd see any investment in innovation?

Optics don't change by the caliber. Magazines would. Would someone bother doing this for other calibers? Have they yet? To me that's telling. I see used and new 40SW pistols at prices that must be just about at invoice, and yet they don't sell. Why would manufacturers really bother? Glock hasn't even bothered to release a Gen 5 in 40SW or 45ACP, neither has CZ with the P10 or SIG with the P365.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OhioGuy
Does anyone think these sorts of new trends -- more ammo in smaller guns, optics, whatever -- will carry over to other calibers? Or is 9mm so ubiquitous that it's the only place where we'd see any investment in innovation?

I hope so. I would love to see a G42X. Hear me Glock?

Mediocre because the "new" pistols do not have anything really "new". The company is counting upon marketing and reliance upon brand loyalty. It does not matter who the manufacturer is and it belongs in this thread which speculation about the "new" Glocks impact on the market and other pistol designers.

Nothing innovative or new = NO IMPACT.

;)
I guess but a single stack, 10 round, 9mm ‘seems’ to me somewhat innovative. Who else makes a single stack, 10 round 9mm...w/o a magazine extension? That ‘market’ seems to attracted SIG... but ‘Glock’ so stodgy...I guess.

Obtw-anecdotal only but the 3 LGS I frequent cant keep the 43x in stock but probably an anamoly...or maybe not...donno.

I guess but a single stack, 10 round, 9mm ‘seems’ to me somewhat innovative. Who else makes a single stack, 10 round 9mm...w/o a magazine extension? That ‘market’ seems to attracted SIG... but ‘Glock’ so stodgy...I guess.

Obtw-anecdotal only but the 3 LGS I frequent cant keep the 43x in stock but probably an anamoly...or maybe not...donno.

Wouldn't mind seein' Glock do a version of the S&W 3906---in polymer of course.

I guess but a single stack, 10 round, 9mm ‘seems’ to me somewhat innovative.

One of the first modern concealable pistols to hit market in 1996 had a 10rd 9mm single stack mags available. We had them available in the service.

http://www.americanspecialops.com/special-ops-weapons/sig-p239.php

Of course, it is new and Glock has a huge following.

Last edited:
I see more manufacturers offering optics cuts from the factory; they are becoming more and more prevalent, even on CCW.

Not necessarily a conventional pistol, but I see more modular platforms hitting the market to take advantage of the pistol-braces. More like PDW type pistols; too large to really CCW, but a good options as a fun gun with extended magazines and an optic. RONI STAB, Fire Control Unit, Flux, etc...not everybody's cup of tea, but extremely innovative within the legal realm without going full on NFA.

One thing is for certain, despite some 2A challenges in the political realm, we are living in very fun times with the enormous amount of options, offerings, choices, and innovation.

ROCK6

Back