• Pepper Spray

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I do not carry any less than lethal weapons

Votes: 20 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
there is a world of difference between watching something on video....than real world experience ....

ya can watcha video about riding a unicycle and juggling.....does not mean its easy to do

not one of us will carry a firearm WITHOUT range time...to PROVE its reliability...consistency....

roashooter,

Do you shoot real live people so you can test whether or not the ammo performs as manufacturers claim? People are not made of ballistic gelatin you know. You gotta be safe.

Do you crash you car to make sure the airbags really work? What about the crumple zones?

:rolleyes::p:D:D

I'm not picking on you. There are some departments that require officers to get tazed and pepper spayed so they know what it feels like. Officers carry guns and batons as well. Should be be shot and beaten too?

I'll mention one thing about OC. Change it out periodically. I had some Fox sprays and after a couple of years, decided to test them against a tree (dangerous tree) - no pressure left in them.

Flashlight and "kubotan"....in actuality, a folding knife with an oversized grip and strong liners that allow me to use it as a kubotan while the blade is folded. I may add OC spray to the mix for places where I can't carry my pistol.

I have not lived a sheltered life, my wife was helping one of our granddaughters with her home work, the 10 year old granddaughter was asking about help with 'events'; she mentioned one event and for some reason my wife said "your grandpa was there". I never know where her comments come from my granddaughter said "he could have been killed". And then there are my wife's responses (same thing, I never know where her responses come from) but she added "he came closer to getting killed in Houston, and then there was San Antonio and Galveston.

I know the rules, call 911, tell someone to get a lawyer, instruct them to get a restraining order or a divorce etc. but when someone says "help me please" they buy into my program lock, stock and barrel. Anyhow, this lady said "get me out of here, please" and, I said OK, that was the about the time all hell broke loose.

F. Guffey

I would remember an important factor when considering any of these: reach. In the case of a bad situation that was unavoidable, ask "how could I hit the BG before he can hit me". If he has only fists, any item (depending on arm length and taking skill/training out of the equation) would out reach his. If he has a knife, a baton/stick/staff would out reach that. Kind of like the story where the 13yr old kid broke the arm of a knife wielding assailant with a stick from earlier in this thread. That's why I would rule out up-close-and-personal items like those non-shooting tasers. However, on the other end of the spectrum, a 20-30 year old man walking around with a large walking stick may get you strange looks unless hiking. Though it would definitely outreach any other non-firing items.
I feel like you answered your own question from the start though, since your state has restrictions on things like batons. I would only use the good pepper spray that is really potent and can shoot a fairly accurate stream at a good distance. My wife had one of those key chain pepper sprays. We knew it was crap from the start, but she tested it (shooting the fence in the backyard, not on me haha) and it shot a 1 second stream of maybe 3 feet and then quickly petered off to a drip. Do not buy cheap/crappy pepper sprays!
Also mentioned in the thread was the use of a small yet super bright flashlight for blinding purposes. I completely agree and do carry one of these around...as well as my pistol. But even if I didn't carry a pistol, I think one of those flashlights would be beneficial to have on you.
EDIT: Post got me curious, so did some Googling. An odd-ball choice is a small and sturdy chain. Below is the link for one from Amazon. Seems like a good idea, but would need some training. Harder to swing a chain/rope/whip than a stick.
https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-outd...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JEPE6AVY5BQCXWMJ7VZT

Last edited:
Martial arts can be considered a deadly weapon and the use of any form of technique that can break bones or cause death is considered lethal force.

Having a "less than lethal" alternative is a good idea however, when you choose to use it and are wrong you are in trouble. If you are not in fear of life or limb you can walk away.

Back