Less Common CCW Calibers

"...a loaded and capped cylinder in my glove box..." Humidity will kill the BP.
BP stuff usually stops "not being firearm" in the eyes of the law when you decide it's ok to carry one without a permit.
"...Many people carry smaller calibers..." Yep. And everything and anything chambered in something.

I've heard from my uncle that he knew a guy that carried .36 cap and ball in a cut down 1851 Navy because it's "not a firearm and thus didn't require a permit to carry it."

Depending on state law where you are, that may or may not be legal.

I've carried 357 Sig Glock 32.
Currently carrying 1911 in 45 acp, but will include my 10mm soon.
index.php

Myself regularly carry a P64 9X18mm. Also sometimes carry a CZ50 32acp, both are reliable and shoot well. Or also in the rotation there's a Polish TT33 or a Romanian one in 7.62X25.

"...a loaded and capped cylinder in my glove box..." Humidity will kill the BP.
BP stuff usually stops "not being firearm" in the eyes of the law when you decide it's ok to carry one without a permit.
"...Many people carry smaller calibers..." Yep. And everything and anything chambered in something.
Not if you seal cone and mouth with bee's wax, as the old timers did.

I carry a Makarov in 9x18 sometimes. Might switch to an LCP, though.

I have been known to carry a 45/410 derringer with a 410 slug load. If that can be considered normal then I fit the "normal" pattern.

Man, I wasn't able to check TFL yesterday and was excited to check it when I woke up today and was not disappointed with the responses.

The black powder argument is an interesting one for sure.

Well...I can almost guarentee you that if you try to carry a black powder and/or cap and ball, in Ohio - you better have your lawyer on speed dial.

ORC says this:
"2923.11 Weapons control definitions. As used in sections 2923.11 to 2923.24 of the Revised Code: ... (1) "Firearm" means any deadly weapon capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant."

Where it gets real touchy is where the CHL is concerned.
A CHL is only valid to carry a concealed handgun.

Is a BP a handgun or not?

I really wouldn't want to be the one to put some rather nebulous worded laws to the acid test.

I'd really like to see someone bump up the caliber a bit to something in the 40'-ish range, yet still keep the power level down.
Obviously not the .40 S&W, but, something with a lot less operating pressure.

I think the reason there has been a dearth of development of low pressure rounds above about 9mm is that the physics and geometry start to gang up on the idea.

As opposed to a 9mm (i.e. 0.355 inch) bullet, a 40 caliber (i.e. 0.400 inch) has a diameter that is 12.6% greater, but has a cross-sectional area 27% greater. This means the gun muse be physically larger and that much heavier simply to accommodate the larger bullet.

But, if the pressures are maintained in the 380's and 45's range (i.e. 20,000 psi) the increase in energy in nominal, so a 20,000 psi 40 offers little if any advantage over a 33,000 psi 9mm at the cost of the larger, heavier gun required to shoot it.

But, if the pressures are maintained in the 380's and 45's range (i.e. 20,000 psi) the increase in energy in nominal, so a 20,000 psi 40 offers little if any advantage over a 33,000 psi 9mm at the cost of the larger, heavier gun required to shoot it
Well, on one I hand I agree with your argument-- folks are attracted to numbers such as "energy" and a medium pressure (20k psi, like you suggested) probably wouldn't make for a really spicy .40cal and as a defensive caliber, it may not sell or gain much attraction.

However, you don't need a bigger gun for even the known/established .40 S&W (35k psi) because every facet of the gun is a 9mm that has the .40 shoehorned in to it. The first two .40cal pistols on the market were exactly that, the Glock 22 and the S&W 4006.

Outside of carry/defense, I think I might REALLY enjoy a 20k PSI .40cal, that would be a fantastic paper puncher, I bet.

The first two .40cal pistols on the market were exactly that, the Glock 22 and the S&W 4006.

IIRC, the 4006 was actually built on a larger frame after S&W engineers discovered that the 59-series frames of the time couldn't handle the abuse. After all the 5900's were built on the remaining frames, S&W transitioned to the 40-series frames for both 9mm and .40S&W.

It took Glock and Beretta a little longer to learn this lesson.....

When I started to CC, my only concealable pistol was in .25ACP. Fortunately, I found a good .38Spl snub not long after.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I also carry at times my East German,Bulgarian or Russian Makarov's,PM's. The ammo I carry in them is Russian 109gr military FMJ or Czech 95gr military FMJ. Both the Russian & Czech ammo has some good pop to it. I like the Russian ammo better has more power to it & is heaver at 109gr. I trust that over the 380acp for a sum-caliber.

P.S. I also carry my Sig,226 in 357sig caliber.

Rob, the Glock 29 is NOT painful, at least in my opinion. It's heavy and chunky, spreads recoil out and the polymer frame flexes also. It's a much more "comfortable" platform for full 10mm than a Colt Delta Elite, for example.

Good to know, thanks for the info. Where does it stand as far as parts/holster compatibility? I have a 36 and it is like the red-headed stepchild of Glock parts.

Glock 29 and Glock 30 take the same holster. (Glock 30 is the down-sized double stack .45)

It is a fat handgun, no doubt, and it won't stuff in to a Glock 19 holster but it is not impossible to find solid carry holsters for it. I've been through a few but finally fell in love and settled down from a Front-Line leather IWB. Sorry, it is out of production.

Parts? Well, I didn't do a lot to mine... ISMI guide rod and spring, some night sights... Pearce +0 grip extensions on the magazines. And I used a Dremel to take down offending plastic.

Back