Less Common CCW Calibers

I've carried a .32acp FN 1910 (if it's good enough for JMB, its good enough for me), an old .38 S&W break top, and a .22wrm NAA Sheriff.

I occasionally carry my French S.A.C.M. 1935A pistol in 7.65mm French caliber (.32 French Longue). Yes, I reload for it, as if I didn't I wouldn't be able to get ammo! lol.

I "usually" carry a 1911 in 45acp. I often rotate in 1911's in both 9mm and 40S&W.

I will occasionally carry a 1911 in 10mm, and once in awhile I'll get a wild hair and tote around a Colt SAA in 45LC or 44 Spec.

Todd

I have not done so yet, but I am considering carrying my Star Super in 9mm Largo. Smaller than a 1911, a bit more concealable, but still feels like my 1911.

David

I HAVE carried ridiculous things like a .44 cal Cap & Ball 1851 replica and a 7.5" Super Blackhawk before. It was 20 years or so ago, and it was all I owned at the time. I was compelled to start my CCW life with the tools at hand, but soon moved on to better guns, like a Star M43 Firestar and a 70s series BHP.

Last edited:
In the early 80's, as a teen, and lacking money to buy a better sidearm, I carried an old Nickel H&R Premier .32 S&W 5 shot Revolver for a couple years when woods loafing and fishing. Little 88 grain lead roundnose pill (The short .32, not the Long one), fired about the same speed as a Crossman BB gun with 5 pumps, you could see the bullet on the way to the target. Pretty weak, but better than nothing. Still have that gun Too! Then I got a Rossi model 88 3" .38 Special around 1985. Very nice upgrade!

I rely on .327 Federal in warm weather. I think it opens up a sweet spot in the balance between power, control, size, and capacity. When it's cold and I'm wearing enough for a double-stack semi, the balance naturally shifts that way.

My wife used to carry a 3" Rossi 44 Special. It was a great little 5 shot revolver that I used to load with soft lead hollow points. Thankfully, all she ever had to kill with it were paper targets at the range. She could really hit with it too!

It disappeared from our house one day when the only people who could have possibly taken it were family members or neighbors.:(

In the early 90's, for about a year before I foolishly traded it away, I carried a mid 1960's vintage blue, German made Walther PPK .32 ACP. Very accurate gun. I took a snap shot, literally "threw the gun" (like in the old cowboy movies), at a running gray squirrel that was raiding the bird feeder until it spotted me and then bolted and I hit it right in the head with the target FMJ ball bullet. I don't know who was more surprised, the squirrel or me! It tumbeled to a stop and I held the gun, staring at it in disbelief. I could not repeat that shot in a million years! Luckiest shot I ever made, although it does say something to how well balanced the little Walthers are. Natural pointers.

Last edited:
Back