Less Common CCW Calibers

Kvon2

Generally speaking I would say that 380 auto, .38sp, 9mm, 40, 45, and .357mag are the most popular concealed carry calibers (sorry if I left any out).

But I want to hear from folks or folks who know folks who carry something maybe a little different. What have you guys carried/heard of something different?

I've heard from my uncle that he knew a guy that carried .36 cap and ball in a cut down 1851 Navy because it's "not a firearm and thus didn't require a permit to carry it."

At one time I considered keeping my 1858 under a seat and a loaded and capped cylinder in my glove box, but I never got around to buying a spare cylinder and a revolver with an 8 inch barrel takes up space.

I've seen Nuntfancy on youtube do a gun store walkthrough and the guy behind the counter allegedly use to carry a Glock 29 converted to 9x25 Dillon. That's a weird one.

Less common... .38 Super. I would post a picture but Photobucket is holding my pictures captive [Sic, Ransom].

Last edited:
Many people carry smaller calibers. I own an NAA Black Widow in 22 magnum and a Keltec P32 in 32acp. Both of them see carry time. Usually in a front pocket working around the house or when I go to the gym. The P32 gets carried as a bug from time to time also.

On duty and off, I always carry a Colt Gold Cup in 10 mm or .45 ACP IF i'm actually able to conceal it along with either a S&W 342 in .38 Special also IF actually able to conceal it and if not I always have a .25 ACP!!!

My first 7 years of carry was a Glock 29, 10mm. Carried Winchester 175gr Silvertip and then carried Buffalo Bore 180gr JHP later. (these days I carry a Walther PPQ, 9mm)

My brother in law quite often carries a Ruger SP-101 in .327 Federal Magnum.

Years ago, I carried a CZ52 with 7.62x25 for awhile. Also during the same timeframe, I occasionally carried a Bulgarian Makarov in 9mm Makarov.

I've heard from my uncle that he knew a guy that carried .36 cap and ball in a cut down 1851 Navy because it's "not a firearm and thus didn't require a permit to carry it."
Despite being ok under federal laws,,,,,,I'm positive state & local laws took a different view.

(I tried the same thing myself & it didn't fly...state and local laws called BP "guns")

Anyhow - along that line,,,,,most of you newcomers don't go back far enough - 1998,1999,2000 - to remember when CCW was a "privilege enjoyed by only part of the US" - as represented here on TFL.

At that time, the real darling of CCW was - the 9x18 Makarov.

Years prior to that - when concealed carry was a crime in most of the US, the overwhelming favorite was - the .25 acp.

Even a major company - Ruger - was so dead set against civilian carry, they refused to make anything, other than the SP101 (which was really only aimed at the LE market), for concealed carry. It wasn't until long after old Bill kicked the bucket Ruger went down that path.

I prefer to watch the "new stuff" come out and see how innovative they can get. Those tiny pocket .380's just fascinate me no end.
I'd really like to see someone bump up the caliber a bit to something in the 40'-ish range, yet still keep the power level down.
Maybe a 5 shot - .40 or something.
Obviously not the .40 S&W, but, something with a lot less operating pressure.

I've got a pile of Glocks and when I get back to the States plan on getting a Glock 20, up until this thread I had never even known of the 29's existence. It looks painful. But I think I'll add it to the list.

Rob, the Glock 29 is NOT painful, at least in my opinion. It's heavy and chunky, spreads recoil out and the polymer frame flexes also. It's a much more "comfortable" platform for full 10mm than a Colt Delta Elite, for example.

9X18, carried in a either an East German or Bulgarian Makarov.

93-94 grain FMJ....Although I reload, I don't load for this caliber. 9X18 Russian steel case is roughly the same price as 9X19 FMJ. I figure at 9X18 velocity hollow points probably won't expand much and penetration might be less so I just stick with FMJs in this caliber.

But its actually the pistol and not really the caliber that compels me to CCW 9X18.

9mm Makarov

I used to carry my PA-63 a fair amount.
I acquired one of the very early commercial imports that the seller claimed were surplused by the infamous STASI. Paid 89 bucks for a hand picked one.
Have always been very fond of this little cheap shooter. I like the duo tone look and the bluing on my example is gorgeous, very deep and shiny.

Have had only one issue over the years, recoil spring became weak and was replaced I think I bumped the spring up a couple pounds. That fully resolved the occasional FTF's I was getting.

It does get a little rough on the web of my hand after a few magazines at the range. It's pretty light and it's narrow in the grip.

Would love to find a resource that would allow me to date it and/or confirm or deny it's previous owner.

Back